• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2023 at 10:08 PM, Beyonder123 said:

Does anyone here collect mad subscription copies? I never hear anyone talking about them but I always am buying them. I can post more photos of others if people are interested.20230420_220705.thumb.jpg.9e3500d737488e40cb9e0373c828cfb3.jpg

I don’t really collect them in the sense that I look for them. I subscribed for many years and that was the way they came. Thought about carefully removing the outer mailers but have never done it. Never heard of anyone seeking them out. 

On 4/21/2023 at 7:51 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t really collect them in the sense that I look for them. I subscribed for many years and that was the way they came. Thought about carefully removing the outer mailers but have never done it. Never heard of anyone seeking them out. 

I had a subscription back in 2014 or 15 for a couple years. I was suprised when they came with the outer cover since I had never seen them like that before. I rarely see them, especially the 90s ones. So that causes me to search them out. I'd be happy to take your copies off your hands if you don't want them 😁

For today's Madness, is Mad #521 that was recalled and features the only unpublished Al Jaffee fold in. Heritage Auctions actually sold the original Art for the unpublished fold ind

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/al-jaffee-mad-521-unpublished-inside-back-cover-fold-in-illustration-painting-original-art-ec-2013-/a/7231-95169.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Basically, it was too similar to the Auroura, CO movie theater shooting. With this issue in my collection it completes my Mad Magazine recalled set, As far as I know, the only Mad Magazines that got recalled where Mad #521, German Mad #180 and Millenium Edition Mad #1. Does anyone know of any other Mad Magazines that have been recalled that I am missing? Btw, Mad #166 the middle finger issue does not count because it was never formally recalled

image_67238401.JPG

image_67225601.JPG

On 5/13/2023 at 11:26 PM, wampus13 said:

For today's Madness, is Mad #521 that was recalled and features the only unpublished Al Jaffee fold in. Heritage Auctions actually sold the original Art for the unpublished fold ind

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/al-jaffee-mad-521-unpublished-inside-back-cover-fold-in-illustration-painting-original-art-ec-2013-/a/7231-95169.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Basically, it was too similar to the Auroura, CO movie theater shooting. With this issue in my collection it completes my Mad Magazine recalled set, As far as I know, the only Mad Magazines that got recalled where Mad #521, German Mad #180 and Millenium Edition Mad #1. Does anyone know of any other Mad Magazines that have been recalled that I am missing? Btw, Mad #166 the middle finger issue does not count because it was never formally recalled

image_67238401.JPG

image_67225601.JPG

Thank you, very interesting article which I never knew before

On 5/24/2023 at 10:40 AM, Hap Hazard said:

Recent pick ups for all things MAD:

I now have two items from MAD Jewelry the Scatter Pin and the Cuff Links.

And straight from England is the Best of Mad bound annual from the early 60's, says six issues came with five. Anyone have a

issue to compare?

mad jewelry 1.jpg

cuff link b.jpg

Best of Mad UK.jpg

Best of Mad inside.jpg

Wow, Steve, you are on a roll! All I have are the cuff links and tie bar. Haven’t seen any other jewelry in years. I haven’t looked real hard but none of the pieces have ever been easy to find. I only have ever heard of one charm bracelet in collector’s hands. Might now be in Jim Halperin’s collection. Can’t confirm for sure.

That MAD annual is Awsome. Never seen one at all. What other issues are inside? I assume all pence editions. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 5/26/2023 at 2:51 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  Only 5 issues to go for the 1-106 run:

Mad 041.jpg

Mad 061.jpg

So long ago but I remember being in that spot. Last one I needed was #27. Long before mail order and the internet. Had to rely on garage sales, used book stores, swap meets and other collecting kids. Was a great day when I finally got it!

What numbers are you missing? 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:27 AM, Robot Man said:

So long ago but I remember being in that spot. Last one I needed was #27. Long before mail order and the internet. Had to rely on garage sales, used book stores, swap meets and other collecting kids. Was a great day when I finally got it!

What numbers are you missing? 

33, 35, 36, 37, 42.

They're lumped up closer than they might have been otherwise because I had already completed the 1-31 run before I extended it forward, and when I did I got a LOT of books from @Tri-ColorBrian in the 38-up range. 

On 5/26/2023 at 10:51 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  Only 5 issues to go for the 1-106 run:

Mad 041.jpg

Mad 061.jpg

What's wrong with Issue 107?

I started collecting UK MADs off the newsstand around issue 100 and madly recently decided I needed all the earlier issues whilst they are still cheap and have been working backwards. (Of course MAD has always been cheap even when it wasn't really. They told us so every issue). I have to be careful and ensure that I only get UK editions as the numbering and interior content are different. Our Mads started circa 1959 and were only ever in Magazine format.

11.thumb.jpg.ae57ebce6f17e827937498406fd11109.jpg

61.jpg.28557fb35d32d95ec60fead1839503b7.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 5/27/2023 at 11:54 AM, themagicrobot said:

What's wrong with Issue 107?

Nothing, I probably would have picked #100 as a stopping point... but I already had #105 with the classic Batman & Alfred cover, and #106 with the Frazetta back cover, so it seemed like a good stopping point.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:47 PM, OtherEric said:

Nothing, I probably would have picked #100 as a stopping point... but I already had #105 with the classic Batman & Alfred cover, and #106 with the Frazetta back cover, so it seemed like a good stopping point.

You also have #166, so maybe #107-165 is a good idea...:gossip:  :makepoint:  :bigsmile:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 5/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, OtherEric said:

I admire you people who have stopping points.