• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

One of the Hulk 9.2's sold for 326 000$!! Hulk will outpace SC 4 with all the new movies coming out and also because he is simply the Hulk!! SC 4 is a great key book to own but Hulk 1 will smash it in the long run. AF15 will always be king of the SA and Hulk 1 will be #2....same as Action 1 and Detective Comics #27.

I could see SC 4 battling it out with FF1 for the number 3 spot but even then FF1 is way ahead and even if they both increase say FF1 at 10% a year and SC 4 say at 15% a year we are talking about a long long time before SC 4 passes FF1.

There is a hype going on right now for SC 4 but that will not last forever maybe a few months more and maybe not.

Edited by Hulk1962

I am saying based on 9.2 prices listed in the overstreet price guide. No way SC 4 is going to pass FF1 (and for sure not Hulk 1 or AF15). Mid grades maybe right now but watch out once Spidey joins the Avengers (movies) and Hulk plays a key role in The Avengers 3 movie.

SC 4 is on a high right now but it will not last. Again great book to own and a historical issue. But Flash is no where near as popular as Spidey or Hulk.

Buy a Hulk 1 over a SC 4. Flash is never going to be popular as Hulk is now and will be later as well.

Edited by Hulk1962

I am saying based on 9.2 prices listed in the overstreet price guide. No way SC 4 is going to pass FF1 (and for sure not Hulk 1 or AF15). Mid grades maybe right now but watch out once Spidey joins the Avengers (movies) and Hulk plays a key role in The Avengers 3 movie.

SC 4 is on a high right now but it will not last. Again great book to own and a historical issue. But Flash is no where near as popular as Spidey or Hulk.

+1

Hence the qualifier of "right now" that was also in my post, which Roy evidently missed. doh!

-J.

Right now it a good time to sell lower to mid grade SC 4's and not a good time to be buying when they are at a all time high. Unless you just have to own one regardless of the price then go ahead by all means buy one.

As for the long run ask young kids who the Flash is they will 95% (if not more) of the time look at you with a ''stupid face'' asking who is that. Talk about Spidey or Hulk and they get all excited. These young people are the future and they are not on the Flash bandwagon.

I see my niece at school and all the kids can't get enough of The Avengers, Spidey and Hulk. Flash is no where to be found (sucks he is one of my favorites of all time but it is what it is).

It is like saying Willie Mays (baseball) will surpass Babe Ruth (AKA AF15) and Mickey Mantle (AKA Hulk 1) one day down the road as far as value and desirability. No way is that ever going to happen. Willie Mays was great even better stats than Mickey Mantle but so many people simply prefer Mantle over Mays.

Edited by Hulk1962

A Showcase 4 CGC 9.2 sold in 2011 for 100K and this was before the price surge and ultimately a Flash TV series. Showcase 4 was the number 1 SA for quite sometimes in the 1990’s till AF15 retook the lead and never looked back. I never saw the Showcase 4 9.6 offered price lower than 925K on Comiclink. To even make a offer...a price of 462.5K would be the starting point. I believe the 300K price would be the 2011 price.

Thanks for clarifying. I still do not see SC4 ever passing AF15 or Hulk 1. SC4 was undervalued for a long time and just picked up speed.....maybe a bit to much speed in such a short period of time (Same can be said for BB28 in the overstreet price guide in the past 2 years but has now slowed down). I imagine 9 people out of 10 who have money to spend will buy a AF15 over a SC4. Same can probably be said for people wanting a Hulk 1 over a SC 4. Eventually the prices on the SC4 will cool down because people will have to make a choice and most will pick the 2 books I just mentioned over SC4.

Edited by Hulk1962

Not a problem. The scarcity of SC4 drives the high price. If BB28 and SC22 was as scarce as SC4, price will double in prices for those two books...of course everything is supply and demand too. Books will be in cycles and this is definitely a strong cycle for SC4 and H1.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Agreed!! How about you do you think SC4 will pass Hulk 1 or AF15? Problem is so few sales happen for Hulk 1 and SC4 in 9.2 or higher that it will be hard to know the current value of each book each and every single year.

On another note Hulk and Spidey will be everywhere in the next 10 years (and most likely much much longer) when it comes to movies been released the same can't be said for Flash (he will be in the Justice League movies but will have to compete with other major characters like Batman and Superman....it will be hard for him to stand out when competing with such super heavyweights playing in the same movie).

Edited by Hulk1962

Rarity does not always mean long term high value look at Detective Comics #1 it goes up 2% a year in value. It's all about popularity and Spidey and Hulk are right there at the top (movies, toys and all kinds of exposure). This generation and the future ones will all know these 2 superheroes but as far as Flash goes I am not sure he will be held in high value. To me even Iron Man and Thor are way more popular than Flash is. Geez even Ant-Man has a movie that was well made and will most likely have a sequel then he will most likely join the Avengers in that movie series.

To me SC4 is like Marvel Comics #1 it use to be the number 1 Golden Age comic it never came to be at that position once Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 took over. Marvel Comics #1 now only goes up very slowly in value every year. Even Superman #1 and All-American Comics #16 have now passed right by it on the top 10 list for GA books. Next Batman #1 will pass it as well. And eventually Captain America Comics #1 will also most likely pass it as well.

