• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

It's pretty hard to find - there's also a 2nd printing of the Steel Dragon #1 (with a $1.75 cover price), so the Kitchen Sink reprint is actually the third or the fourth print (if the indicia says "Printing number: 5 4 3 2 1" it's a 3rd print, if it says "Printing number: 5 4 3 2" it's a 4th print).

Its tough, but not impossible. The hard part about finding Omaha books is that because of the explicit sexuality in them, nobody carries them around anymore, so there's no demand, blah blah blah.

Spot on.

What is the Nexus #1 Limited Edition?

There was a limited print run version with a 2-page poster and sketch. I forget if you had to mail in for it or not, but I believe it was advertised in the regular issue.

It is also signed and numbered. Limited to 500 copies.

Thanks! I thought so, but it has been so long since I have seen one, I totally forgot.

This is a GREAT thread.

Of the ones mentioned above, probably the Miracleman 3D 2Ds.

Superman 409 logo variant - two known copies (both sold on these boards!)

superman409.jpg

Superman/Bradman 1 - less than 10 known copies

Amethyst 1 and 2 35 cent price variants ( :hi: )

amethyst001.jpg

Warlord Kenner Toy giveaway - Ian Levine has one (I think), and that's the only one people know about.

I would go with some of the DC giveaways that Ian can't find. That, and I'm sure there are some bizarre black and white books that had print runs in the 500-1000 where 95% of the print run was mulched because they sucked so bad.

I have a Super-Hombre, Dan.

I also have two of the four amythest variants (there are both direct and newsstand 35 cent variants)

Great Thread!! Love seeing some of these rarities...earlier on someone mentioned a TMNT # 3 NY comic con edition?? How do you tell the difference between that one and the regular 3? Thanks and keep those great rare books coming!

the regular edition has two (or more, I forget) shades of blue. a pale blue and a deeper blue.

the nyc has only the deep blue. So its really just a difference in the coloring. The variant edition does not look as good.

One area of the coloring that people have zeroed in on is one of the shops in the background of the cover to #3 - a photo shop called "Laird's Photo". On the regular the Laird's Photo lettering is mostly pale blue. Since there is no pale blue on the NYC edition, it is just white. So this is one easy way to tell, but there are coloring differences all over the cover.

If you see two shades of blue, cheap. One shade, expensive.

Guts of the book are the same. I very much suspect it was just an unintentional printer error than any kind of planned variant.

Thanks!! Looks like I have the regular edition :sorry:

Most do. :)

I have owned one and only one #3 variant...bought it off eBay in 2001-ish for the princely sum of $68...it was graded "NM" by some big New England type dealer (no, not NEC)

It arrived, and had, at some point in its life, been folded in half at the spine. It was, AT BEST, a F/VF.

The only problem was, if it had been adverted as a F/VF, it would have sold for around $30....which I would have been ok with. But since the seller lied about the grade, I paid more for it than I should, so I sent it back.

To ype it off, the seller pretended they had another copy for sale, and they would "send out the other one when they received this one back."

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Of course, all I got was my money back. That deal still hurts, not just because I was robbed of a tough to find book at what NOW would be a steal, but because I was lied to with th promise of a "NM" copy in the wings.

I really should have kept it, andI really should have only paid $30 for it.

Oh well.

The ratio of Comic Collector Fail to Personal Growth as a Human Being is inverse proportionately.

The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat. --Beavis

Funny, I just used that same quote last week at work. Only one of my co-workers "got it". lol

Okay, so since the idea has been floated that none of the Star Comics line deserves to be even mentioned in this thread, who has a high grade run of all the Star titles?

I was going my Star books this weekend, finally sorting and itemizing everything I've picked up over the last year or so, I realized how quite a few were really the only copies I've run across in the several years I've been collecting (and getting a true "NM" copy was a true exception to the rule).

03cover-white.jpg

This is a terrible picture, but notice that the LIGHT blues are missing.

Compare with this:

!BvpMCzQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKjEEvVt0No5DBMF(4MNm!g~~_3.JPG

I didn't see the pic when I posted last...is this the variant?...I have to scan and post mine

NO. rma's post is a little unintentionally confusing because his link to the variant is not coming up. again, two shades cheap, one shade expensive. you can clearly see two shades in the image above

03cover-white.jpg

This is a terrible picture, but notice that the LIGHT blues are missing.

Compare with this:

!BvpMCzQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKjEEvVt0No5DBMF(4MNm!g~~_3.JPG

I didn't see the pic when I posted last...is this the variant?...I have to scan and post mine

NO. rma's post is a little unintentionally confusing because his link to the variant is not coming up. again, two shades cheap, one shade expensive. you can clearly see two shades in the image above

Thanks (thumbs u

there we go.

Now as an aside.

look at the O in photo. in the regular, its light blue. meaning if the printer just missed the light blue altogether it would have been white on the NYC.

but on the NYC the O is mostly blue.

So its not just that the light blue is missing, but that the whole coloring job was a clusterspoon

exactly the point I made; I totally agree. Now that the story behind this book and differences are starting to be better known I wonder if it will retain its price long term.

For the longest time, I and others like me no doubt thought the variant had some kind of photo of Laird in it lol not a coloring difference on the "Laird's Photo" sign in the background

exactly the point I made; I totally agree. Now that the story behind this book and differences are starting to be better known I wonder if it will retain its price long term.

For the longest time, I and others like me no doubt thought the variant had some kind of photo of Laird in it lol not a coloring difference on the "Laird's Photo" sign in the background

TMNT newb.

lol

I'm fairly certain that the 500 copies weren't an error, that they were done on purpose.

Eastman/Laird, or someone who has asked them that question could easily clear it up.