• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,897 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2022 at 7:20 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Here's a couple that I haven't run into before

Reveal hidden contents

Scan1233.jpg

Hide contents

I’ve got the Venus Domina (and the other Verotik stuff) but that Amazing Heroes special has eluded me. Been on my checklist for a long time. Great pickup!

On 2/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, F For Fake said:

I’ve got the Venus Domina (and the other Verotik stuff) but that Amazing Heroes special has eluded me. Been on my checklist for a long time. Great pickup!

Not surprised that you knew about it, little surprised it's that scarce, for you specifically not to find it. 

✌️

My goodness @mrwoogieman, I learned something knew!

On 2/7/2022 at 7:20 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not surprised that you knew about it, little surprised it's that scarce, for you specifically not to find it. 

✌️

My goodness @mrwoogieman, I learned something knew!

I'm not sure how scarce it is per se, but it's not something I've run across. With most of these things I collect, if I wanted to go the eBay route, or whatever, I could probably knock out the wish list a little faster. But I prefer to take my time and see what I run across naturally, at local shops, shows, etc. And fan mags like this, well, most folks just didn't hang onto them, or bother to put them in their backstock. So I just don't see this sort of thing very often. And you can never have too much Dave!

On 2/8/2022 at 8:21 AM, F For Fake said:

I'm not sure how scarce it is per se, but it's not something I've run across. With most of these things I collect, if I wanted to go the eBay route, or whatever, I could probably knock out the wish list a little faster. But I prefer to take my time and see what I run across naturally, at local shops, shows, etc. And fan mags like this, well, most folks just didn't hang onto them, or bother to put them in their backstock. So I just don't see this sort of thing very often. And you can never have too much Dave!

isn't naturally just the best :x It is either organically done, or the perfect marriage between bonding with the comic is not achieved for me. Scarcely true, yet it does send the heart a flitter :eek: 

I've often found the lost and found to be the best place to start lol Sometimes....... it is the small things that can ruin and break the train of thought. Such is life, I guess.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:21 AM, F For Fake said:

I like your style of finding but from where I live that way is just nor feasible.Maybe 3 or 4 collectors in a 50 mile radius from me.If not for Ebay I would probably only own a couple hundred comics.I've got nearly that many DS books & covers.Not all came from Ebay but the majority did.Necessary evil & all that.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, Toz said:

I like your style of finding but from where I live that way is just nor feasible.Maybe 3 or 4 collectors in a 50 mile radius from me.If not for Ebay I would probably only own a couple hundred comics.I've got nearly that many DS books & covers.Not all came from Ebay but the majority did.Necessary evil & all that.

That absolutely makes sense, and everyone should do what is right for them. There's no wrong way to collect! And I have definitely used eBay here and there to knock some hard to find stuff off of my lists. I'm not against it at all, I just enjoy the thrill of digging up what I can locally, it makes the hunt more fun. Then again, we have like 5-6 comic shops, several annual comic shows, and neighboring cities with shops, so I am very fortunate in that way. It also helps that I've been buying Dave books for most of my collecting life, at least 30 years, so even if I only add one or two books to the collection in the space of a year, but it accumulates over time.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:34 AM, F For Fake said:

That absolutely makes sense, and everyone should do what is right for them. There's no wrong way to collect! And I have definitely used eBay here and there to knock some hard to find stuff off of my lists. I'm not against it at all, I just enjoy the thrill of digging up what I can locally, it makes the hunt more fun. Then again, we have like 5-6 comic shops, several annual comic shows, and neighboring cities with shops, so I am very fortunate in that way. It also helps that I've been buying Dave books for most of my collecting life, at least 30 years, so even if I only add one or two books to the collection in the space of a year, but it accumulates over time.

I hear you.Wish I had that kind of access.Closest LCS is 50 miles away.Thirty years ago in my single life I made the trip 2 or 3 times a week. Of course if I did have that access I'd probably be a lot poorer now.

A couple of lesser known Dave books. You know, no babes, so less interest, generally. The JKC cover is Dave over Kirby, obviously. Dave didn't sign it, but is credited as such on the cover credits. Not sure if he just did inks, or if he also did the colors.

picop.jpg

IMG_4640.JPG

jkccop.jpg

On 3/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, valiantman said:

How did this topic miss the $120,000 final price on Alien Worlds #2 in April 2021?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-stevens-alien-worlds-2-cover-original-art-pacific-comics-1983-/a/7242-91019.s

I don't follow...Time Left:  15 days

On 3/23/2022 at 4:33 PM, AGGIEZ said:
On 3/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, valiantman said:

How did this topic miss the $120,000 final price on Alien Worlds #2 in April 2021?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-stevens-alien-worlds-2-cover-original-art-pacific-comics-1983-/a/7242-91019.s

I don't follow...Time Left:  15 days

I'm asking how we (as a Dave Stevens topic) didn't already discuss the Alien Worlds #2 cover that sold for $120,000 in April 2021 (last year)?  I scroll this topic back to April 2021 discussion and... nothing.