• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major transaction let-down. Need advice!
3 3

1,251 posts in this topic

After seeing a picture of the book, it's entirely possible that Matt is the winner here.

Seriously though the seller has a deposit, let him finish the deal. If the buyer doesn't meet his obligations, guess what? You have $500 plus the book. It's a win/win situation for the seller even in light of the circumstances.

This garbage of being fearful for your life in a live transaction or fear of not getting the second installment is thinly veiled nonsense, and not even good at that.

Jim

Edited by cgcworld

boy, another day, another mess on this board.

it is a damn shame really.

it is well within the confines of human nature

To be fair, people mostly only speak up when there is a problem...so you only see the squeaky wheel. You take the well oiled, quiet wheels for granted even though they are there all the time.

A well oiled machine :hi:

Why don't Bat-man and Yannis man up and do the right thing. Bat-man sends the book to Yannis. Yannis refunds him. Sells the book the Matt. That would be the best thing to do for everyone involved.

Makes perfect sense to me!

Why don't Bat-man and Yannis man up and do the right thing. Bat-man sends the book to Yannis. Yannis refunds him. Sells the book the Matt. That would be the best thing to do for everyone involved.

Makes perfect sense to me!

now if someone would just come around here to explain themselves, all will be right with the world

(thumbs u

(thumbs u
(thumbs u

[quote name=rockman2008A deal is a deal 2c [/quote]This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis).

According to Dan, they were actually going to drive over there, pick the book up in person and finalize the deal on Saturday.

DRX

Which would you prefer? Payment by electronic means that's guaranteed all at once.

Or would you rather wait for some stranger who may or may not show up with his friend at your door step after a four-hour drive? And if they do show up, wouldn't you be concerned about the possibility of being beaten up and robbed? The logistics for setting this up is a pain compared to the ease of a quick electronic payment. No?

This is the biggest load of BS ever. Matt got screwed plain and simple. If he was that concerned he could have insisted on a paypal payment first and met for then met for the pick-up.

I feel bad that Yannis is dealing with his personal situation but he didn't even give Matt the courtesy/opportunity to pay up first.

:mad: this whole thing just reeks of bad business. Probation list or not, you can scratch one buyer off my list of people who I'll deal with.

Yes. From what we've heard so far, I see little to support the seller. Even if the sale was for less money (and I'm skeptical about that), a deal is a deal.

What was done (from what we know to date) was unethical. Period.

My sympathies for the seller's personal situation, but that doesn't give anybody a suspension from ethics, and I don't see how that really factors in at all.

(thumbs u
(thumbs u
(thumbs u

What I don't understand is that both Yannis and Bat-man have had the time to PM board members but have not had the common courtesy to post in the thread with their side of the story.

While I would not hold Bat-man to blame for any of this, his silence on this matter speaks volumes.

I agree 100%

I understand the silence completely. First, there's enough gray here where nobody will really ever know the whole story (except those involved and those PM'd) -- and at the end of the day, this will blow over and everyone will forget. Second, if there's no plausible explanation, and it will end up just being picked apart, what's the point of coming on here and offering an explanation? How does it help them? It doesn't.

At the end of the day, the smart move is to stay silent publicly. The reality is, few people will care or fail to do business either party -- so in the end, while there were hundreds of views, if the parties stay silent, eventually, this really has no where to go.

A sound legal viewpoint. You'll be my 'one phone call', if I ever need the option. (thumbs u

[quote name=rockman2008A deal is a deal 2c [/quote]This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis).

According to Dan, they were actually going to drive over there, pick the book up in person and finalize the deal on Saturday.

DRX

Which would you prefer? Payment by electronic means that's guaranteed all at once.

Or would you rather wait for some stranger who may or may not show up with his friend at your door step after a four-hour drive? And if they do show up, wouldn't you be concerned about the possibility of being beaten up and robbed? The logistics for setting this up is a pain compared to the ease of a quick electronic payment. No?

This is the biggest load of BS ever. Matt got screwed plain and simple. If he was that concerned he could have insisted on a paypal payment first and met for then met for the pick-up.

I feel bad that Yannis is dealing with his personal situation but he didn't even give Matt the courtesy/opportunity to pay up first.

:mad: this whole thing just reeks of bad business. Probation list or not, you can scratch one buyer off my list of people who I'll deal with.

I'm not buying right now either way and I know there's the whole 'if Satan had a book someone wanted, yadda, yadda, yadda'. :insane:

Matt entered into the agreement in good faith. I also feel for Yannis' family situation, but to go back on one's word is not a person I care to deal with. I don't care if he's selling the freakin' Mona Lisa for $1.00. (tsk)

Doesn't matter that he sold it to Bat-Man for less OR if he needed the cash immediately (at least IMHO). He contracted with Matt first and foremost - end of story.

I also have just one more person on my "do not buy from list".I do believe that everyone on here is the best of the best in our hobby,don't let one bad situation/seller ruin things here.Another pre Robin Tec will surface,and you did get a refund.Put that refund to work for you and save up for an even better book. 2c Chalk it up to experience! (shrug)

What I don't understand is that both Yannis and Bat-man have had the time to PM board members but have not had the common courtesy to post in the thread with their side of the story.

While I would not hold Bat-man to blame for any of this, his silence on this matter speaks volumes.

I agree 100%

I understand the silence completely. First, there's enough gray here where nobody will really ever know the whole story (except those involved and those PM'd) -- and at the end of the day, this will blow over and everyone will forget. Second, if there's no plausible explanation, and it will end up just being picked apart, what's the point of coming on here and offering an explanation? How does it help them? It doesn't.

At the end of the day, the smart move is to stay silent publicly. The reality is, few people will care or fail to do business either party -- so in the end, while there were hundreds of views, if the parties stay silent, eventually, this really has no where to go.

Guess I disagree with this. I will probably not do business with the seller ever because of what has been written so far (whether that is fair or not). If the seller did all the stuff Matt says, why not come out and say, "You know what, I screwed up. I'm sorry Matt. Not sure what I was thinking guys, but it won't happen again".

I've seen this board forgive worse.

For the record, Matt was willing to pay WAY before the deadline...only reason he didn't send paypal was because they agreed that in person would be nice.

I know he had a death in the family and I am sorry to hear that. But frankly, it didn't stop him from selling the book anyway. It's not like he had a death, refunded Matt, and just hung onto the book.,...thru all of it, he was willing to make another deal

By the way, not sure if Matt mentioned it, but he just recently had a major death in his life as well.

Matt's a stand up guy and got hosed on this deal. Simple as that.

After seeing a picture of the book, it's entirely possible that Matt is the winner here.

Seriously though the seller has a deposit, let him finish the deal. If the buyer doesn't meet his obligations, guess what? You have $500 plus the book. It's a win/win situation for the seller even in light of the circumstances.

This garbage of being fearful for your life in a live transaction or fear of not getting the second installment is thinly veiled nonsense, and not even good at that.

Jim

What he said.