• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
12 12

2,260 posts in this topic

For those who didn't know, Fred's brother was Hugh Harman.

Hugh was one of the founding fathers of the Warner Bros. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer animation studios.

New York Times Obituary: November 30, 1982

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 29— Hugh Harman, the Oscar-winning creator of the ''Looney Tunes'' cartoons, died Thursday at his home in Chatsworth after a long illness. He was 79 years old.

Mr. Harman, a self-taught animation pioneer and one of Walt Disney's first collaborators, also created the ''Merrie Melodies'' cartoons that gave the world such memorable characters as the catand-mouse duo Tom and Jerry, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester and Tweetie.

Mr. Harman and his partner, Rudolph Ising, won the Oscar for their 1940 cartoon ''The Milky Way.'' The partners had seven Oscar nominations between them, and Mr. Harman also was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his 1939 antiwar feature, ''Peace on Earth.''

Mr. Harman, who started his career in 1922 at Disney's studio in Kansas City, Mo., later worked as an independent producer for Warner Bros. and then went on to M-G-M. He is survived by his son, Michael; two grandsons, and a nephew, Fred Harman 3d.

Hugh was one of the founding fathers of the Warner Bros. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer animation studios.

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 29— Hugh Harman, the Oscar-winning creator of the ''Looney Tunes'' cartoons, died Thursday at his home in Chatsworth after a long illness. He was 79 years old.

Mr. Harman, a self-taught animation pioneer and one of Walt Disney's first collaborators, also created the ''Merrie Melodies'' cartoons that gave the world such memorable characters as the catand-mouse duo Tom and Jerry, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester and Tweetie.

Mr. Harman and his partner, Rudolph Ising, won the Oscar for their 1940 cartoon ''The Milky Way.'' The partners had seven Oscar nominations between them, and Mr. Harman also was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his 1939 antiwar feature, ''Peace on Earth.''

Mr. Harman, who started his career in 1922 at Disney's studio in Kansas City, Mo., later worked as an independent producer for Warner Bros. and then went on to M-G-M. He is survived by his son, Michael; two grandsons, and a nephew, Fred Harman 3d.

Didn't know that. Thanks BZ! (shrug)

+1. Interesting info BZ.

Here's my only pick-up from the Ruben Blades books auctioned last year. Plenty of great books but too many with brittle pages.

medium.jpg

Edited by damonwad

9193993301_1caf5832a0_c.jpg

Atlas published a lot of different westerns. I didn't post pictures of All Western Winners and Black Rider which weren't in the pile.

Cool books. I never know what to call the books before the "Atlas Globe" appears on the covers. They go from the Marvel Bullet (?) to nothing, then to the globe. I assume the ones with nothing are considered Atlas but I've seen some

with the Marvel notation listed as Marvel and Atlas by CGC. Each of the following show Interstate Publishing as publisher.

WesternOutlawsandSheriffs63_zps3a095412.jpg

WesternOutlawsandSheriffs65_zps3ed902fd.jpg

Edited by damonwad

+1. Funniest is that I was reading about Hugh this morning. I started Vol. 2 of the Ghez's Walt's People series and was reading a Fritz Freleng interview about the early Alice and Oswald days at the Hyperion location and animating there was Freleng, Harman, Iwerks, Rudy Ising. Here's one funny bit, Roy used to pick up Freleng and Harman after breakfast but they had to walk home and quotes Freleng: "But after work we had to walk home, because he didn't care when we got home, but he did care when we got to work!"

+1. Funniest is that I was reading about Hugh this morning. I started Vol. 2 of the Ghez's Walt's People series and was reading a Fritz Freleng interview about the early Alice and Oswald days at the Hyperion location and animating there was Freleng, Harman, Iwerks, Rudy Ising. Here's one funny bit, Roy used to pick up Freleng and Harman after breakfast but they had to walk home and quotes Freleng: "But after work we had to walk home, because he didn't care when we got home, but he did care when we got to work!"

Somehow the existence of Didier Ghez's series of books about Disney eluded me. :o

41PES%2BvJRGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for mentioning them. They look like a must read.

My pleasure. I find them interesting but I like odd stuff that others would find boring but first person accounts are fascinating. Was reading a Ward Kimball interview this morning where he mentioned hating animating Jiminny Cricket and praising Ferguson's handling of the witch in Snow White. His recollection of the premiere of Snow White is also interesting though one wonders if some of his comments are apocryphal / distorted.

I have a read a couple of those and enjoyed them. I would have read more but they are a little pricey in their physical print editions.

I have a read a couple of those and enjoyed them. I would have read more but they are a little pricey in their physical print editions.

Agreed for PoD books but they work for birthdays and holidays request.

Any particular anecdote(s) that remains in your mind?

Here's to a successful weekend at the box office.

LoneRangerComics1FallenIceCream_zps7faec0f1.jpg

I had doubts when I saw the original photos of Johnny Depp and when I saw the Lone Ranger's black suit and when I saw the bird on Tonto's head but I was wrong. Everything worked. Better than the Pirates of the Caribbean...and I loved the horse, Silver, of course.

5417117496_32809b00e0_z.jpg

and the Trains... :cloud9:

9231566804_7f724049b4_o.jpg

9231566622_1502c62a1c_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Surprising results at the box office and an unusual less than stellar showing for Johnny Depp and the Bruckheimer team. I don't expect a sequel is going to be made.

I have not seen the movie but am disappointed it got panned by the critics then didn't seem to capture an audience. Too bad; the Lone Ranger will have to wait for another day to shine.

Surprising results at the box office and an unusual less than stellar showing for Johnny Depp and the Bruckheimer team. I don't expect a sequel is going to be made.

I have not seen the movie but am disappointed it got panned by the critics then didn't seem to capture an audience. Too bad; the Lone Ranger will have to wait for another day to shine.

I don't think there will ever be a better effort. A sequel would be fun if it is in the contracts of the principals. However, I don't think it will happen unless there is more support by word of mouth.

I enjoyed this movie more than The Avengers. I liked both but LR was more fun. Unfortunately, teenagers who control the market and parents who want family movies were not there. The big winner of the weekend, Despicable Me II, was a rehash of the same fart jokes from DM, which I enjoyed. People like what they find familiar and The Lone Ranger is a new twist on the old westerns. Perhaps the bad guys were too bad and the Lone Ranger wasn't super human but Tonto was a strong character that deserved to be the center of attention. The origin story with Butch Cavendish was the same but a little more graphic than a TV western from 1950. I enjoyed it. Give it a chance if you are tired of Marvel Superhero remakes.

I don't think there will ever be a better effort. A sequel would be fun if it is in the contracts of the principals. However, I don't think it will happen unless there is more support by word of mouth.

I enjoyed this movie more than The Avengers. I liked both but LR was more fun. Unfortunately, teenagers who control the market and parents who want family movies were not there. The big winner of the weekend, Despicable Me II, was a rehash of the same fart jokes from DM, which I enjoyed. People like what they find familiar and The Lone Ranger is a new twist on the old westerns. Perhaps the bad guys were too bad and the Lone Ranger wasn't super human but Tonto was a strong character that deserved to be the center of attention. The origin story with Butch Cavendish was the same but a little more graphic than a TV western from 1950. I enjoyed it. Give it a chance if you are tired of Marvel Superhero remakes.

I will certainly see it; but with time limits an in theater experience may or may not happen. I remember when Unforgiven came out and it reinvigorated the Western. Too bad this one doesn't seem to be striking the same fire.