• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

This has always struck me as a neat cover from this title; so many good covers in that run though that it doesn't make it to the top of the list -

meNFY4l.jpg

You don't see many Star Spangleds from that part of the run. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a copy of that issue before.

This has always struck me as a neat cover from this title; so many good covers in that run though that it doesn't make it to the top of the list -

meNFY4l.jpg

You don't see many Star Spangleds from that part of the run. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a copy of that issue before.

I've never seen that issue either. What a great cover - so much detail in the costumes, weapons, and character designs!

Dang. That Heath is awesome...and the Maneely...of course that's Shores best work...and the Burgos!

Where do you get these pretty books, amigo? :baiting:

Thanks guys.

And Andy, it just so happens that 3 of these were picked up at a Portland convention a couple months ago. I think only my 2nd or 3rd con since I was at the 1993 San Diego Con.

and btw a late hat tip to Boot for the great bound Prize books. Boot knows how I feel about bound books - love em!

and to Scrooge for the Star Spangled 118 - always liked that one. Big Eater! and graduated covers are the bomb

finally got my hands on a piece I've wanted but couldn't find in decent shape

no, not this one - N.C. Wyeth's Battle at Glens Falls (from Last of the Mohicans)

Wyeth_BattleatGlensFalls_zpszsxrkvcm.jpg

no, not this one - Action Comics 8, Fred Guardineer cover - (and unless my name is Jon Berk, this is not my book)

ActionComics08f_Berk_zpsubn6abwk.jpg

but this Star Spangled 102, with the other Fred - Fred Ray - doing the fantastic image on which all the swipes are based.

Or is it the other way around? I get so confused!

StarSpangledComics102fc_zpszsn6wfw6.jpg

Been admiring this thread. Just taking it all in. Amazing books, folks! This here's a good'n.

dale.jpg

A great looking copy.

Probably one of those books I'll never be able to buy now since every other copy will look ugly in comparison.