• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I posted on here about finding one of the Warlord Comic Books Battle Beneath the Earth.

Of all the things thats' come out of my parents attic, this is by far the coolest.

(yes this was my comic from when i was younger)

but I'm having a hard time piecing the puzzle together...

I would ultimately like reunite the comic with the correct action figure, but...

Currently on ebay there are 3 different versions of the Warlord Action figure.

all carded and blistered, but with different graphics and different card numbers

260/261 can be seen here: NOTE the "Plays with" Box on the right side

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-VINTAGE-REMCO-DC-THE-LOST-WORLD-OF-THE-WARLORD-Warlord-FIGURE-NEW-/311416802594?hash=item4881e34d22

270/271 can be seen here: NOTE the MISSING "Plays with" Box on the right side

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WARLORD-Remco-Lost-World-of-Warlord-5-figure-1982-MOC-Graded-AFA-85Y-/181197513849?hash=item2a3036a479

???/??? can be seen here: note the DIFFERENT "Plays with" on the right side

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1980s-Vintage-REMCO-Lost-World-of-WARLORD-MOC-/161714184793?hash=item25a6eaa259

any way of figuring out which one would have come with the comic that I have?

and lastly, I also found this advert on ebay, specifically noting the mini comic included with the figure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1983-COMIC-ADVERTISEMENT-FOR-REMCOS-THE-WARLORD-ACTION-FIGURES-/181640246476?hash=item2a4a9a34cc

thanks for all your help!

After not selling VOID the last 2 tries the dealer keeps increasing the price, as if that's going to help his sell it if it didn't go for $15,000.

And not just a little bit, but $5,000.00 a pop... $20,000.00 and now $25,000.00 !!! Really !??!

Right there is a bunch of high gage Golden Ages or a Major issue Silver Ages.

Ever some nice Kirby or Ditko Original artwork. doh!

Who cares if some person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point on eBay doesn't understand that demand is the important other side of the equation?

Do you want a copy? Is that why you're so upset?

Could someone please explain to me what makes this book so valuable. Thanks

It took years but I finally found another one of my grails. From the 1st Elflord Series (Nightwynd) the elusive Windblade #1. This might be the first time anyone has ever seen a copy.

Windblade #1

scan0168.jpgscan0169.jpg

I've never seen it, that's for sure. Wow. I wonder how many of those can possibly be floating around?

After not selling VOID the last 2 tries the dealer keeps increasing the price, as if that's going to help his sell it if it didn't go for $15,000.

And not just a little bit, but $5,000.00 a pop... $20,000.00 and now $25,000.00 !!! Really !??!

Who cares if some person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point on eBay doesn't understand that demand is the important other side of the equation?

It probably isn't. One seller's asking price does not necessarily determine value.

It probably isn't. One seller's asking price does not necessarily determine value.

That I clearly understand. I was hoping that someone would be able to explain the book's significance.

It took years but I finally found another one of my grails. From the 1st Elflord Series (Nightwynd) the elusive Windblade #1. This might be the first time anyone has ever seen a copy.

Windblade #1

scan0168.jpgscan0169.jpg

I've never seen it, that's for sure. Wow. I wonder how many of those can possibly be floating around?

Bronty has one :gossip: (vf or better? IIRC)

Not above selling it either but 50 bucks won't come close to getting me to part with it

Windblade #1

scan0168.jpgscan0169.jpg

I think the print run was a couple hundred, the Elflord series made it into the double digits at Nightwynd so I think it had a following. It might be safe to assume there's still a couple hundred out there in collections of people who collect small press, but they rarely come up for sale. I think they're probably mostly in Canada.

Windblade #1

scan0168.jpgscan0169.jpg

I think the print run was a couple hundred, the Elflord series made it into the double digits at Nightwynd so I think it had a following. It might be safe to assume there's still a couple hundred out there in collections of people who collect small press, but they rarely come up for sale. I think they're probably mostly in Canada.

It's far, far scarcer than that - I'm a pretty big small press collector and I've never come across a copy in the wild.

Al Stoltz from Basement Comics, who's one of the most prominent "weird indie *spoon*" collectors out there, gave up putting a full Nightwynd set together a while ago. These books are just friggin' impossible to find.

Found this little book today at a small con in Milwaukee today.

omahapreview_zpspzqqzphh.jpg

That is amazing :golfclap:

And I might add, quite unusual for an underground/indie publication to have a preview with those remarks on the cover regarding print runs and collectability attributions. While I recall the late 80s as being over saturated with S+N editions. I dont recall seing too many previews with those remarks. Whats the size of this book?

As recent sales demonstrate, it's not that valuable when you do factor in the demand side of the equation. I just picked up my copy of From the Void for $17, not $17,000!