• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,279 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, OtherEric said:

In today.  Finally, after 38 years, I've replaced the long lost copy of the first issue of MAD I ever had.  My parents bought it for me when I was about 8 and we were living in Germany; it got left behind when we moved back to the states a few years later.  We had weight restrictions on what we could bring back, my parents were actually reasonably generous on letting me keep some of my comics... but I had to give this one, and lots of others, up in the shuffle.  (I regret giving up my four year run of Micky Maus, but I still have the 40-odd Lustiges Taschenbuch digests.)

I've said this before and probably will say it again:  I've always considered myself very lucky to have the sort of parents who would give me a copy of MAD when I was old enough to start enjoying it, rather than take it away if they saw me with a copy.  Very, very happy to have a copy of this one again.

Mad_Super_Special_030.jpg

My parents were the opposite. They didn't like me reading horror comics or MAD. They called it "Subversive". So I kept them with my Playboys in a wooden box in the treehouse...

On 4/14/2022 at 5:14 PM, wampus13 said:

Anyone else collect foreign Mad Magazines? After almost a year long wait, got back my Hebrew/Israeli Mad #1 back from being graded. Happy with the grade and I am in the process of collecting most foreign Mad #1s  

scan_jw9888rh_2022-04-05-11-25-21_1.jpeg

Love the cover🥰🥰 never saw this before, or any other foreign ones👍‼️

On 4/14/2022 at 2:14 PM, wampus13 said:

Anyone else collect foreign Mad Magazines? After almost a year long wait, got back my Hebrew/Israeli Mad #1 back from being graded. Happy with the grade and I am in the process of collecting most foreign Mad #1s  

scan_jw9888rh_2022-04-05-11-25-21_1.jpeg

That is wild! Never seen that one. Somewhere I have the Sweden and German MAD #1.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:26 AM, Robot Man said:

Some pre-MAD matchbook weirdness…

2E69FBF6-C817-44DA-ADAC-CB60536755D6.jpeg

Man, Bob, you have some really obscure items and knowledge that should really get documented somehow.  I'm willing to bet that some of these items have only a dozen or so examples still in existence.  Thanks for sharing, as always!  :applause: