• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major transaction let-down. Need advice!
3 3

1,251 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

It would not kill you to read the thread like many of us have endured.

60+ pages of eye strain? When all it would take is to ask you to let me know where someone said it was color touched and then I could hone in on that part of the image and go to work trying to spot it?

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

60+ pages of eye strain? When all it would take is to ask you to let me know where someone said it was color touched and then I could hone in on that part of the image and go to work trying to spot it?

I make a reference to the reported tape on the book from darth -- you make some wild assumption about color touch based on a fuzzy picture with a book in a bag.

Either way, I don't really care that much about it. Find the answer yourself.

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

I did. When considering the position of the bat ears and the Bob Kane sig at the bottom to other examples, it's normal. This is top centered but the appropriate amount of Kane shows at the bottom considering the amount of ears at the top. Plus, trimming a book with a spine roll? And a weak top left corner? A thick, Golden age book? Would've probably been a disaster to even try. it would have to have been so deep trimmed, a la All_Things_Trimmed, to get the blade to have a decent bite into the edge, that the ears would have been missing altogether. Top right edge pieces too would have probably crumbled right off without a deep trim.

Cupcake + that top edge is what makes me think trim.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

I make a reference to the reported tape on the book from darth -- you make some wild assumption about color touch based on a fuzzy picture with a book in a bag.

Either way, I don't really care that much about it. Find the answer yourself.

Wild assumption? Someone mentioned color touch. Someone else mentioned trim. Someone else mentioned tape, or a combination of these things. I was trying to help by examining the image to look for these things mentioned by other than me. I usually do this in the restoration and spare a grade sections. I don't know the book. This is the first time I've seen an image of it on this forum. I started reading at page 60. I asked you to help me by telling me where color touch was spotted, since that was alluded to by someone other than me. So I could focus on the book instead of 60 pages of walls of text. I didn't dream that up. I'm trying to help and you're telling me that "I'm done with you". What the? (shrug) 

I have no stake in the book. I was trying to help Buzz. I only realized it's about a 2010 sale or no sale after I started looking at it.

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Wild assumption? Someone mentioned color touch. Someone else mentioned trim. Someone else mentioned tape, or a combination of these things. I was trying to help by examining the image to look for these things mentioned by other than me. I usually do this in the restoration and spare a grade sections. I don't know the book. This is the first time I've seen an image of it on this forum. I started reading at page 60. I asked you to help me by telling me where color touch was spotted, since that was alluded to by someone other than me. So I could focus on the book instead of 60 pages of walls of text. I didn't dream that up. I'm trying to help and you're telling me that "I'm done with you". What the? (shrug) 

I have no stake in the book. I was trying to help Buzz. I only realized it's about a 2010 sale or no sale after I started looking at it.

Look......there are things in this thread and factors about this book that you obviously don't understand.  And the only way you're going to understand them is if you go back and read the thread from the beginning.  Not by "starting at page 60".  You need to understand all the details about this book first, and they aren't things that can be simply explained in a quick post.  So, go back.....read the thread.....and then offer us your insight as it would be most welcome.  

7 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Look......there are things in this thread and factors about this book that you obviously don't understand.  And the only way you're going to understand them is if you go back and read the thread from the beginning.  Not by "starting at page 60".  You need to understand all the details about this book first, and they aren't things that can be simply explained in a quick post.  So, go back.....read the thread.....and then offer us your insight as it would be most welcome.  

I understand that but typically a book speaks for itself. Either it's not restored or it is. "Where did you get this?" and "Who sold it to you" shouldn't determine if the book is restored or not. I'd rather study the book, concentrate my efforts there than on the back story. The seller, the back story, the origins are of secondary importance to the actual forensics; in this case, the image. Someone mentioned the top edge being trimmed based on the position of the art at the top. I cleaned up the image as best as I could and the top edge does not look trimmed. I see no tells for trim. Then I viewed about a half dozen Detective 37s and compared the relative positions of artwork, top vs. bottom and based on that, the size looks good, the book is top centered but counterbalanced by more of the art at the bottom showing than average. No cause for concern there unless tells for trim are present on the edges themselves not related to size alone and there aren't any, IMO.Then someone said, :"probably color touched" at some point, so I started looking for tells for that, and there are tells present for what could be color touch on dark areas close to the spine. I lean towards that but because the image is poor I can't be 100% sure so am reluctant to say, "loos like color touch".

Someone said, "Darth" (a board member's name that I never saw before) said something about the book that might be helpful to me in determining color touch. Not trim, because there's enough there, the picture adequate enough, to convince me that it hasn't been trimmed. Also, the logistics of the book, the wrap, the thickness, the pieces, the spine corner, etc.; nobody is doing a thin trim on this.

Maybe I approach things differently, but I just go by the evidence. The image. And if it's still helpful to Buzz, for no other reason which is why I worked with the image anyway, IMO, it's not trimmed, but the potential for color touch is there, I'd go 60/40 yes, if not staining and/or engrained dirt in the creases which I can't rule out based on that fuzzy image.. And that's my opinion based solely on the image, not the back story. Which in my opinion is what my opinion should be based on.

8 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Also, I initially thought this was a book that Buzz was going to buy now. Not 9 years ago. So I figured time was of the essence when I started examining it and if someone could give me the shortcut to who said what about it with regards to resto, that would be better than trying to find it in the 60 pages and spend the time doing that. .

