• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

Those are cool covers, Robotman.

I also really like the Cowpuncher, too.

CowPuncher5.jpg

GREAT cover! Wow.

Thanks, definitely not your typical western cover.

There's some pretty fascinating now-forgotten frontier horror fiction that went on in the era... basically, there's 2 or 3 legends based on real events that lead to fictional headless horsemen and phantom riders that get combined and streamlined into the ghost rider characters of the golden age and beyond.

new-york-dime-library-008_zpspnviba8n.jpg

The above is partially inspired by the terrible exploits of Felipe Espinosa, who tortured and killed 32 people in Colorado in 1863, and was ultimately killed and beheaded (to confirm the kill, rumor has it he refused the bounty) by legendary tracker Tom Tobin. Espinosa's legend had grown to include a night-riding spectral horseman at just the time this story was being written.

Thinking back on the Espinosa saga many years later, which clearly troubled him his entire life, Tobin said: "It occurs to me that the question is not whether a choice exists between bad and good, but whether certain men are even aware of the difference. At what point, I wonder, does it stop being revenge?"

That's pretty much how Ghost Rider has been defined up through modern times.

Edited by markseifert

GREAT cover! Wow.

Thanks, definitely not your typical western cover.

There's some pretty fascinating now-forgotten frontier horror fiction that went on in the era... basically, there's 2 or 3 legends based on real events that lead to fictional headless horsemen and phantom riders that get combined and streamlined into the ghost rider characters of the golden age and beyond.

new-york-dime-library-008_zpspnviba8n.jpg

The above is partially inspired by the terrible exploits of Felipe Espinosa, who tortured and killed 32 people in Colorado in 1863, and was ultimately killed and beheaded (to confirm the kill, rumor has it he refused the bounty) by legendary tracker Tom Tobin. Espinosa's legend had grown to include a night-riding spectral horseman at just the time this story was being written.

Thinking back on the Espinosa saga many years later, which clearly troubled him his entire life, Tobin said: "It occurs to me that the question is not whether a choice exists between bad and good, but whether certain men are even aware of the difference. At what point, I wonder, does it stop being revenge?"

That's pretty much how Ghost Rider has been defined up through modern times.

That's very interesting, thanks for posting.

I have a few early Yellowstone related magazines from the 1870's but haven't spent any time looking into the dime novels from that time period. I look forward to doing some research on them now.

Yeah, he did some nice work for Hillman, including a nice run of covers for Airboy. Here's one for example, though not a Western obviously -

Airboy-April1949s_zpsjplae7ma.jpg

That's a good one. I first became aware of his Airboy covers when you posted a V5#4 years ago (V5#7 may be my favorite).

GCD shows only issues #4-6 as Zolne Western Fighters covers. I only have 10 issues and the Zolne's flew under my radar.

I'll have to fix that though as Zolnerowich is one of my favorites.