• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

i wasnt sure if it was a white logo or the pic just didnt capture the colour right.

i just checked and all my copies of shroud of mystery and shadow play and they are yellow logos. actually every goldkey/whitman comic i own is a yellow logo. i know all copies were bought local except the sealed ones. i remember one of my dealers telling me that they bought a load of whitman pre-packs and opened them up cause thats the only way they could get them. i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure they were not sold outside the pre-packs.

anyone else have any info?

i wasnt sure if it was a white logo or the pic just didnt capture the colour right.

i just checked and all my copies of shroud of mystery and shadow play and they are yellow logos. actually every goldkey/whitman comic i own is a yellow logo. i know all copies were bought local except the sealed ones. i remember one of my dealers telling me that they bought a load of whitman pre-packs and opened them up cause thats the only way they could get them. i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure they were not sold outside the pre-packs.

I can tell you that that one is a white logo copy. I have a couple more and I have way more Shroud of Mysterys than I do Shadow Plays, so I will check logo color on those.

There was a fair amount of discussion of the two different colored logos here

:gossip: Close to the end of the thread

Apparently, the reason behind the white and yellow logos is that some of those books were sold through comic shops (without the bags) and the yellow ones were sold in the pre-packs. I have about 25 sealed prepacks and all of them have the yellow logos. Whitman did this after they switched to direct distribution and this was their way to differentiate the comic shop vs department store versions.

I thought of another semi-tough book this evening:

Chris Ware's first comic, Floyd Farland:Citizen of the Future, published by Eclipse in 1987. Print run unknown. Based on a newspaper strip he did at the University of Texas at Austin.

Currently there are six copies for sale on eBay, with very high BINs. Guess there's not much demand anymore (or the asking price is too high).

Still, it is a major talent's first published work. Maybe it still has potential?

Also, there's a funny rumor that Ware is actively buying and destorying every copy he can get his hands on. He'd better get cracking!

I thought of another semi-tough book this evening:

Chris Ware's first comic, Floyd Farland:Citizen of the Future, published by Eclipse in 1987. Print run unknown. Based on a newspaper strip he did at the University of Texas at Austin.

Currently there are six copies for sale on eBay, with very high BINs. Guess there's not much demand anymore (or the asking price is too high).

Still, it is a major talent's first published work. Maybe it still has potential?

Also, there's a funny rumor that Ware is actively buying and destorying every copy he can get his hands on. He'd better get cracking!

with 6 copies on ebay - probably not that rare - I sold a VF on ebay for around $25 a decade ago.

Doesn't really look like his later stuff.

Still on my Steel Dragon Omaha search. Had to settle for this so far (2nd print)

44991_127859300593664_100001087832702_155156_5803448_n.jpg

The first print is pretty tough, but the BS 9 (first Omaha) is much tougher:

Omaha_1_sm.jpg

BS9.jpg

Anyone know of actual print runs for the BS 9, Omaha Steeldragon 1(both prints) and 2? Was there a 2nd print of # 2?

Anyone know of actual print runs for the BS 9, Omaha Steeldragon 1(both prints) and 2? Was there a 2nd print of # 2?

I had heard there are 10,000 copies of BS 9 first print from a Kitchen Sink forum discussion. I'll see if I can dig that up.

If #2 was Steel Dragon then there was surely a second print because all mine are Kitchen Sink :)

There's a 2nd printing of Omaha #2 from Steeldragon Press as well.

The Omaha #2 from Kitchen Sink which has "First Kitchen Sink printing October 1986" in the indicia is considered a 3rd print.

Anyone know if issues of Eightball #1 tell the printing?

I picked up a nice 9.4/9.6 copy today with date of 10/89 which should be first print.

It is.

Thanks for the info.