• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD GA Report?

230 posts in this topic

Excellent observations and insight Frank - and I fully agree with you, one of the better shows in years.

OK, I did drive back down today (Sunday), and am ever so glad I did as I was able to deal and pull the trigger on more items for my collection (scans later).

The day got off to a slow start as I checked in with Harley to pick-up another Catman or two, but he was completely sold out! So a half-run of Catman, offered at multiples of Guide, disappeared into the hands of various eager buyers over several days - yikes, this title is just scorching hot.

Speaking of Catman, I latched onto this first issue. Honestly, as cool as the book really is I do think Catman 1 is one of the more common issues in the run and normally I would not pay a multiple for it (especially when I have a solid undercopy already). However, this particular book presented so well, I just could not resist.

:headbang:

Catman1.jpg

(con't next post)

The Dealers this year were universally friendly and almost all of them presented very credible (if not excellent) wall displays. I got to hang out behind multiple booths during the Con and noticed both buyers and sellers (walk-ins) were asking for and providing FULL DISCLOSURE on the books - really great to see, and no 'cons' at the 'Con' that I observed.

The crowd seemed rather light to me in the morning on Sunday, but the place really became engorged again by the afternoon.

Forgot to mention that I saw a couple of big DC (Superman, Adventure, Action, etc.) purchases, along with a mini-run (2-7) sale of Captain America, earlier in the show.

On a personal note, each year I bring a few select books from the vault and usually they fly out of the briefcase. This year though, I had to do a lot more horse-trading as: a) The Dealers were generally satisfied with their stock and did not want to expend funds, and/or b) The Dealers are operating on a tighter margin and cannot offer larger sums (e.g., multiples on a pedigree) as they have in the past due to the changing marketplace dynamics.

Not much more to report, but I look forward to other attendee's reports as they travel home and show off their books - I really had a great time at SDCC this year!

Centaurs, early Fox, early Fiction House, and MLJ's were very, very scarce, hardly to be found at the Con at all.

hm indeed! That's very interesting news - would you normally expect to see more of those?

No, not really but one never knows what will turn up. FUELMAN managed to score some books in these categories, just waiting on his scans... :popcorn:

Centaurs, early Fox, early Fiction House, and MLJ's were very, very scarce, hardly to be found at the Con at all.

hm indeed! That's very interesting news - would you normally expect to see more of those?

No, not really but one never knows what will turn up. FUELMAN managed to score some books in these categories, just waiting on his scans... :popcorn:

Spill the beans, Steve dawg!!

:baiting:

40sJohn=Barry; no wonder I'm always confused around here!!

Barry's not me, you can call me Frank.

Great report, Barry! :applause:
Sorry, Frank! I got you mixed up with 40sJohn

I agree with Mike, excellent report from ComicCon. I especially liked your observation on the demographics. I think the movie industry is seriously helping to pull younger fans to our hobby. One question: Do you think the shrinking GA/SA sales area is due to the high costs of booths and accommodations?

(BTW, the 40sJohn username refers to my mostly unused first name, Barry is middle name.)

(thumbs u

I have never understood the business of being a Golden Age dealer on a full time basis, it seems more like a hobby. Having said that the convention certainly has shifted to a major commercial event with commensurate table rates. I don't know how these guys do it. Someone said Redbeard wasn't there; good point I usually see him. I have noticed his inventory over the last few years seemed a little thin sometimes. Too bad, I liked dealing with Ron and made a great trade with him a number of years ago.I can see the day coming when the Golden Age guys with some exceptions get shunted off to a seperate room with lower table rates or something. The big boys will probably play downstairs as the media loves the Action 1 goes for a Million dollars stories; but really how many dealers have that kind of stock?

Nice pick-ups everyone.

I was only able to attend on Thursday. But, I did get to see some great books. I purchased some OA this year and did not pull the trigger on anything. I was seriously tempted by a More Fun from Rick and from Ted. Maybe I will after I check some personal expenses in the next few days.

The best part was having a few short chats with all the board members. I just wish I was able to chat longer, but I felt rushed to get through the day.

I hope next year I can get there 2-3 days, I have don't that in several years.

Any clue what he is asking, It's gotta be some serious coin

400 g's-1/2 mil is my guess.

Good guess, Billy. He's asking 400K. There's talk that he might be willing to break up the run if he gets enough offers on individual issues to make the total add up to his 400K asking price.

That Gary Keller is never around when you need him!

The Dealers this year were universally friendly and almost all of them presented very credible (if not excellent) wall displays. I got to hang out behind multiple booths during the Con and noticed both buyers and sellers (walk-ins) were asking for and providing FULL DISCLOSURE on the books - really great to see, and no 'cons' at the 'Con' that I observed.

The crowd seemed rather light to me in the morning on Sunday, but the place really became engorged again by the afternoon.

Forgot to mention that I saw a couple of big DC (Superman, Adventure, Action, etc.) purchases, along with a mini-run (2-7) sale of Captain America, earlier in the show.

On a personal note, each year I bring a few select books from the vault and usually they fly out of the briefcase. This year though, I had to do a lot more horse-trading as: a) The Dealers were generally satisfied with their stock and did not want to expend funds, and/or b) The Dealers are operating on a tighter margin and cannot offer larger sums (e.g., multiples on a pedigree) as they have in the past due to the changing marketplace dynamics.

Not much more to report, but I look forward to other attendee's reports as they travel home and show off their books - I really had a great time at SDCC this year!

You have provided some excellent reports in this thread, thanks for sharing the information.

:applause:

You have provided some excellent reports in this thread, thanks for sharing the information.

:applause:

Agreed. (thumbs u

Thanks Steve. Always enjoy your commentary.

The Cat 1 presents so beautifully :golfclap:

Earlier in the thread you said "Highlights? A half-run of Catmans sold as a stack to Harley Yee."

Then later you mentioned the whole run selling.

You were only able to pick up the #1. Did you cherry pick the one? Was that the only one left by the time you decided to pull the trigger?

What was the runs average grade?

Were some of the tough issues in there like the Hitler choking cover ... etc.

Details Details .... I love the details ... thank you so much for what you've shared already.

Hey ... still waiting on my GATOR overstreet to come in the mail ... how did the Catman run do in guide this year ... Anybody?

I was under the impression he was trying to put together a run of Catman ... seems like he'd be all over that ... but in all the photos of the New Force comic booth and wall ... he didn't have any on display ...

Anyway thanks again sacentaur .... books for sale, bought and sold ... photos of your purchases .... my favorite kinds of posts ... so far your line is my favorite on SDCC ...

Correction on my part .... you didn't mention the whole run selling ... I meant all of the half run Harley Yee picked up ... sold through ....

Just blows me away as those are some expensive books ... and like you said ... wow ... that is a hot title ...

Anyway thanks again for sharing :acclaim:

I was there whn Jeff sold them to Harley (the catmen)

There were 3 I was interested in but only one I purchased...my run has been done a while but 3 would have been upgrades...one made its way to me. ..none in my Booth because I have none for sale. :)

There was a 20 but I don't recall a 13 or 16

Correct - the ones I recall were 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 (beauty w/slight resto), 7 (coupon out back cover), 8, 10, 11, 18, 19, 20 (very low grade), 21, 22, 23, and 24. They all sold at multiples of Guide.

I bought the Catman 1, 5 (first Kitten), and 6.

Most books were mid-grade with nice (off-white) paper. No high-grades.

I didn't want to blow all my dough early in the show so I passed on a few others that in hindsight I should have picked up.

For some unknown reason, the Guide has not corrected the pricing on this title. (shrug)

For some unknown reason, the Guide has not corrected the pricing on this title. (shrug)

I agree. The guide really needs to drop those prices soon.