• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

It looks like what was the western comics' strongest selling point after 1949 is the same thing that makes them so unappealing to many of us today: photo covers. I'm sure I'm not alone in finding these as repellant as Krytonite. That, plus the fact that so many of them were centered around Hollywood cowboys, rather than historic fiction about the old West.

That Everett Target is one of my favorites. Looks like Sub Mariner on a horse.

Your copy is nice, Ameri. A few years ago, I was looking hard to get one of these and almost all the copies I saw had a real pronounced bleed through on the horses chest of a gyroscope (from an inside front cover ad).

I think one of Metro's copies was the only high grade one I saw with no bleed through.

I looked at this collection of books last week. The collector is retired and when I walked into his basement, he had 40 long boxes of material...All organized, priced and alphabetical order......and 96% of it was westerns from the 1950s-1960s....Which I know nothing....All of it was mid to low grade, but the collection was impressive.

Here is my earliest Western Four Color from 1946.

by the later part of the series it seemed that maybe half of the books were Western's with Photo covers based on TV series. Maverick, Have Gun will Travel, Bonanza, Tales of Wells Fargo, Johnny Mac Brown, Wyatt Earp Wagon Train etc

fc125.jpg

I have had numerous debates with collectors about the "popularity" of western comics.

So I thought I would ask here and get some opinions from those who care about this genre.

Is the number of collectors dropping year to year?

Is this going to affect the value of western comics long term?

will prices stabilize due to their rarity and historic importance?

or will this modern superhero age continue to ignore the western classics ?

will the average age of the western collector keep rising ?

look forward to hearing your comments

thanks

I have had numerous debates with collectors about the "popularity" of western comics.

So I thought I would ask here and get some opinions from those who care about this genre.

Is the number of collectors dropping year to year?

Is this going to affect the value of western comics long term?

will prices stabilize due to their rarity and historic importance?

or will this modern superhero age continue to ignore the western classics ?

will the average age of the western collector keep rising ?

look forward to hearing your comments

thanks

Is the number of collectors dropping year to year? Yes

Is this going to affect the value of western comics long term?Yes

will prices stabilize due to their rarity and historic importance? No, Checking the GPA most of them have dropped in price this last decade.

or will this modern superhero age continue to ignore the western classics ? Yes

will the average age of the western collector keep rising ? Yes

The biggest example why western comics will not rise up like superheroes is the Lone Ranger movie. The Lone Ranger is probably the most important and famous western hero, and the recent big budget blockbuster movie didn`t seem to bring prices up before or after the movie debuted. (shrug)

btw I love the western genre, but most comic book fans don`t.

Is the number of collectors dropping year to year? Yes

Is this going to affect the value of western comics long term? Yes, but see next answer.

will prices stabilize due to their rarity and historic importance? I think they've already stabilized at just the basic accepted "value" for a old comic that isn't non-Disney humor. Ie, $5 to $20 each, depending. (Talking about basic Dell/Charlton/Fawcett westerns here.) As people have noted, high grade keeps falling but for people who want these books to read them or have a run, they still sell pretty well for me at $5 to $20.

or will this modern superhero age continue to ignore the western classics ? Yes

will the average age of the western collector keep rising ? Yes, by definition. I feel the 40-year-olds are the last ones to have grown up watching westerns as kids on daytime reruns.

"btw I love the western genre, but most comic book fans don`t."

Ditto! I actually have a hard time keeping the cheap ones in stock but I don't seek them out. It's amazing to me how different the war and western genres are. I know a lot of war collectors and have a chance to get wantlist books from them, but I need a bunch of DC westerns for a customer and have no idea where to get them. I may need to run a WTB one of these days but I don't expect it would turn up much.

Edited by HouseofComics.Com

I'm assuming you didn't buy it. 40 long boxes of books no one wants. Kinda heart breaking.

I sell westerns at every show. They don't fly off the shelves and they don't sell for a lot but they do sell. There are die hard collectors who haven't died off yet.

At the last show I did have a discussion with a long time western fan. He buys the comics, the cap guns and cap rifles, and anything western related. He told me that every saturday he sits in front of his TV watching western repeats, shooting off his cap guns whenever the hero does. Made me laugh.