• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Long Before...

146 posts in this topic

I love SS books for bronze age to modern but I'm not hot on getting them done on SA or GA books. For a newer book with a large print run, it is nice to get a sweet CGC SS 9.8 to set it apart from the thousands of other copies out there (especially when you get it done yourself). Each SS book is unique.

A few years ago I got a whack of books signed by Stan the Man including a TOS #58. For some reason, it bothered me seeing it in a SS slab. It was so far removed from the rest of my run. So, I just purchased a raw copy from a board member a few weeks ago to replace it.

If there needs to be a sig, I prefer it on the inside page as opposed to the cover...but that's just me.

I feel the same way.

I don't understand taking a valuable book and having a signature sprawled across the cover...it is totally alien to my way of thinking and perception. I actually look at it as a mutilated book and, for me, a greatly devalued one to boot .

Yup. IBTLock.

Is anyone still playing the locked thread game?

Well, we would be if they'd lock some :censored: threads. :sumo:

:insane:

We need more violent Andrews.

Do you realize that I have yet to know a violent Andrew.

Every Andrew I know is a gentle soul.

Does anybody know of an angry Mo Fo named Andrew?

hm

Is this thread going to be locked because I'm wondering if a CGC book will be worth less than a raw one?

I was just joking because this was a pretty hot topic when it was discussed last time...about 4 weeks ago.

lol

Ancient history.

Most post-65 books are common as dirt, even in high grade. Bronze books, like the ones I have in the sales thread and which you may be referring to, :gossip: are really, really common as dirt. I don't get high-grade silver keys or gold books signed, but bronze and mid-grade silver, really, what's the harm? You either like it or you don't, and there are plenty of non-signed copies out there for you if you don't like it. (shrug)

If there needs to be a sig, I prefer it on the inside page as opposed to the cover...but that's just me.

When I was big into Sig Series....I always tried to get my HG books signed on the interior. These were a couple of my faves..... :cloud9:

CGCSSX-MEN140.jpg

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

When I was big into Sig Series....I always tried to get my HG books signed on the interior. This was one of my faves..... :cloud9:

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

:screwy: Crazy. Why wouldn't you want a fugly scribble on the cover? :shrug:

When I was big into Sig Series....I always tried to get my HG books signed on the interior. This was one of my faves..... :cloud9:

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

:screwy: Crazy. Why wouldn't you want a fugly scribble on the cover? :shrug:

Not to worry. I made the mistake of resubbing the book to add Claremont & Austin to the interior as well. I ended up with this.... :pullhair:

0ssx-men142.jpg

Probably got downgraded for the bad placement hm

I wasn't pissed about the downgrade. I was pissed about the sigs ending up on the cover.

Wish I would have left all my original Byrne submissions alone. :(

I love SS books..........BUT, the sig should be placed where it does not take away from the image of the cover. It should be neatly placed. I always ask the artist/writer/creator to sign in a specific area of the cover.

I love SS books..........BUT, the sig should be placed where it does not take away from the image of the cover. It should be neatly placed. I always ask the artist/writer/creator to sign in a specific area of the cover.

Totally agree. However, that location that "does not take away from the cover" differs from person to person.

...all of the nice copies of vintage books will be 'defaced' and in a CGC SS case? I'm seeing more and more key high grade SA and BA books getting signed and slabbed everyday. I'm not such a fan of signatures. I kind of prefer them on lower grade books if I do get them.

Do you think the supply of higher grade copies will be used up this way, and if so, do you think the remaining unsigned copies will begin to demand a premium over the signed copies?

I wonder. hm

As long as people continue to pay a premum for them.

No other answer.

Totally agree. However, that location that "does not take away from the cover" differs from person to person.

Agreed!

But, I am guessing, that most people would not want a sig across the main character, but, instead, placed where it does not "take away" from the main image.

Yep, and that's what makes SS books very personal and specific to the submitter...which imo makes resale very tricky.

However, in the example above...sticking that sig on the title seemed disruptive to me. The other sig was perfectly placed imo.