• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

Here is a recent buy, from a more whimsical era of Adventure Comics.

The story is not so fantastical as the cover suggests. The Rip Van Winkle character has not magiacally been asleep for twenty years but rather been in a coma.

AdventureComics208.jpg

Element Lad rarely gets the cover spotlight but here are a few of his more prominent cover appearances:

scans2022a.jpg

There was a dealer I once knew who loved this cover so much he actually painted a copy for himself and displayed it at shows. I don't know if he ever sold it!

AdventureComics323.jpg

Here is a recent buy, from a more whimsical era of Adventure Comics.

The story is not so fantastical as the cover suggests. The Rip Van Winkle character has not magiacally been asleep for twenty years but rather been in a coma.

AdventureComics208.jpg

NIce buy. Love the colors especially the DC yellows!

Is that a Win Mortimer cover? I like his stuff. Nice books Ian, those are rarely seen.

Yes, both the #203 and #205 are the distictive style of J Winslow. He was pencilling some great covers in the early '50s, especially, in my opinion, the Batman titles.

AdventureComics213.jpg [/i

Here's a mid-1950s Adventure. It holds a special meaning for me. I bought it at the Shrine show here in Los Angeles, Calif. from Alan and Gary's Comics. Unfortutunaley, Gary passed away from cancer at a young age. He always gave me fair prices. This book looks real nice in the new mylar which I bought at Wonder Con from E. Gerber Products.

Still working on my legion run. Here's a bunch I picked up in a recent Heritage auction. A few upgrades, but mostly filling holes in my run.

adventure288.jpg

adventure289.jpg

adventure301-2.jpg

adventure304.jpg

adventure305.jpg

adventure306-2.jpg

adventure307.jpg

adventure309.jpg

adventure321.jpg

adventure323.jpg

Is that a Win Mortimer cover? I like his stuff. Nice books Ian, those are rarely seen.

Yes, both the #203 and #205 are the distictive style of J Winslow. He was pencilling some great covers in the early '50s, especially, in my opinion, the Batman titles.

My understanding is that he inked his own covers. I do agree that he did especially well with the Batman titles.