• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2021 at 8:32 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Sold mine on CL this evening. I will miss been part of this club but sometimes you have to let go and move along for others to take over.

saw that. 42k! nice, congrats! now you can pay for those holiday presents.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:32 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Sold mine on CL this evening. I will miss been part of this club but sometimes you have to let go and move along for others to take over.

On 12/30/2021 at 8:47 AM, alexgross.com said:

saw that. 42k! nice, congrats! now you can pay for those holiday presents.

What grade was it? 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

What grade was it? 

Curious myself we did not get the sales update with link since we normally get those updates.

Joking aside, 

Congrats on the sale, that was a nice copy and would be hard to let go of.

I can also say my Instagram messenger has went bezerk the last couple weeks trying to pry away my copy. 

On 12/19/2021 at 5:59 PM, UncleBEN said:

Pretty strong result here , and apologies if this has already been shared. 

9.0 OW-W  $490K and pretty sure its the same book offered to me a couple years ago for significantly less.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/942023 

Pretty clear trend on this book, if you do not have a copy I would get in while you still can. 

Yes, not sure why it took them so long, but I just received their email notification on this private sales transaction on Thursday for this Hulk 1 at $490K:  :applause:

inc1.10303_2.jpg

I noticed it gave them a chance to emphsize that although CC is well known for their auctions, they also have a "robust private sales business" with their long and deep connections, which is clearly evident as several of their big record setting sales results on key books have been transacted through this method.  (thumbsu

On 1/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, c_mkv said:

Will be interesting to see where this ends, that chipping/pre-chipping is pretty extensive.

Anyone know why there's never(?) Marvel chipping on the back covers?

On 12/9/2021 at 6:48 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Not hype just posting sales to keep up to date. And letting members know if they own one what is going on in the market.These books need no hype they are mega keys they do it on their own.

It is a fun part of the hobby for me I enjoy watching sales and keeping track.

Once you reach a certain stage in your collection and don't buy many books per year following sales let's me be part of the hobby on almost a daily basis and provides happiness.

So what you're saying is money makes you happy. Got it. 

Wow, this place has changed. It might be time for me to leave for good. I used to love this place. Now I can hardly stand it. 

On 12/19/2021 at 8:59 PM, UncleBEN said:

Pretty strong result here , and apologies if this has already been shared. 

9.0 OW-W  $490K and pretty sure its the same book offered to me a couple years ago for significantly less.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/942023 

Pretty clear trend on this book, if you do not have a copy I would get in while you still can. 

That's where i thought the book should have gone a long time ago. It's by far the toughest of the big keys in grade. 

I tried to broker a deal on the lone Hulk #1 9.4 about 5 or 6 years ago and even then it was thought to be a $1MIL book.

The only reason this book didn't pop sooner is because the movie spec guys didn't have a Hulk series to latch onto, but it's a killer book. 

I sold a 9.0 about 7 years ago for a fraction of this new result. 

On 1/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, VintageComics said:

That's where i thought the book should have gone a long time ago. It's by far the toughest of the big keys in grade. 

I tried to broker a deal on the lone Hulk #1 9.4 about 5 or 6 years ago and even then it was thought to be a $1MIL book.

The only reason this book didn't pop sooner is because the movie spec guys didn't have a Hulk series to latch onto, but it's a killer book. 

I sold a 9.0 about 7 years ago for a fraction of this new result. 

Well said!

I chased a 9.2 for quite some time and one of the biggest regrets is not pulling the trigger on it a few years ago.

It is a very tough book in grade and unfortunately it appears that is becoming more and more apparent.

To this date it is still the only Marvel key that has eluded me in high grade and if trends keep pushing the envelope it will continue that way.

Did you also try to broker a 9.2 a little while back?

On 1/2/2022 at 7:06 AM, drbanner said:

Will be interesting to see where this ends, that chipping/pre-chipping is pretty extensive.

Anyone know why there's never(?) Marvel chipping on the back covers?

As you draw a knife across layers of paper, the top layer is the most likely to tear unevenly and the bottom layer is the least likely.  I can't intelligently say why, but it's definitely the case whether you're cutting stacks of paper or foam core or whatever.  And it's definitely due to a blade that has dulled.  It's happened to me (not on comics) many, many times.

Edit:  After thinking about it, it's probably due to the resistance the layers provide against the paper pulling.  If you think about it, the top layer has nothing and the bottom layer has all the layers above pushing down.  2c

Edited by Randall Dowling
Possibility

On 1/7/2022 at 12:55 AM, UncleBEN said:

Well said!

I chased a 9.2 for quite some time and one of the biggest regrets is not pulling the trigger on it a few years ago.

It is a very tough book in grade and unfortunately it appears that is becoming more and more apparent.

To this date it is still the only Marvel key that has eluded me in high grade and if trends keep pushing the envelope it will continue that way.

Did you also try to broker a 9.2 a little while back?

Most people don't want to bite the bullet and wait for others to step in and see a trend before they jump in. Unfortunately, once the trend starts it's too late. Prices take off.

I've always just bit the bullet and bought what I wanted since most of the time it's going to cost me more later. I realize not everyone thinks that way, but everyone has their own risk tolerances. 

I was looking for a 9.2 for a client. Never found one. 

On 1/7/2022 at 2:38 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Sure it does and anyone that says otherwise in life is lying to themselves and to others. When you work hard all your entire life and nothing comes free you sure learn to appreciate having a hobby that not only brings fun but also a potential return on investment.

Spare me the true collector versus the collector who also cares about the value of his collection. I have been a collector for well over 4-5 decades. If you do not like the fact that is what brings happiness to some of us just do your thing and we will do ours not that complicated really.

I will make a deal with you since you don't care about value I will buy every book you have from the GA or SA at cover price not a penny more. But I assume you are a dealer so you can't do that since money is your bread and butter meaning value matters.

I didn't say I don't care about value. Money just doesn't make me happy. :gossip:

In fact, I don't think money makes ANYONE happy. Otherwise, rich people would never be depressed. 

For me, giving money away actually makes me happy. There's probably not a better high than helping other people. 

On 1/7/2022 at 10:26 AM, october said:

PM sent

I should qualify that. Helping people in need.

I've seen your collection posts. I think I need some of your books. lol

I think the Marvel #9 and Whiz #2(3)  that I got from you years ago will go down as my favorite purchases not only from you, but almost ever. Those books were so SWEET!

Edited by VintageComics

On 1/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, VintageComics said:

I should qualify that. Helping people in need.

I've seen your collection posts. I think I need some of your books. lol

I think the Marvel #9 and Whiz #2(3)  that I got from you years ago will go down as my favorite purchases not only from you, but almost ever. Those books were so SWEET!

You still have them? :wishluck:

Wait, MM 9 or 4? That 4...lord. I know it had a bit of resto, but what a BLAZING copy. 

Edited by october

On 1/7/2022 at 10:33 AM, october said:

You still have them? :wishluck:

Wait, MM 9 or 4? That 4...lord. I know it had a bit of resto, but what a BLAZING copy. 

I don't think the MMC #9 had restor but that was almost 15 years ago so I can't remember and I've owned a few.

Strangely, I sold  along with a few other big books at the time to invest after the market collapse of 2008 (and I bought a 5.0 copy to replace it) but I just talked to the owner this morning after not talking to them for several years and they still have it. I have first dibs when they decide to move it. 

That is tied with #1 and #4 as the greatest Marvels of all time in my books.