• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to buy a big book like Batman 1?

137 posts in this topic

there are quite a few bat 1's out there right now...none that are "great" deals at the moment, but with a couple in the heritage auction, I suspect I would start there...

Or just tell Roy and Brian, those guys get around pretty good. :)

Hey Roy and Brian, I'm thinking about buying a midgrade PLOD Batman 1.

Sold my 6.0 PLOD last year.

:cloud9:

there are quite a few bat 1's out there right now...none that are "great" deals at the moment, but with a couple in the heritage auction, I suspect I would start there...

Can't wait to see what the 9.0 will go for.

:popcorn:

between 300-350 would be my guess

I hope you're wrong.

:baiting:

I hope you're wrong.

you think higher?

I hope you're wrong.

you think higher?

I don't know what to think in this current economy. Fundamentals and previous experience seems to be irrelevant when navigating.

If you have #1, #2 and #3 books in top grades fetching (or perceived as being) $1MIL books then $300 sounds really cheap for a book that is perceived as being a #4 book even if it's not the lone copy.

Heck, a 5th highest graded Tec #27 CGC 6.0 just fetched $500K recently, right? There were 6 books that were better than it but it didn't stop that book from shattering the old $300-$350K barrier that stood for several years.

With people wondering where to hide their money as Europe deals with it's current problem along with the new records that highest graded books have been fetching I can see a highest grade Batman #1 fetching much more than $300K.

Heck, that's about what an FF #1 and AF #15 are worth in top grades right now.

I hope you're wrong.

you think higher?

I don't know what to think in this current economy. Fundamentals and previous experience seems to be irrelevant when navigating.

If you have #1, #2 and #3 books in top grades fetching (or perceived as being) $1MIL books then $300 sounds really cheap for a book that is perceived as being a #4 book even if it's not the lone copy.

Heck, a 5th highest graded Tec #27 CGC 6.0 just fetched $500K recently, right? There were 6 books that were better than it but it didn't stop that book from shattering the old $300-$350K barrier that stood for several years.

With people wondering where to hide their money as Europe deals with it's current problem along with the new records that highest graded books have been fetching I can see a highest grade Batman #1 fetching much more than $300K.

Heck, that's about what an FF #1 and AF #15 are worth in top grades right now.

but why would you "hope" i was wrong (shrug)

350k is a very strong price for 1 of 4 top graded batman 1 (shrug)

Because the book is already sitting at $300K and if you're wrong then it will go for more than $350K. And because I have one already. It's just a selfish wish.

:makepoint:

Because the book is already sitting at $300K and if you're wrong then it will go for more than $350K. And because I have one already. It's just a selfish wish.

interesting... I don't see any correlation between your copy and this one (naturally, if you had one of the other 3 cgc 9.0's, then I would understand)...but most any other copy of batman 1 is an orange to this apple...

in any event, I think 300-350 is a great price, but if it goes higher, cool (thumbs u

Some people are looking at this as importance to Batman when it should be looked as the holy grail of Joker books,I think people really underestimate how popular the Joker really is,especially with the younger 20`s to 30`s generation crowd, I know lots of fans who actually think the Joker is cooler than Batman. so yeah this book will be considered undervalued at $300,000 in a few years.

interesting... I don't see any correlation between your copy and this one (naturally, if you had one of the other 3 cgc 9.0's, then I would understand)...but most any other copy of batman 1 is an orange to this apple...

in any event, I think 300-350 is a great price, but if it goes higher, cool (thumbs u

It's interesting that you've mentioned this several times now.

You didn't find a correlation between the $1MIL Action #1 sale and your copy either.

How could you not? Are you saying that higher grade copies do not increase the values of the lower grade copies?

(shrug)

Why did AF #15 jump in all grades after somebody paid $220K for a CGC 9.4?

Why did Action #1 prices rise across the board after the $1MIL sale?

I thought it was a given that this happened with every issue.

If there is a new record high price set for higher grade copies then all copies below it are affected upwards.

It's interesting that you've mentioned this several times now.

You didn't find a correlation between the $1MIL Action #1 sale and your copy either.

How could you not? Are you saying that higher grade copies do not increase the values of the lower grade copies?

(shrug)

Why did AF #15 jump in all grades after somebody paid $220K for a CGC 9.4?

Why did Action #1 prices rise across the board after the $1MIL sale?

I thought it was a given that this happened with every issue.

If there is a new record high price set for higher grade copies then all copies below it are affected upwards.

not an opinion I share...there can be no denying the "rising" tide theory, as there is evidence...but the tide draws back in every instance (unless your "boat" is already out to sea... ie comparable copy)...

but, as one has seen with AF15's, the price has corrected, on average, about 30% down from that "artificial" high created possibly by a record sale, or a myriad of other factors...

the 1mil and subsequent 1.5 mil sale didn't affect the asking price on my action 1 at all...didn't affect my cost, didn't affect demand...

the 1 mil sale of the tec 27 didn't affect the asking price on any restored copy in the market that was and still is available now...

now, do these sales long term affect comparable copies, sure!

but, every restored batman 1 in the market has remained priced at what it was before, and not a one of them has sold, even given the 9.0 already at 300K or the previous 9.0 sale at 280K... what makes anyone think they will sell at a higher price?

now, comparable unrestored copies, sure, they are affected, and to a lessor degree, all unrestored copies have been affected (as evidenced by 3.0 action 1 sale, and 6.0 tec 27 sale)... but not uncompareable restored copies... empirical evidence supports my position (thumbs u

now, comparable unrestored copies, sure, they are affected, and to a lessor degree, all unrestored copies have been affected (as evidenced by 3.0 action 1 sale, and 6.0 tec 27 sale)... but not uncompareable restored copies... empirical evidence supports my position (thumbs u

Interesting.

AF #15 sales may have pulled back by as much as 30% (at most, and likely a greater percentage of pullback for the more expensive copies than for the more affordable ones) but that was after they had doubled or already tripled after that $200K sale so a 6.0 copy that sold for $8K 3 years ago is now still a $18-20K book even though it may have been a $25K book a year ago.

As far as restored vs unrestored you make it sound like there is no correlation between the two when an unrestored copy always fetches either

1) a percentage of the unrestored price

2) a price that is related to what the book was when it was unrestored

In both cases the price of the restored book is affected upwards.

As far as your Action #1 goes I would guess that the timing of when the sales occurred (both the record price and your book relative to each other) would have some effect on how quickly prices are affected of all undercopies.

I have trouble believing that a string of record sales of Action #1 in all unrestored grades would not affect restored copies at some point. Just not as fast as something more liquid and easier to attain like an AF #15 but I believe that they will all be effected.

It may just be a slower movement because of how few copies of Action #1 change hands, how expensive they are even for an entry level book and how shallow the buying pool is for a price that starts at $100K for an entry level book (compared to $1K for an AF #15).

Some people are looking at this as importance to Batman when it should be looked as the holy grail of Joker books,I think people really underestimate how popular the Joker really is,especially with the younger 20`s to 30`s generation crowd, I know lots of fans who actually think the Joker is cooler than Batman. so yeah this book will be considered undervalued at $300,000 in a few years.

If joker was on the cover you could add at least 50% to the value of all Batman 1s

Interesting.

AF #15 sales may have pulled back by as much as 30% (at most, and likely a greater percentage of pullback for the more expensive copies than for the more affordable ones) but that was after they had doubled or already tripled after that $200K sale so a 6.0 copy that sold for $8K 3 years ago is now still a $18-20K book even though it may have been a $25K book a year ago.

As far as restored vs unrestored you make it sound like there is no correlation between the two when an unrestored copy always fetches either

1) a percentage of the unrestored price

2) a price that is related to what the book was when it was unrestored

In both cases the price of the restored book is affected upwards.

As far as your Action #1 goes I would guess that the timing of when the sales occurred (both the record price and your book relative to each other) would have some effect on how quickly prices are affected of all undercopies.

I have trouble believing that a string of record sales of Action #1 in all unrestored grades would not affect restored copies at some point. Just not as fast as something more liquid and easier to attain like an AF #15 but I believe that they will all be effected.

It may just be a slower movement because of how few copies of Action #1 change hands, how expensive they are even for an entry level book and how shallow the buying pool is for a price that starts at $100K for an entry level book (compared to $1K for an AF #15).

in theory, I would agree...restored have always been a % of unrestored (I am obviously not trying to make it sound like there is no correlation, EVERYONE knows there is a correlation doh! )... but in practical application, it doesn't (or at least hasn't) translated into increasing the restored % ...in fact, I would say that now, the restored % is actually less, given that the unrestored "value" has been increasing so much... so, still a function, but at the moment, a decreasing % function (thumbs u

again, real tough to compare batman 1 to action 1 or even tec 27... supply/demand is more of the price determination ... there are,relatively speaking, a ton of batman 1 copies (restored) available in the market... same with superman 1...prices, have actually fallen a bit on restored supes 1, since the action 1 sales, and my guess is that if folks actually no reserve auctioned their batman 1's (restored copies mind you, I am not talking unrestored), we would see similar results (note, there are always exceptions to every rule)... and, as mentioned, show me a mid grade restored batman 1 that has sold at a "record" price...heck, show me one that has sold "period" at current/previous full asking price...

maybe sellers, like you, price their copies because they don't want to sell, but would "if" they found someone to pay that premium...

I could price my action 1 at 120K, but no one is going to pay me that for it...sub 100K, sure, easy sell (as it was before the mil and 1.5 mil sales)...

maybe sellers, like you, price their copies because they don't want to sell, but would "if" they found someone to pay that premium...

(thumbs u

Not in a hurry to sell.

I could price my action 1 at 120K, but no one is going to pay me that for it...sub 100K, sure, easy sell (as it was before the mil and 1.5 mil sales)...

I think that the $100K entry barrier for any copy of an Action #1 will change. It's just a matter of time.

True enough Bats #1 is an anomaly in that supply is greater than many other books from the same time period.

Again, it's just a matter of time.