4 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Thank you  (thumbsu 

All that aside (as I never saw 95% of the forum member handles in that thread, I've been here for a year and a half), if it's still useful to anyone 9 years later, my opinion, based on the image and my ability to clarify it:

possibility of trim:  0%    possibility of color touch: 60 to 70%

Nothing worse than having someone who refuses to do ANY of the legwork of reading the thread come along to monday morning quarterback a 9 year old thread. And then expect us to just magically know all the answers to the subtleties of said thread while anxiously awaiting their exalted verdict on a question most of us were not asking in the first place. 

Next up-- we solve the mystery of why the Titanic sunk: Was it trimmed by an iceberg? Film at eleven.

So weird when someone cannot understand that a thread has devolved into humor, not substance. :kidaround:

49 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Nothing worse than having someone who refuses to do ANY of the legwork of reading the thread come along to monday morning quarterback a 9 year old thread. And then expect us to just magically know all the answers to the subtleties of said thread while anxiously awaiting their exalted verdict on a question most of us were not asking in the first place. 

Next up-- we solve the mystery of why the Titanic sunk: Was it trimmed by an iceberg? Film at eleven.

So weird when someone cannot understand that a thread has devolved into humor, not substance. :kidaround:

I didn't know it was satire. I thought Buzz needed an opinion on resto for a purchase. I tried to help but as they say, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". I thought it was of equal importance as when someone asks in the resto section, "Is this book trimmed?". Very simple. Had nothing to do with refusal to read 60 pages. For me, it had to do with helping Buzz, an image, and my eyes. . I didn't know the back story was the whole point and that the question of resto on the book was meaningless. Still seems strange to me, but OK. :tink:.

When people repeatedly tell you that something requires a little more effort in terms of getting the entire story, I try not to protest but at least check out the first page of a thread that originated in 2010. When you stated "I'm not going to read that wall of text of 60 pages" --- yeah-- I'm done with you is exactly my first thought. I certainly don't take that to mean-- "give me your best analysis of a blurry picture."

ob·tuse
/əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/
adjective
adjective: obtuse
  1. 1.
    annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
    "he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"
Edited by 01TheDude

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
10 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

I understand that but typically a book speaks for itself. Either it's not restored or it is. "Where did you get this?" and "Who sold it to you" shouldn't determine if the book is restored or not. I'd rather study the book, concentrate my efforts there than on the back story. The seller, the back story, the origins are of secondary importance to the actual forensics; in this case, the image. Someone mentioned the top edge being trimmed based on the position of the art at the top. I cleaned up the image as best as I could and the top edge does not look trimmed. I see no tells for trim. Then I viewed about a half dozen Detective 37s and compared the relative positions of artwork, top vs. bottom and based on that, the size looks good, the book is top centered but counterbalanced by more of the art at the bottom showing than average. No cause for concern there unless tells for trim are present on the edges themselves not related to size alone and there aren't any, IMO.Then someone said, :"probably color touched" at some point, so I started looking for tells for that, and there are tells present for what could be color touch on dark areas close to the spine. I lean towards that but because the image is poor I can't be 100% sure so am reluctant to say, "loos like color touch".

Someone said, "Darth" (a board member's name that I never saw before) said something about the book that might be helpful to me in determining color touch. Not trim, because there's enough there, the picture adequate enough, to convince me that it hasn't been trimmed. Also, the logistics of the book, the wrap, the thickness, the pieces, the spine corner, etc.; nobody is doing a thin trim on this.

Maybe I approach things differently, but I just go by the evidence. The image. And if it's still helpful to Buzz, for no other reason which is why I worked with the image anyway, IMO, it's not trimmed, but the potential for color touch is there, I'd go 60/40 yes, if not staining and/or engrained dirt in the creases which I can't rule out based on that fuzzy image.. And that's my opinion based solely on the image, not the back story. Which in my opinion is what my opinion should be based on.

Dang.....that's a lot of words. 

I just thought it would be funny if I could get you to read all 1200+ posts in this thread for no reason. (shrug)

10 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Dang.....that's a lot of words. 

I just thought it would be funny if I could get you to read all 1200+ posts in this thread for no reason. (shrug)

well that plan is now screwed. Who knows-- maybe they started and won't read this one until they get past the middle part where Matt and his girlfriend start playing footsy for 20 posts because he won't answer the phone and ignores any PMs. That section dang near killed me. Scintillating conversation

21 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

well that plan is now screwed. Who knows-- maybe they started and won't read this one until they get past the middle part where Matt and his girlfriend start playing footsy for 20 posts because he won't answer the phone and ignores any PMs. That section dang near killed me. Scintillating conversation

I figured anyone who types that much about why they shouldn't have to read a thread, isn't going to read that thread. 

And I'm not fully convinced that their "playing footsy" posts aren't relevant when it comes to deciding if this book does or does not have restoration on it. lol

Edited by Domo Arigato

Just now, Domo Arigato said:

I figured anyone who types that much about why they shouldn't have to read a thread, isn't going to read that thread. :frown:

I got the impression his entire approach to this thread was to provide some opinion on the condition of a book that was discussed 9 years ago and then forgotten. No one has stepped forward to tell us where the book lives these days. hmmmm..... gives me an idea.... the old Bat signal

@Yannis

10 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

hmmmm..... gives me an idea.... the old Bat signal

Yeah.....I had thought about that too.

Unfortunately, Yannis last logged into the forum on January 22, 2017.  But you never know.   Maybe he'll drop in sometime and see this.

Edited by Domo Arigato

Just now, Domo Arigato said:

Yeah.....I had thought about too.

Unfortunately, Yannis last logged into the forum on January 22, 2017.  But you never know.   Maybe he'll drop in sometime and see this.

:sumo: