• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1 vs Detective 31

106 posts in this topic

In terms of just pure comic lust, which would your prefer ?

I guess in monetary terms, Tec 31 would be a safer bet

actually, just the opposite... in monetary terms, the batman 1 is a safer bet...

some examples:

3 years ago, a 5.0 tec 31 could be had for 13K, today about 25k

3 years ago, a 5.0 bat 1 could be had for about $25k, today about 50K...

bat 1 has outperformed tec 31 in almost every grade (thumbs u

Batman #1 for me. The 'Tec 31 has a nice cover, but Batman 1 is a major key and has the first appearance of two significant villians.

actually, just the opposite... in monetary terms, the batman 1 is a safer bet...

some examples:

Math may not be my strongpoint, but that's roughly a 100% appreciation for each issue.

So the question becomes: Do you think that the 31 may be a safer purchase because it has room for more percentage growth within the means of more buyers than the Bat 1? In other words, it is harder for a 5.0 book to appreciate in price from $25K to $50K or from $50K to $100K given the inclinations and means of the potential buyers of Bat books?

some examples:

Math may not be my strongpoint, but that's roughly a 100% appreciation for each issue.

So the question becomes: Do you think that the 31 may be a safer purchase because it has room for more percentage growth within the means of more buyers than the Bat 1? In other words, it is harder for a 5.0 book to appreciate in price from $25K to $50K or from $50K to $100K given the inclinations and means of the potential buyers of Bat books?

actually, you are correct... I should have extrapolated over other grades, but my feeling is bat 1 will always have more demand relative to supply, and prices will increase at or above rates of tec 31 (thumbs u

Tec 31 for the cover. Bat 1 is a better book "cover to cover" with 1st Joker, Cat, and Origin retold. That yellow cover is cool (even if Robin is on it) :grin: Throwing monetary value out the window, I would not trade a Tec 31 for a Bat 1, but I'd rather read a Bat 1 over a Tec 31. Give me a Tec 31 to hang on my wall though (thumbs u

Dollar for dollar I'd rather have a Tec 31. If unrestored I'd be tempted on the Batman 1 but at the restored level Tec 31 crushed Batamn 1 due to scarcity and huge numbers of "pre Robin Tec" collectors.

I think the Tec 29 v 31 v 33 v 35 is a good question. Same with Action 2 v 7 v 13

This is a tough one in a few ways, the most obvious being this to be a case of "greatest cover of all time" vs. "greatest book of all time". When I say greatest book, I'm just being biased as I love the combo of Batman's first issue with the 1st appearences of Joker and Catwoman. Of course Action #1 is "greater" but I think you know what I mean.

Look at the final two books on the bottom right-hand corner...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?searchType=feature_sales&display=gallery&set=804,809&quick_sort=price_desc

We saw a 2.5 Tec #31 sell for more than a 3.5 Cap #1!

Yes the Cap had dried glue on a detached CF with some tape on the interior cover, and the Tec had better PQ, but that is still very impressive given how the guide reflects the value of both books.

Tec #31 also has room to grow in my opinion. Since #27 has fallen out of range for most, issues like #31 will become their #27's and because of that, I feel there to be a chance to see additional growth.

But Batman #1 is still overlooked for being the Joker's first appearence. I think many people view it as being the "1st issue" to the point in which the details are underappreciated. Could you imagine how valuable it would be with a classic Joker cover?

I love both books and in some ways, they can be considered the two greatest Batman books for various reasons; but I'd go with Batman #1.

due to scarcity and huge numbers of "pre Robin Tec" collectors.

Do you really see a huge number of pre-Robin Tec collectors? Seems like a dozen or so very passionate collectors to me.

due to scarcity and huge numbers of "pre Robin Tec" collectors.

Do you really see a huge number of pre-Robin Tec collectors? Seems like a dozen or so very passionate collectors to me.

There would be tons of them but its not like the best issues are cheap? Entry level for a low grade unrestored Tec #29, #31 or #35 is basically $10k+