• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1 vs Detective 31

106 posts in this topic

detective31cgc.jpg

One of the greatest things I have ever seen! (worship)(worship)(worship)

Incredible, just incredible. And WHITE Pages! :cloud9:

Mr. Bedrock your in a league of your own with a book like this. :cool:

TecBats.jpg

I seperately showed r1970d's pride and joys to five non-comic collectors in my office and asked them which they thought was the better or more interesting art.

They all liked the Batman 1 over the Detective 31. Explanations included that the Batman 1 had a bold colorful graphic sense (I'd liken the reaction to the reason why many folks like the LB Cole "poster style" covers), that the clouds and primitive art (especially in the foreground) of the 31 distracted from the image of Batman, and two people mentioned they liked Robin on the cover.

detective31cgc.jpg

One of the greatest things I have ever seen! (worship)(worship)(worship)

Incredible, just incredible. And WHITE Pages! :cloud9:

Mr. Bedrock your in a league of your own with a book like this. :cool:

My god!

I have never seen that copy before but man...that is a true masterpiece.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

TecBats.jpg

I seperately showed r1970d's pride and joys to five non-comic collectors in my office and asked them which they thought was the better or more interesting art.

They all liked the Batman 1 over the Detective 31. Explanations included that the Batman 1 had a bold colorful graphic sense (I'd liken the reaction to the reason why many folks like the LB Cole "poster style" covers), that the clouds and primitive art (especially in the foreground) of the 31 distracted from the image of Batman, and two people mentioned they liked Robin on the cover.

I would imagine (and I don't know if you got this impression) that many people might tend to gather towards Batman #1's cover due to that 1960's Batman image many people still have.

Outside the comic community, Robin doesn't appear to be nearly as hated and in some circles, I'm sure people love him. In terms of art-work, I'd go with Tec #31 all day long for so many reasons but Batman #1's cover is a but underrated in my opinion.

Many people don't even have a concept of what the original "gothic-Batman" was so there is no need to show favoritism to the pre-Robin Tecs that we adore, outside of our hobby.

I'm sure certain people would like both, but which aspect are we now comparing?

Just cover-art?

As you can see Tec 31's cover is far superior

There is the argument that there is no better cover...

True, but you would agree it isn't a very important book. Cool as hell? Yeah, I love it. But important? Nah

Yes important.. In this issue, you have the 1st appearance of the Monk, 1st Batgyro (batplane), and first love interest of Bruce Wayne in Julie Madison.. So there you have it.. This book has more 1st appearances than Bat #1 :slapfight:

TecBats.jpg

Interesting experiment with an unsurprising outcome. Even though I like Tec 31 better, the Bats 1 cover image is understandable in an instant.

junk junk junk junk junk lol

Flip the record over Gator. It is getting nearly as annoying as your number game last year.

but it sounds so good... you have to say it junk...junk, junk, junk, junk....junk junk (thumbs u

oh no doubt it is top 10 or probably top 5 for more, but I agree, an argument can be made there are many better GA covers... and this coming from a tec 31 homer!

True, but you would agree it isn't a very important book. Cool as hell? Yeah, I love it. But important? Nah

Hey, I wasn't trying to make the comparison. Batman #1 is a more important book than Tec #31 but Tec #31 is the Cognac of Batman comics. Big, hard, short dose of goodness. Batman #1 is the fine wine which you can sip for hours.

In this day and age of CGC comics though origins, stories, interior artwork and such seem to be losing importance.

Tec #33 is a super cool book due to it being the first origin telling of Batman and a decade or two ago I think it would have been considered a much more important book than Tec #31 (I seem to remember a much larger importance on origin issues when I was younger) but that's changed.

Unless a book has interiors that are "over the top" (like Batman #1 does) it seems that it's going to lag in importance to be displaced by covers.

oh, tec 33 is still way more important than tec 31, just doesn't get the love in our "cover gallery" of collecting, that it once did (and with reprints and all to boot)

Hey, I wasn't trying to make the comparison. Batman #1 is a more important book than Tec #31 but Tec #31 is the Cognac of Batman comics. Big, hard, short dose of goodness. Batman #1 is the fine wine which you can sip for hours.

In this day and age of CGC comics though origins, stories, interior artwork and such seem to be losing importance.

Tec #33 is a super cool book due to it being the first origin telling of Batman and a decade or two ago I think it would have been considered a much more important book than Tec #31 (I seem to remember a much larger importance on origin issues when I was younger) but that's changed.

Unless a book has interiors that are "over the top" (like Batman #1 does) it seems that it's going to lag in importance to be displaced by covers.

Let's not equate monetary value with importance in comic history. Tec 33 is still a much more important book than 31 will ever be. As you've said, correctly, many times before, Whiz 1 is a very important book in comic history. It just has fallen out of favor, and hence the value fell with it.

(thumbs u

Ok Ill say it since I know its on the tips of everyone's tongues.

Tec 31 > Marvel 1

The opposite for me and not even close.

+1

My favorite...

marvel1.jpg

:takeit:

TecBats.jpg

Interesting experiment with an unsurprising outcome. Even though I like Tec 31 better, the Bats 1 cover image is understandable in an instant.

Yellow covers generally get lots of love so that has a lot to do with it. That and the fact that it is simple and more representative of what people know about Batman likely sways people in the direction of Batman #1. Much like Superman #1.

Tec #31 is darker and more moody and so it takes a little longer to take it all in. It creates questions, like "why is Batman looming over the castle" and "why is the girl being carried". Batman also might even be mistaken as the villain on the Tec #31 cover if you didn't know who it was. It's generally a cover for someone more "in the know" much like say, Picasso's impressionistic work might be mistaken as childish to someone who wouldn't know but seen as genius by those that do.

Tec 31 > Marvel 1

+1

My favorite...

marvel1.jpg

:takeit: ad infintum

Tec 31 > Marvel 1

+1

My favorite...

marvel1.jpg

I'd :takeit: over a Tec #31.

I even prefer Tec #33 over #31 as a book (not just the cover).

In fact I sold my Tec #31s but still own a Tec #33.

Tec 31 > Marvel 1

+1

My favorite...

marvel1.jpg

I love Richards 6.0 Marvel # 1...Great colors!

Tec 31 > Marvel 1

+1

My favorite...

marvel1.jpg

I love it too

And like my learned colleague, George, posted above, I'd take a 33 over a 31 in a hot minute.

But, I always seem to have an affection for depreciating assets :(

Tec 31 > Marvel 1

+1

My favorite...

marvel1.jpg

I love it too

And like my learned colleague, George, posted above, I'd take a 33 over a 31 in a hot minute.

But, I always seem to have an affection for depreciating assets :(

Except for Bat 1 :baiting: