• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2022 at 10:19 AM, MAR1979 said:

Obtained MAD for the main but not only month-year combo i collect. I wanted to hold out for a 9.8 but there is only 1 and in 20 years of searching I figured let me grab the only 9.6.    According to the USPS report in the issue there were 1.25 million copies SOLD of the nearest issue to the filing date.  It's amazing how many MAD's from the time were sold and how few seemingly exist in high grade today.

In the 1980's via being gifted issues by those looking to clear out their stuff, 1978-1982 issues were my MAD era.

image.thumb.jpeg.4566f93cecc3012305d821292e1c1fe5.jpeg

That is sweet😃🥰

@OtherEric, you give me hope that someone might buy my Warren undercopies some day...

:flipbait:

I do love that you are not hung up on condition so much--you collect because you love the books, not because they are trophies.  I try to keep that perspective myself, but I can't say that I haven't been somewhat subtly seduced by grading scale aspirations over the past year (especially after getting those gorgeous Vampirellas).  I've even been spending some Xmas money to upgrade some of my more "grade challenged" EERIEs--but now I know there is a home for them out there somewhere too.  (thumbsu

On 1/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, OtherEric said:

Just got a huge stack- over two dozen- of MAD's from @Tri-ColorBrian, all but one from 1966 or earlier.  Reader copies, but average cost was a little over $5, so I'm super happy.  Here's the first few:

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

043.jpg

045.jpg

That guy must be crazy to sell old Mad's that CHEAP...:screwy:

Back in the 70's all I used to collect with Mad, Cracked, Crazy, Sick, etc...Cracked was my favorite.  I had them all as a kid and they got thrown out in the move.  Hundreds of them.  I started collecting Cracked again because the older ones seem harder to find in good condition.  But these magazines were my childhood.