• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

I did read back, but still don't get your point. If a 4.5 is a 13k or 13.5K book, then why would a 5.5 selling for $19,499 and a 6.5 selling for $30,200 be outliers? It sounds pretty consistent to me.

Because as I stated, the 5.5 and the 6.5 looked to me like they had a shot at being improvable...so they are not true values for books in those grades.

What do you suppose are fair prices for a 5.5 and 6.5?

I would have considered them to be less than $20K and $30K, but if the market has moved (based on what I consider outlier numbers) then I guess I'm on the wrong side of right, as F_D once put it.

This is the entire reason that Clink and other auction houses don't want to report to GPA - because their sales are below GPA highs (or even averages) on a regular basis.

This is entirely speculation on your part. It could just be that they are keeping their sales prices proprietary because some books sell for more as well. It's a two way street.

That only makes sense if the hammer prices were only available to those who bid. While the duration for finding them isn't particularly long (depending on the auction house, some are very long), the final prices are public knowledge.

Maybe they have other reasons, but GPA has gone on record on the boards more than once stating that the reason some of these auction houses aren't in the tool is because they wanted to pick and choose which data to report, which GPA was not supportive of.

:shrug:

This is the entire reason that Clink and other auction houses don't want to report to GPA - because their sales are below GPA highs (or even averages) on a regular basis.

This is entirely speculation on your part. It could just be that they are keeping their sales prices proprietary because some books sell for more as well. It's a two way street.

That only makes sense if the hammer prices were only available to those who bid. While the duration for finding them isn't particularly long (depending on the auction house, some are very long), the final prices are public knowledge.

Maybe they have other reasons, but GPA has gone on record on the boards more than once stating that the reason some of these auction houses aren't in the tool is because they wanted to pick and choose which data to report, which GPA was not supportive of.

CLink does consider their sales price proprietary, which is why GPA can't just harvest them all for their site.

CLink does consider their sales price proprietary, which is why GPA can't just harvest them all for their site.

Just as there is a benefit to knowing what record low sales were, there is also benefit to a seller to know what record high sales were.

The Hulk 1 4.5 was worth what I paid for it.

I think it was actually worth a little more, but then the seller knew that and priced it for quick sale. (thumbs u

You can call it what you want, but the information is still public.

Proprietary data or information is not freely shared, Clink's sales are open after the sale to anyone who wants to see them. Based on that your point doesn't make much sense.

Regardless, I am fine with CLink doing whatever they want with their data - however, I maintain that a core reason they don't share is to avoid more broadly publicizing low sales. The higher the sales, the bigger their cut - so...

Edited by rfoiii

Proprietary data or information is not freely shared, Clink's sales are open after the sale to anyone who wants to see them.

Based on that your point doesn't make much sense.

All sorts of proprietary data are available publicly. The copyright owners ordinarily don't object to the data's private use, but they often do object if you attempt to use the data in a product you sell for profit. CLink, obviously, makes the results of its actions available for a time on its web site, but that doesn't mean they lack the legal right to keep the data from being used on the GPA web site.

Similarly, there are a lot of financial web sites that publish data that you can't republish for profit without permission. Even the Federal Reserve Banks, if you read the fine print on their web sites, require you to receive permission to reproduce much of the data, tables, and charts they generate and post on their sites.

Just because you make data public doesn't mean you are surrendering your copyright on that data.

Proprietary data or information is not freely shared, Clink's sales are open after the sale to anyone who wants to see them.

Based on that your point doesn't make much sense.

All sorts of proprietary data are available publicly. The copyright owners ordinarily don't object to the data's private use, but they often do object if you attempt to use the data in a product you sell for profit. CLink, obviously, makes the results of its actions available for a time on its web site, but that doesn't mean they lack the legal right to keep the data from being used on the GPA web site.

Similarly, there are a lot of financial web sites that publish data that you can't republish for profit without permission. Even the Federal Reserve Banks, if you read the fine print on their web sites, require you to receive permission to reproduce much of the data, tables, and charts they generate and post on their sites.

Just because you make data public doesn't mean you are surrendering your copyright on that data.

Gotcha, point taken.

Back to the discussion: I still contend a core reason the data is not provided is to prevent circulation of low sales.

I understand your point that they treat it as "proprietary;" however, it does not invalidate my original statement.

Edited by rfoiii

Back to the discussion: I still contend a core reason the data is not provided is to prevent circulation of low sales.

I understand your point that they treat it as "proprietary;" however, it does not invalidate my original statement.

I always wondered if the whole "we don't want to share out auction results because they are our property" thing was a smoke screen to the fact that they were barely holding their database and website together with chewing gum, a shoestring, and code from 1997. So they really didn't want to expose their coding laundry to an outside party...

CGC 4.0 OW went for $9,100 tonight on ComicLink. Looking at GPA, that's a bit to the south of two sales in the same grade late last year and well to the south of several sales earlier in 2015 and in late 2014.

This thread needs a bump, so how about my new 5.5! To say I'm pumped is an understatement.... I had wanted to upgrade for quite some time. To sum it up, I now know the meaning of comic rich and cash poor lol I am a proud SA collector and everytime my son sees the Hulk and does his grumble, it makes me smile!

image_zpslxfyieuh.jpeg

image_zpsijktfiea.jpeg

This thread needs a bump, so how about my new 5.5! To say I'm pumped is an understatement.... I had wanted to upgrade for quite some time. To sum it up, I now know the meaning of comic rich and cash poor lol I am a proud SA collector and everytime my son sees the Hulk and does his grumble, it makes me smile!

image_zpslxfyieuh.jpeg

image_zpsijktfiea.jpeg

Wow great copy ! :applause:

-J.

image_zpslxfyieuh.jpeg

image_zpsijktfiea.jpeg

Wow great copy ! :applause:

-J.

Very nice and WHITE pages....congrats.

image_zpslxfyieuh.jpeg

image_zpsijktfiea.jpeg

whoa way to go! :applause:

Very nice. I can't wait to join this club.
you should buy one of my copies and you'd be in

Well Rick, I did buy my 5.5 SC4 from you years ago.....

I'm not quite on the hunt yet, but i will keep it in mind when I am. (thumbs u

image_zpslxfyieuh.jpeg

image_zpsijktfiea.jpeg

That's one "Fein" Hulk, Spidey!

:banana: