• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2023 at 10:55 PM, OtherEric said:

Mad 066.jpg

Does it look to you like JFK's head hurts?

On 3/14/2023 at 7:02 PM, wampus13 said:

For Today's Madness I have issue number 24, first Magazine format. Pictured besides it is a 9.8 of the Australian reprint of issue number 24. This is the only Australian Reprint in the CGC census, so I am the only one Mad or Stupid enough to get it graded. There is a US reprint of Issue 24 but it is much more rare than the Australian Reprint and I hope to get my hands on it someday 

unnamed.jpg

A nice pair 🃏 pair 

On 3/23/2023 at 2:34 PM, Hes Dead Jim said:

did they reprint the comic versions?

I know i have issue number 4, but i seem to remember it coming inside a later magazine and you had to tear it out and sometimes staple it together if you dont do it right

I think you're describing the nostalgic mad.  We can identify what you have if you provide a picture or scan.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:54 PM, OtherEric said:

I think you're describing the nostalgic mad.  We can identify what you have if you provide a picture or scan.

probably, that sounds right. im not really sure where it is lol but i'll find it eventually. I recently found my horror stuff and some sci fi comics and some mad mags from the late 70's  - mid 80's so far

thanks

On 3/23/2023 at 2:12 PM, wampus13 said:

For Today's Madness, is the most infamous issue of Mad #166, the Middle Finger Issue. This is a 9.2 CGC graded, it is a pedigree Middle Finger, from the Don Rosa Collection. My wife does not let me display it and she wants me to sell it.....

2172_001.jpg

2173_001.jpg

Back cover awesome ‼️👍

On 4/3/2023 at 10:45 AM, wampus13 said:

After being at CGC for over a year, I got this CGC Mad Magazine back and the first Mad Magazine I have in the new CGC magazine holder. For Mad Magazine Collecting it doesn't get any more rare or obscure then this issue. This is German Mad Magazine #180 and what makes this really special is it has a recalled/ never sold/released/cover. German Mad Staff decided not to release this cover due to it offending the country of Turkey. Only a hand full of issues survived and all the ones that survive were kept by staff members of German Mad Magazine. This is also one of the very few Mad Magazines that had an official recall and gets the recall note on CGC label

scan_jw9888rh_2023-04-03-10-34-01_1.jpeg

scan_jw9888rh_2023-04-03-10-34-01_2.jpeg

The German version of the mascot (Alfred E. Neuman?) looks more like an Isz from The Maxx...

image.png.340624fbfc2fb6619ce24187373b3554.png

On 4/3/2023 at 8:45 AM, wampus13 said:

After being at CGC for over a year, I got this CGC Mad Magazine back and the first Mad Magazine I have in the new CGC magazine holder. For Mad Magazine Collecting it doesn't get any more rare or obscure then this issue. This is German Mad Magazine #180 and what makes this really special is it has a recalled/ never sold/released/cover. German Mad Staff decided not to release this cover due to it offending the country of Turkey. Only a hand full of issues survived and all the ones that survive were kept by staff members of German Mad Magazine. This is also one of the very few Mad Magazines that had an official recall and gets the recall note on CGC label

Was there a corrected edition released?

May I take your scan and use it on the Grand Comics Database?

On 4/3/2023 at 12:25 PM, OtherEric said:

Was there a corrected edition released?

May I take your scan and use it on the Grand Comics Database?

Yes, this is what Mad German #180 looks like with the released cover:

https://madtrash.com/item/040001982/

I don't own the released cover of German mad #180, only the recalled edition.

Yes, feel free to use my scan. I also have to give props to the CGC research department for knowing that this was recalled and put recalled on the label, since there is next to zero information on the internet about German Mad #180 being recalled. 

On 4/3/2023 at 11:45 AM, wampus13 said:

Never saw one of these before👍‼️

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/al-jaffee-of-mad-magazine-dies-aged-102/

Al Jaffee of MAD Magazine Dies, Aged 102

10.9.16AlJaffeeByLuigiNovi1.thumb.webp.08819777884db2c303960963769f6035.webp

Al Jaffee retired from cartooning at the age of 99 in 2020. Today it was announced that he had sadly passed away at the ripe age of 102. Best known for his run on Mad Magazine since the fifties, he has the longest continual run on any publication by any cartoonist. His fold-in pages alone that so defined him in the eyes of many were published every single month from 1964 until 2019.

MAD Magazine: MAD Magazine mourns the loss of the incomparable Al Jaffee, creator of the MAD Fold-In, "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions," and many other MAD features through the decades. A humble and kind creator, Al's presence, his astute social commentary, and his endless amusement at life's ups and downs shaped the fabric of the magazine.
Al Jaffee was an incredibly gifted man who touched our hearts and never failed to make us laugh," said Jim Lee, Chief Creative Officer and Publisher of DC. "He won the highest honors in the comics industry, and he was treasured by all who were lucky enough to meet him."
l was named the Reuben Awards' Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year in 2008, and was inducted into the Will Eisner Hall of Fame in 2013 and the Society of Illustrators' Hall of Fame in 2014. He holds the Guinness World Record for the longest career as a comic artist, beginning with his first publication in Joker Comics in 1942 and continuing through his time at MAD until his retirement in 2020.
"Al was, at heart, a rascal," said John Ficarra, a former MAD Editor-in-Chief who worked with Al for over 35 years. "He always had a playful twinkle in his eye and brought that sensibility to everything he created."
"It was an event when Al would visit the MAD offices to drop off a Fold-In," said former MAD Art Director Sam Viviano. "The entire staff would gather for an hour just to listen to him talk about his amazing life and career."
"Al embodied the true spirit of MAD, and so many humorists, cartoonists and creatives will find inspiration in his work for generations to come," said Suzy Hutchinson, MAD's current Art Director. "He was a national treasure, and it was an honor to work with and learn from such an ingenious, caring, and wholly creative soul, the best of the Original Gang of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons."
An archive of Al's work is held at Columbia University.
He will be MADly missed.

Edited by ak47po