• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2021 at 1:44 AM, Dark Knight said:

Or it could also mean silver age keys with SS labels sell for less than universal graded copies

No, that's likely not it.  The witnessed signature version of most books, especially keys, usually go for significantly more than their non-SS counterparts.  GPA will quickly confirm that with few exceptions. For example, sticking with IH#1 and looking at next grade down, a 4.5 SS sold for $18500 in June 2018 (!), when the two 4.5s sold that year sold for only $14.4K and $14850.  And a 5.5 SS sold for $20K in March 2016, when the three sales of non-SS 5.5 that year were for only $15,535, $17,860, and $16,200.  I only have a couple of biggies (high-grade, too) signed by Stan, and I like them a lot.   But I hear you, and being conservative with respect to covers is certainly sensible.  Good thing there's something for everyone in this hobby.  (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/24/2021 at 7:52 AM, Pantodude said:
On 8/23/2021 at 10:44 PM, Dark Knight said:

Or it could also mean silver age keys with SS labels sell for less than universal graded copies

No, that's likely not it.  The witnessed signature version of most books, especially keys, usually go for significantly more than their non-SS counterparts.  GPA will quickly confirm that with few exceptions. For example, sticking with IH#1 and looking at next grade down, a 4.5 SS sold for $18500 in June 2018 (!), when the two 4.5s sold that year sold for only $14.4K and $14850.  And a 5.5 SS sold for $20K in March 2016, when the three sales of non-SS 5.5 that year were for only $15,535, $17,860, and $16,200.  I only have a couple of biggies (high-grade, too) signed by Stan, and I like them a lot.   But I hear you, and being conservative with respect to covers is certainly sensible.  Good thing there's something for everyone in this hobby.  (thumbsu

You also have to take into consideration that there are not a lot of SS silver age books vs universal and restored books out there so sometimes it's hard to determine a price.  It's like a dart throw on how much a buyer wants to pay.  I'm just looking at Hulk 1 GPA right now and saw that a CGC 6.0 signed by Stan Lee sold for $22,800 in 2018.  A universal graded 6.0 sold that same year for $25k and another for $27,500. Also a 5.0 SS sold earlier this year (Feb.) for $21,550 and a universal one sold on Jan. for $20,350 (not much of a difference).  It's a very small sample size due in part to the SS version being so much less out there, but based on those data, the price difference is not significantly more as you mentioned.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, Dark Knight said:

You also have to take into consideration that there are not a lot of SS silver age books vs universal and restored books out there so sometimes it's hard to determine a price.  It's like a dart throw on how much a buyer wants to pay.  I'm just looking at Hulk 1 GPA right now and saw that a CGC 6.0 signed by Stan Lee sold for $22,800 in 2018.  A universal graded 6.0 sold that same year for $25k and another for $27,500. Also a 5.0 SS sold earlier this year (Feb.) for $21,550 and a universal one sold on Jan. for $20,350 (not much of a difference).  It's a very small sample size due in part to the SS version being so much less out there, but based on those data, the price difference is not significantly more as you mentioned.

Pre-pandemic, I saw big sig premiums more often than not, often along the lines of the examples I gave, across every title/issue, be it GA, SA, or BA.  With less experienced folks in the hobby now, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more "exceptions" to the norm depeding on the crowd that's bidding/buying, but there is no reason to doubt that the long-standing trend of witnessed sig premiums will continue as before.  Anyway, like you say, small sample sizes could cloud things a bit.   It is what it is.  But people pay up for what they like.  That's okay.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/24/2021 at 1:44 AM, Dark Knight said:

Or it could also mean silver age keys with SS labels sell for less than universal graded copies. I for one am not a fan of signatures on covers of silver age keys.  I've never bought into ever since, never will...

Can’t stand writing/sigs on covers

On 8/24/2021 at 3:50 PM, Blue_Bolt said:

Here is my copy I just picked up recently.  It was 15K which wasn't the best deal and was about 2K more than I was hoping to spend for the condition, but I was having a horrible time trying to find a lower grade affordable copy that presented decently, so I just bit the bullet and bought it.

hulk1.jpg

Honestly, $15k is pretty reasonable. It may feel like an overpay now, but you got a nice presenting copy with great colors and eye appeal! 

Edited by KCOComics

It was 15K

On 8/26/2021 at 8:51 AM, KCOComics said:

Honestly, $15k is pretty reasonable. It may feel like an overpay now, but you got a nice presenting copy with great colors and eye appeal! 

Agree. FYI, for some reason Heritage's 5/30/21 $16,200 sale of a 2.5 is not reflected on GPA.  That, and the much higher recent valuations for a 2.0 suggest you done good!  (thumbsu  

Edited by Pantodude

Here is my copy I just picked up recently.  It was 15K which wasn't the best deal and was about 2K more than I was hoping to spend for the condition, but I was having a horrible time trying to find a lower grade affordable copy that presented decently, so I just bit the bullet and bought it.

hulk1.jpg

Having personally played this game since last November, yes in November that would have felt stout, now, not so much. I agree with others, you will be happy in due time as this book is not coming up every day like some of the others.

Congrats and it looks great.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:50 PM, Blue_Bolt said:

hulk1.jpg

Great colors !

On 8/31/2021 at 10:23 PM, Dark Knight said:

Would be interesting to see what that CBCS 9.8 IGB Corp. Hulk 1 book sells for tomorrow.  I believe it sold on social media for around $30k-$35k.  Don't really know the exact number as it was a private sale, but I do remember that was the asking price.  

Is that the copy from the people that tried or are trying to sue CGC because CGC refused to grade their books?

On 8/31/2021 at 8:03 PM, DocHoppus182 said:
On 8/31/2021 at 7:23 PM, Dark Knight said:

Would be interesting to see what that CBCS 9.8 IGB Corp. Hulk 1 book sells for tomorrow.  I believe it sold on social media for around $30k-$35k.  Don't really know the exact number as it was a private sale, but I do remember that was the asking price.  

Is that the copy from the people that tried or are trying to sue CGC because CGC refused to grade their books?

Yep!

On 8/31/2021 at 10:23 PM, Dark Knight said:

Could you provide a link to this book?  I'd like to learn more about it.