It is to bad I really like the Flash but to me he will not stand the test of time. I can see SC4 been ranked between the #4 and #5 spot on the top 10 SA list in the long run.

Edited by Hulk1962

Congrats to whoever picked this up.

Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 @ $18750

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1098901

It's official....Hulk 1 has softened. Showcase 4 is the #2 SA book right now.

I expect Hulk 1 will pick up again , however, once we start seeing trailers for Thor 3.

-J.

So just a couple of weeks ago you argued that SC4 was number 3 with me...however with 1 data point you no change you mind or was is all of the sales data/proof/dealer reports that changed your mind?

Until someone sees fit to spend $320k+ on any copy of an SC 4, hulk 1 is the number 2 book.

-J.

A Showcase 4 CGC 9.2 sold in 2011 for 100K and this was before the price surge and ultimately a Flash TV series. Showcase 4 was the number 1 SA for quite sometimes in the 1990’s till AF15 retook the lead and never looked back. I never saw the Showcase 4 9.6 offered price lower than 925K on Comiclink. To even make a offer...a price of 462.5K would be the starting point. I believe the 300K price would be the 2011 price.

I know who owns the book and I offered it to a few prospective buyers and there were no nibbles at anywhere close to half of the asking price.

Showcase #4 was a slow book for a long time, regardless of it's value in OSPG. For whatever reason, DC buyers in the past just have not spent as much on SA keys as Marvel buyers have.

I did sell several Showcase #4's during the run up including a 9.2, 9.0, 8.0 and several lower grade copies but haven't sold one in over a year but I have followed the market.

That's why I disagree with blanket statements like 'Hulk #1 is #3 now'. In lower grades SC #4 may be trumping it because of relative availability but in higher grades Hulk #1 still a more expensive book in my opinion.

Also, I've learned that peculating what a book would sell for is futile. Only the people shelling out the money know what they'll pay for it. The AF #15 thread is a perfect example of that. Many people thought the book would hit $500K easy and it came about 10% short.

I do have a customer who wants a VF or higher copy of SC #4 if someone want to part with one. :gossip:

I know who owns the book and I offered it to a few prospective buyers and there were no nibbles at anywhere close to half of the asking price.

Showcase #4 was a slow book for a long time, regardless of it's value in OSPG. For whatever reason, DC buyers in the past just have not spent as much on SA keys as Marvel buyers have.

I did sell several Showcase #4's during the run up including a 9.2, 9.0, 8.0 and several lower grade copies but haven't sold one in over a year but I have followed the market.

That's why I disagree with blanket statements like 'Hulk #1 is #3 now'. In lower grades SC #4 may be trumping it because of relative availability but in higher grades Hulk #1 still a more expensive book in my opinion.

Also, I've learned that peculating what a book would sell for is futile. Only the people shelling out the money know what they'll pay for it. The AF #15 thread is a perfect example of that. Many people thought the book would hit $500K easy and it came about 10% short.

I do have a customer who wants a VF or higher copy of SC #4 if someone want to part with one. :gossip:

Of course the higher end market is totally different the pool of buyers is so much smaller it makes it nearly impossible to predict and just takes 2 guys to make a tornado of bidding or a single buyer in the market to get a book for a steal.

Passion4Comics (I think that's who had a 7.5 offered on the boards a few months back). Which might be the same 7.5 in CC next auction.

There hasn't been a public sale of a SC4 in ultra high grade in a while. The upcoming 7.5 will be the highest in a while and can't wait to see it's hammer especially against the Hulk 1 in 8.0

When was the book shopped around? Before the end of the 3rd quarter 2015? Showcase 4 jumped quite a bit in sub 6.0 grades after this period of time. I understand you sold quite a bit of high grade copies of this book :) , but all before? Not too much data for 6.0+ copies recently. The 7.5 being offered on CC next month will test the higher grade mark for this book….even a 7.0 in auction would be something to watch. Regarding the AF15 9.4 which recently sold in Heritage: I believe CGC would have graded the book a 9.6 if it was more “fresh and bright”. I was one of the folks that didn’t think it would hit 500K, but for sure no less than 400K. Books in the 500K is definitely in a arena of its own and the pool is quite thin as you said. With many recent sales data...SC4 is the second in term of value in sub 6.0 grades...and the market will decide in which book in the higher grade. I'm almost 100% certain A SC4 7.5 will sell for more than in H1 in the same grade appeal.

When was the book shopped around? Before the end of the 3rd quarter 2015? Showcase 4 jumped quite a bit in sub 6.0 grades after this period of time. I understand you sold quite a bit of high grade copies of this book :) , but all before? Not too much data for 6.0+ copies recently. The 7.5 being offered on CC next month will test the higher grade mark for this book….even a 7.0 in auction would be something to watch. Regarding the AF15 9.4 which recently sold in Heritage: I believe CGC would have graded the book a 9.6 if it was more “fresh and bright”. I was one of the folks that didn’t think it would hit 500K, but for sure no less than 400K. Books in the 500K is definitely in a arena of its own and the pool is quite thin as you said. With many recent sales data...SC4 is the second in term of value in sub 6.0 grades...and the market will decide in which book in the higher grade. I'm almost 100% certain A SC4 7.5 will sell for more than in H1 in the same grade appeal.

FF1 is hardly included in these "who is number 2" discussions. :sorry:

:hi: