• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major transaction let-down. Need advice!
3 3

1,251 posts in this topic

Wake me when it's October. zzz

Agreed.

That picture is just so inappropriate for this forum.

doh!

Girls with big beers are inappropriate?

The caption. I hit the Notify button.

Agreed.

doh!

I think he was commenting upon the 'pooper' bit. Beer and bitties are always acceptable.

Agreed.

doh!

(thumbs u

Friend/long time business contact...doesnt really matter.

Seller was wrong. Appears that the buyer is also culpable.

Craptastic thing to do to someone for a *spoon* funny book.

Well, we don't know who the buyer/seller are (despite the speculation) so who knows what really happened in this particular case. (shrug)

However, there's no doubt that the average joe collector isn't on the same playing field in this hobby as full-time collector/dealers who work together to score the best collections, get the best deals, and generally look out for each other while at the same time making durn sure the fat cats with the deep wallets are kept happy.

fat-cat.jpg

I'm pretty interested in seeing boardies reactions to who the seller is.

As Dr Banner has mentioned the Buddy/Friend/Long term business mentality might stifle some of that zeal for outright "public" condemnation.

I know all of the people involved and although I'd rather not comment until all the facts are in I feel that I do have to say that if it went down the way the OP explained it that is not very cool in my books.

I like to think that most of us hold to a higher standard of ethics than eBay. It's what I expect from people and I think they expect it from me.

I myself was in a situation just last week where I sold a rare item to a board member only to receive an offer of $500 more for it immediately after the sale....heck, I was bombarded with interest and think I could have made $1000 more and although the temptation was there (temptation is always there) to make more money it really wasn't an option as my conscience wouldn't let me do it.

Anyhow, I hope in some way this works for the greater good.

(thumbs u

Agreed.

doh!

A fellow Lostie and all?

Well, how about that other one? Still inappropriate?

Agreed.

doh!

A fellow Lostie and all?

Well, how about that other one? Still inappropriate?

Not so much, but somebody already quoted the first one.

doh!

Agreed.

doh!

More the uncouthe remark in the image than the image itself.

Thread is getting too long to fully read but I have not seen this point brought up.

What would happen if it was the other way around. A buyer says he will buy a book and then half way through the deal they pull out for whatever reason. I believe the seller could report it to the probation thread and the buyer would be put on the list. Shouldn't the same method be used in this case?

Thread is getting too long to fully read but I have not seen this point brought up.

What would happen if it was the other way around. A buyer says he will buy a book and then half way through the deal they pull out for whatever reason. I believe the seller could report it to the probation thread and the buyer would be put on the list. Shouldn't the same method be used in this case?

I would say so, yes.

OK well i really have to go to work right now so ill say some further stuff that happened real quick.

The new buyer sent me a PM saying he bought the book on the 18th and he was unaware of what was going on and he's sorry, Now i want to believe him and im trying but, the book appeared in his sig line up yesterday and thats 1 day after i was told theres something wrong with the book hmmmmm. Then i am told he paid $1500 for the book when i was paying $1600. So it appears either everyone thinks im very stupid or the seller just doesnt like money.I just checked all my PM's with the seller and talked with him originally on the i think 7th or 8th, and had the first payment on the 11th and within less than a week from that had the remainder of the balance.

There is absolutly no way I did anything wrong and I will be 10000% shocked if the seller can accuse me of anything exept being extremly exited about anything that has happened between us.

I will be home at 5 today i wish i could see whats gonna happen now but i cant, I will say who he is when i get back thanks

I'm pretty sure that every boardie reading this thread believes you did everything 100% right. Thank you for starting this thread.

I find it very disturbing that the buyer is aware of this thread but has been quiet until now. I don't want to throw anyone under the moped until we've heard both sides but it suggests that the buyer is giving the seller time to concoct a story.

I would say so, yes.

The problem with this scenario is that the buyer has the ability to correct the situation and thus be removed from the probation list. By actually moving forward and buying said book.

In this situation the seller would have to make the situation right. How would he or she go about doing that? Offer the buyer a monetary recompense? Buy the book back from the actual person that bought the book from under Matt?

Pretty easy to resolve the first - not so for the second.

I would say so, yes.

The problem with this scenario is that the buyer has the ability to correct the situation and thus be removed from the probation list. By actually moving forward and buying said book.

In this situation the seller would have to make the situation right. How would he or she go about doing that? Offer the buyer a monetary recompense? Buy the book back from the actual person that bought the book from under Matt?

I think it would be the first most likely but the second if it is possible would work also. It is the same if you get added to the list for not following through on a buy. If you want to get off the list the seller may not have the books, then what? I believe I have seen that offering some compensation has worked in the past.

To be fair, people mostly only speak up when there is a problem...so you only see the squeaky wheel. You take the well oiled, quiet wheels for granted even though they are there all the time.

Well oiled, quiet wheels... :cloud9:

I would say so, yes.

I think it would be the first most likely but the second if it is possible would work also. It is the same if you get added to the list for not following through on a buy. If you want to get off the list the seller may not have the books, then what? I believe I have seen that offering some compensation has worked in the past.

Basically it's up to the seller that elected the buyer to the list. The seller will let the community know once the buyer has fulfilled their obligation (whatever that might be in the seller's eyes) and the buyer comes off the list.

I just don't think it's as clear cut when the seller causes issue - perhaps it should be. I think that's one reason these cases are raised here in General so that others can decide on their own about doing business with that party.

I would say so, yes.

Basically it's up to the seller that elected the buyer to the list. The seller will let the community know once the buyer has fulfilled their obligation (whatever that might be in the seller's eyes) and the buyer comes off the list.

I just don't think it's as clear cut when the seller causes issue - perhaps it should be. I think that's one reason these cases are raised here in General so that others can decide on their own about doing business with that party.

Right, I am not saying to add this seller to the list. Matt would have to request that. From what he has said so far all Matt wants is an explanation.

I was just answering the question posed by 1coolengineer.

I myself was in a situation just last week where I sold a rare item to a board member only to receive an offer of $500 more for it immediately after the sale....heck, I was bombarded with interest and think I could have made $1000 more and although the temptation was there (temptation is always there) to make more money it really wasn't an option as my conscience wouldn't let me do it.

Anyhow, I hope in some way this works for the greater good.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

I would say so, yes.

Right, I am not saying to add this seller to the list. Matt would have to request that. From what he has said so far all Matt wants is an explanation.

I was just answering the question posed by 1coolengineer.

(thumbs u

I'm a bit surprised the seller hasn't told his or her side of the story yet.

I would say so, yes.

We are assuming a lot without hearing from all parties. If it is indeed the buyer who had two copies in his signature, he posted on a GA thread that he actually had 3 copies, perhaps he'd be honorable and sell one of them to the person who got left out. I know if I did something innocently, that's what I would do...and we DO need to hear from the seller.

Hopefully, there is a reasonable explanation. However, if there is not, then unfortunately I think this is a probation thread offense, the same way it would be if a buyer found a book for less and backed out of time payments. To get off the probation list, he'd have to find another acceptable book for the buyer.