• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

This thread could use a bump. Bought this book raw at the Minneapolis Wizard Con back on May 1st. Book arrived a couple of days ago. One of the rarest pre-code Adventure Comics that collectors rarely see in above VG. Seller had graded a half-grade higher but both me and my comic book buddy Dale ("frozen-tundra guy") thought it might come back a 6.0. or 6.5 so I'm very pleased with the grade! DCs from 1954 are rare in Fine or better.

AdventureComics200_zps4c464929.jpg

Edited by Stevenrams

This thread could use a bump. Bought this book raw at the Minneapolis Wizard Con back on May 1st. Book arrived a couple of days ago. One of the rarest pre-code Adventure Comics that collectors rarely see in above VG. Seller had graded a half-grade higher but both me and my comic book buddy Dale ("frozen-tundra guy") thought it might come back a 6.0. or 6.5 so I'm very pleased with the grade! DCs from 1954 are rare in Fine or better.

AdventureComics200_zps4c464929.jpg

Great book Steve. :applause: Ditto on the apes. :cloud9: The seller was very nice to deal with, plus he has an awesome inventory of books for sale (800 or so slabs plus many raw books). (thumbs u

Edited by frozentundraguy

Thanks Dale. Now, whenever I look at the book, I'll think of the great time we had in the great state of Minnesota. Yes, I really like the book and so does my wife. We couldn't stop looking at it when it arrived. A super-nice copy of a rare book; in fact, it's broken out in the guide I guess because it's issue 200. Thanks all for your generous comments.

Nice one, Steve. I was planning on posting here myself soon, since I picked up some Adventures in an auction, but hadn't decided which ones. Took some inspiration from you - and the cheers for the apes - and settled on this one:

Adventure196_zpsc7b5f207.jpg

Nice one, Steve. I was planning on posting here myself soon, since I picked up some Adventures in an auction, but hadn't decided which ones. Took some inspiration from you - and the cheers for the apes - and settled on this one:

Adventure196_zpsc7b5f207.jpg

Another rarely seen Adventure Comics. I just love that cover--especially the orange background. Don't know how CGC would grade this book but methinks it's a real nice copy I'd like to see it scanned in the grading forum but that's up to you. Hope I get as lucky as you again and find some more of these rare Adventure Comics. :cloud9:

Edited by Stevenrams

Thanks, Steve. It was in a group described as "Average GD/VG", but I thought this one was real nice. I personally jump between VG+ and VG/FN, but I don't know (that's a bit of chipping on the top of the back cover poking up). I might put it in a PGM thread if I do some new scans (this one was still in the mylar).

That 196 is a beautiful cover that I don't think I've ever seen before. It's unusual to see a foe that's actually scary-looking in a DC, but Kingorrilla must have frightened a few kids when this one came out!

Even though I haven't bought many comics this year, I did buy this one a couple of months ago:

ADVC205_zps7c49d436.jpg

That 196 is a beautiful cover that I don't think I've ever seen before. It's unusual to see a foe that's actually scary-looking in a DC, but Kingorrilla must have frightened a few kids when this one came out!

Even though I haven't bought many comics this year, I did buy this one a couple of months ago:

ADVC205_zps7c49d436.jpg

Definitely a cool cover!! Love the DC blues and the entire book. (worship)

The Superman & Batman covers from this time period are mostly drawn by Win Mortimer who I've come to appreciate more over the years.

Adventure196.jpg