• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

okay, first comic scanned with new scanner, how does this look?

adv242.jpg

looks great! How well does it reflect the book? I found that the software with my scanner did too much clean up and brightening of my scans.

beautiful book, btw.

From what I can tell it didn't do much cleanup, the corner crease and top edge tanning are still there. My experience has been that the monitor I do the scanning on doesn't reflect the colors correctly. I have a high end monitor at work, and the books usually look very different there, more like they do in hand.

A friend on the boards told me that my books don't look as good in scans as they do in person, so I have the Epson v600 scanner which I hadn't scanned comics on, so that is what I just tried.

My fear Trev, is that when I scan, the Epson scan software will do just what you said.

From what I can tell it didn't do much cleanup, the corner crease and top edge tanning are still there. My experience has been that the monitor I do the scanning on doesn't reflect the colors correctly. I have a high end monitor at work, and the books usually look very different there, more like they do in hand.

A friend on the boards told me that my books don't look as good in scans as they do in person, so I have the Epson v600 scanner which I hadn't scanned comics on, so that is what I just tried.

My fear Trev, is that when I scan, the Epson scan software will do just what you said.

Yep. I had a problem with my scanner software (books looking much better -- esp. whites) and based on the recommendations here, I tried out vuescan and did a comparison of multiple books using my scanner's software and using vuescan. vuescan consistently produced a truer representation of the book. So I bought that.

When you think about it, it makes sense. Most people are scanning photos or docs where cleanup. color-fixing, etc are highly valued rather than a perfect reproduction.

I'm sure I could have tweaked a ton of settings in either my scanner software or photoshop express and maybe gotten a similar result, but I'm not very good at such things.

Got a couple books back from CGC today that I had dropped off to them at WonderCon in Anaheim last month (sorry for the glare and angle, did the best I could, gah!). Bought these raw a couple SDCC's ago, and I think the grades estimated by the dealer were accurate if not even lower than what these came back at:

Savannah pedigree "Death of Ferro Lad".... :whee:

AdventureComics353-1.jpg

Bowling Green pedigree "1st Karate Kid"! Almost got me one of those 9.6s, Ian.... :cloud9:

AdventureComics346-1.jpg

I dont agree that Adventure 210 isn't silver, I dont really buy into the Showcase 4 is the begining of the silver age thing, I agree with Steve, great, great book in the Superman family of books!

Not really Silver Age.....but I don't care :devil:

adventure210ot5.jpg

Literally ten years ago, back in 2002, this book was on the Metropolis site for ages. I especially remember it for the red grease pencil cross. If you look in Gerber at the Adventure Comics scans you will see quite a few books from this same collection, all with the same red crosses!

Got a couple books back from CGC today that I had dropped off to them at WonderCon in Anaheim last month (sorry for the glare and angle, did the best I could, gah!). Bought these raw a couple SDCC's ago, and I think the grades estimated by the dealer were accurate if not even lower than what these came back at:

Savannah pedigree "Death of Ferro Lad".... :whee:

AdventureComics353-1.jpg

Bowling Green pedigree "1st Karate Kid"! Almost got me one of those 9.6s, Ian.... :cloud9:

AdventureComics346-1.jpg

Congratulations on two absolute class Legion books.

The #346 is especially beautiful!

Congratulations on two absolute class Legion books.

The #346 is especially beautiful!

Thanks! It was definitely one I just could not pass up at SDCC when I saw it. I hesitated with the price at the time. Even haggled to bring the price down since I was buying several books. Now I'm ecstatic. :whee:

AdventureComics291.jpg

First 12-center! I love the colors on this book and its one you don't see very often.

Great book!

After I complete my Legion run, I'm considering pushing my Adventure run back as far as I can. Some really interesting books in this thread.

Not really Silver Age.....but I don't care :devil:

adventure210ot5.jpg

Literally ten years ago, back in 2002, this book was on the Metropolis site for ages. I especially remember it for the red grease pencil cross. If you look in Gerber at the Adventure Comics scans you will see quite a few books from this same collection, all with the same red crosses!

I took out my raw copy and actually it's not so bad. It's late tonight I'll post it tomorrow.