• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

For Today's Madness is Mad #366 the NHRA variant. In 1998, the Toliver Mad Racing Team gave out free issues of Mad #366 with a slight cover variation, it did not have a UPC in the lower left like the newsstand version, this was not available at the newstand either. All of them were bagged in plastic and bundled with the NHRA promotion Jr Dragster Membership.As far as I know that is the only graded copy of this variation. When I sent it to CGC, this copy was still sealed in its plastic bag, so I was a little unhappy with the 6.0 grade but unless I get a 9.8, I am always unhappy with the grade, that how it goes

unnamed (9).jpg

On 6/9/2023 at 12:14 AM, OtherEric said:

In today, courtesy of @Robot Man.  There were also lower grade copies of #36 and #37 that I will need to upgrade, even by my low standards.  But I've now got the Mad 1-106 run complete!

A huge thanks to Robot Man for reaching out to me with these; I love these boards.

Mad 035.jpg

All great books, but I find the 35 most interesting with all of the cultural advertising logos and trademarks. How some have stayed similar and others have changed completely over the decades is fascinating!

On 6/8/2023 at 9:14 PM, OtherEric said:

In today, courtesy of @Robot Man.  There were also lower grade copies of #36 and #37 that I will need to upgrade, even by my low standards.  But I've now got the Mad 1-106 run complete!

A huge thanks to Robot Man for reaching out to me with these; I love these boards.

Mad 033.jpg

Mad 035.jpg

Mad 042.jpg

Always glad to help out another fellow MAD man. Yeah, those other 2 are beaters but at least hole fillers for a while. 

On 6/9/2023 at 5:34 AM, Jayman said:

All great books, but I find the 35 most interesting with all of the cultural advertising logos and trademarks. How some have stayed similar and others have changed completely over the decades is fascinating!

One of my favorite MAD covers. Great front AND back wrap around. Lots of my other non MAD collector friends really like it. Sadly, the passage of time has not been kind to Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and several others. A lot of other characters have just slipped into obscurity. It is still fun to identify as many as possible. 

Of the 10 or so MAD magazines that survived in the box with my Warrens, I actually have one of those!

It's not a 9.0, but for sitting unprotected on a shelf/in a storage box for 45 years, it ain't bad...

MAD196F.thumb.jpg.5bcfb6232de6c3493500ef373657044b.jpgMAD196B.thumb.jpg.61b0166f1cb50242e9807033e57e82a6.jpg

On 6/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, Jayman said:

I’m losing my memory oe something because I can’t remember any of these peoples on the cover

On 9/14/2023 at 5:51 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I’m losing my memory oe something because I can’t remember any of these peoples on the cover

Look closely Foggy and you should remember some of them; Lipton Tea, Campbell Soup kids, Cream of Wheat, Camel Cigarettes, Smokey the Bear, Arm & Hammer, etc.

IMG_2217.jpeg

Edited by Jayman