• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

I know how it works.

My point is that if the tape serves a purpose and the books are regraded they would be graded as though the tape wasn't there.

And my 'how do you know' comment was in relation to the grades not being affected, not what the actual grading rules are.

Meaning, you'd have to have seen and inspected these books to know whether or not the grades would be affected by the new rules.

+1

Those books will do just fine when they come up. (thumbs u

-J.

Yes they will.

Yeah I agree. An early Bats Tec is an early Bats Tec and will always be very desirable. Tape just makes me cautious as there are a set of circumstances (which of course won't apply to all books) where a book graded under the old rules will take a decent hit on re-submission.

I know how it works.

My point is that if the tape serves a purpose and the books are regraded they would be graded as though the tape wasn't there.

And my 'how do you know' comment was in relation to the grades not being affected, not what the actual grading rules are.

Meaning, you'd have to have seen and inspected these books to know whether or not the grades would be affected by the new rules.

Which takes me back to my original point - if the grades are already low enough (like most of these books are) , most of the defects tape would usually "fix" would be allowed anyway, with or without the tape. (thumbs u

-J.

I know how it works.

Nothing quite like changing the rules in the middle of the game :eyeroll:

Tec 28 blue label 8.5? Seriously...?

OMG. That will be one to watch.

+1

Definitely will be the one to watch as it is clearly the highest graded book out of this pre-Robin 'Tec run. (thumbs u

Will also be interesting to see if it is going to do better for the consignor on this go round. Originally sold by HA as part of their Billy Wright Auction back in late February of 2012 as a CGC 8.0 copy for $44.8K. Flipped back out 2 short months later in early May on HA as a CGC 8.5 copy, but took a big hit as it came in at only $38.8K on this second go round.

Original purchaser probably lost over $10K on the attempted flip of this book once you add in auction reselling fees, pressing fees (if any), and regrading fees. (shrug)

I am fully confident the book will do a lot better for the consignor on this particular go round, given how hot the pre-Robin 'Tec books are. (thumbs u

Are the grades dates from before CGC changed their policy? If so those books are hot potatoes.

Tape just makes me cautious as there are a set of circumstances (which of course won't apply to all books) where a book graded under the old rules will take a decent hit on re-submission.

Any idea when CGC changed this policy with respect to tape on books? ???

Sounds as though the new label books with tape is a safer bet as opposed to old label books with tape then. hm

Tec 28 8.5

Tec 29 3.5

Tec 30 7.0

Tec 31 4.5

Tec 32 3.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 2.5

Tec 35 3.0

Tec 36 4.5

Tec 38 4.0

All in ComicConnect's upcoming auction :ohnoez:

I shall make an attempt at one of them.

I've always wondered if having such an extended run of big dollar books might actually keep prices lower than what they would normally be? ???

After all, collector's pockets are only so deep. In a normal auction, you may have only 2 or 3 of these books available, and as a result, all eyes would probably be focused on each one of the books. In this particular auction, you have 10 books which is probably far too many for most collectors to even think of picking up. As a result, would many books result in less eyeballs on each on of them as collectors would probably focus in on only the ones which they really want, and therefore, result in lower prices. hm

Are the grades dates from before CGC changed their policy? If so those books are hot potatoes.

Tape just makes me cautious as there are a set of circumstances (which of course won't apply to all books) where a book graded under the old rules will take a decent hit on re-submission.

Sounds as though the new label books with tape is a safer bet as opposed to old label books with tape then. hm

Early 2013.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&cgc-modifies-stance-on-grading-submissions-with-tape

Early 2013.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&cgc-modifies-stance-on-grading-submissions-with-tape

Fortunately the label usually states whether the tape "is serving a purpose" or if it's just there. And reading the announcement again, it reinforces my point earlier, that these books are all of low enough grade where whatever existing defects were present are allowed for in the grade regardless , including the presence of the tape itself.

In other words, it certainly does not look as though the tape improved the grade of the books. If these books were 5.0's with "tape reattaching the cover", then yeah maybe then there would be some questions.

But certainly not at these grade levels.

@GK- Tape only "stains" if it oxidizes and browns. That can either a) take decades, or b) never happen if the books is properly stored. (thumbs u

-J.

I know how it works.

Nothing quite like changing the rules in the middle of the game :eyeroll:

While it' snot ideal, the change happened because there was a strong opposition to the unforeseen loophole that the grading rules created and it was in the best interest of protecting books for the long term.

Tec 28 8.5

Tec 29 3.5

Tec 30 7.0

Tec 31 4.5

Tec 32 3.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 2.5

Tec 35 3.0

Tec 36 4.5

Tec 38 4.0

I shall make an attempt at one of them.

I've always wondered if having such an extended run of big dollar books might actually keep prices lower than what they would normally be? ???

After all, collector's pockets are only so deep. In a normal auction, you may have only 2 or 3 of these books available, and as a result, all eyes would probably be focused on each one of the books. In this particular auction, you have 10 books which is probably far too many for most collectors to even think of picking up. As a result, would many books result in less eyeballs on each on of them as collectors would probably focus in on only the ones which they really want, and therefore, result in lower prices. hm

I somewhat agree and thus my goal is to start selling off my Tec comics (and the others in my collection) in about 10 years but do it in a trickle fashion. 1 or 2 comics a year to help with my pension and social security as well as lessen the tax burden.

As discussed a lot of you younger collectors in your 30s have a passion for this stuff. Some of you have the means to purchase them now. Every collector no matter how young if you are smart with your finances you should see the ability to make these larger purchases as you get older.

I have my eggs in about 4 baskets. The comic basket I feel the best about.

Tec 28 8.5

Tec 29 3.5

Tec 30 7.0

Tec 31 4.5

Tec 32 3.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 2.5

Tec 35 3.0

Tec 36 4.5

Tec 38 4.0

Looks like HA is gonna be competing with CC for early Detectives in their upcoming featured auction.

Tec 28 2.0

Tec 31 6.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 6.0 ®

Tec 35 3.5 ®

Tec 38 6.5 ®

Tec 28 8.5

Tec 29 3.5

Tec 30 7.0

Tec 31 4.5

Tec 32 3.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 2.5

Tec 35 3.0

Tec 36 4.5

Tec 38 4.0

Looks like HA is gonna be competing with CC for early Detectives in their upcoming featured auction.

Tec 28 2.0

Tec 31 6.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 6.0 ®

Tec 35 3.5 ®

Tec 38 6.5 ®

Some nice looking books.

Tec 28 8.5

Tec 29 3.5

Tec 30 7.0

Tec 31 4.5

Tec 32 3.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 2.5

Tec 35 3.0

Tec 36 4.5

Tec 38 4.0

Tec 28 2.0

Tec 31 6.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 6.0 ®

Tec 35 3.5 ®

Tec 38 6.5 ®

By far the nicest Tec 31 for sale in many years, right? Best one Heritage has ever had was the 5.5 Crippen ten years ago. Should be a fun auction to watch!

Tec 28 8.5

Tec 29 3.5

Tec 30 7.0

Tec 31 4.5

Tec 32 3.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 2.5

Tec 35 3.0

Tec 36 4.5

Tec 38 4.0

Tec 28 2.0

Tec 31 6.5

Tec 33 1.5

Tec 34 6.0 ®

Tec 35 3.5 ®

Tec 38 6.5 ®

Well, the bottom 3 should be less of a competition since they have been restored, which tends to scare off some of the potential purchasers. (shrug)