• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

Heritage Hulk 1 CGC 7.5 @ 43k

Nice looking book. Weak result.

Yeah, I'm thinking that -- at least for now -- the fever has broken for IH 1.

Hope this calms down the "H1 is catching up with AF15" crowd.

A while back I looked at the increase in IH 1 copies in mid-grades (4.0 to 6.0) on the census. It was fairly substantial and tracked the blowup in prices that began a couple of years ago.

Depending on how you look at it, either the market will take off again once those additional books are absorbed or maybe this book is going to be stuck at its current levels for a considerable period.

Heritage Hulk 1 CGC 7.5 @ 43k

Nice looking book. Weak result.

Yeah, I'm thinking that -- at least for now -- the fever has broken for IH 1.

Hope this calms down the "H1 is catching up with AF15" crowd.

A while back I looked at the increase in IH 1 copies in mid-grades (4.0 to 6.0) on the census. It was fairly substantial and tracked the blowup in prices that began a couple of years ago.

Depending on how you look at it, either the market will take off again once those additional books are absorbed or maybe this book is going to be stuck at its current levels for a considerable period.

Great book to own but I still rank it 4th on the list.

AF15, FF1, S4 top 3...but that's just my 'ole fashioned ranking. ;)

I would say it was a good result... weak? come on....

If a book doesn't go over GPA every sale it's a weak result. Come on man, you know that! Get with the program? This book should resell for $150,000 next year. If it doesn't the market has crashed!

I would say it was a good result... weak? come on....

Compared to the 50k sale last year for same grade I'd say sure.

one outlier sale doesn't make a market...clearly this copy sold for approx. fmv based on multiple sales supporting level (thumbs u

I agree.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this micro-analyzing of the market is just silly. Everyone who is watching each specific sale and plotting a trajectory based on each outcome just has no idea how a market works. It's ridiculous and it's dangerous for the market because it makes the market seem volatile - and it happens in many of the discussions for key book sales.

Books always sell for a little more or a little less. That doesn't mean bull or bear market. You can't establish a trend with just one or two sales.

Especially if the books in question have significant differences in page quality, centering, registration, wrap, color, gloss, writing/date stamps, and overall eye appeal.

The number in the corner can therefore mean very little when it comes to establishing a market value for a particular issue, although in some cases where all those factors are roughly the same we can begin to compare apples to apples.

Finally, we should remember that once someone wins, say, a Hulk #1 in 7.5 that person is probably not bidding up the next 7.5 that comes to market; it's one fewer bidder on the market for a particular book in grade. It always takes two to tango, especially at auction.

Dan

Especially if the books in question have significant differences in page quality, centering, registration, wrap, color, gloss, writing/date stamps, and overall eye appeal.

The number in the corner can therefore mean very little when it comes to establishing a market value for a particular issue, although in some cases where all those factors are roughly the same we can begin to compare apples to apples.

Finally, we should remember that once someone wins, say, a Hulk #1 in 7.5 that person is probably not bidding up the next 7.5 that comes to market; it's one fewer bidder on the market for a particular book in grade. It always takes two to tango, especially at auction.

Dan

"Very little" greatly understates the importance of the numerical grade. Other characteristics of the book matter, of course, but the numerical grade is far more important than any other factor.

The one fewer bidder point can be important, but more with respect to GA or other books where trading is thin. With SA keys, there are always dealers circling around waiting to pounce on a book that is about to sell well below FMV.

Good point -- I didn't mean to suggest it meant next to nothing. I just meant that a lot of bidders won't go after a number if the book doesn't appeal to them aesthetically, regardless of the CGC grade. It just can reduce the pool of interest.

Dealers, however, won't care nearly as much if they think they can get the CGC grade number for "less than market".

Dan

Congrats to whoever picked this up.

Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 @ $18750

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1098901

It's official....Hulk 1 has softened. Showcase 4 is the #2 SA book right now.

I expect Hulk 1 will pick up again , however, once we start seeing trailers for Thor 3.

-J.

Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 @ $18750

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1098901

I expect Hulk 1 will pick up again , however, once we start seeing trailers for Thor 3.

-J.

The jump H1 made the last year is unsustainable. I agree it's just a pause and will prices will pick up again. Showcase 4 is the #2 SA book. (worship)

Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 @ $18750

-J.

The jump H1 made the last year is unsustainable. I agree it's just a pause and will prices will pick up again. Showcase 4 is the #2 SA book. (worship)

You only "worship" because you have all Top 3 SA books in ridiculous grades. ;)

-J.

Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 @ $18750

-J.

-J.

Buy you have more Keys...I like the signature line of yours. :cool:

Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 @ $18750

-J.

-J.

Psssh. Thanks ! But I can afford to buy more keys when it's only mid grade schlock. lol

-J.

Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 @ $18750

-J.

-J.

Psssh. Thanks ! But I can afford to buy more keys when it's only mid grade schlock. lol

-J.

Mid-grade is the sweet spot. I would call that Cap 1 high grade. lol

More Jaydogrules speak.

A Hulk #1 in 9.2 sold for $300K twice. There is still a 9.4 copy that sits in a collection and is not for sale.

Meanwhile a single highest graded Showcase #4 CGC 9.6 had no takers last year, even at $300K.