• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Who was the artist for the first one in 1992... They were really touting him as the next big thing, but I can't seem to remember who it was...

Are you thinking of Rafael Kayanan, from the short running Conan the Adventurer series?

No one was selling ANYTHING Valiant for 25 cents in 1993.

Please, let's not re-write history. Valiant was the single hottest thing on the planet, ESPECIALLY from January to July-ish. Yes, demand died in the Fall....but the books didn't go from $50 to quarter books overnight. There wasn't a month that went by that Valiant wasn't pimped excessively by Wizard, and that was the year Wizard had its most influence on the entire industry.

Even the most radically overprinted books...Turok #1 the radicalest...were popular.

Turok #1 DID "sell out" across the nation, after all....it just sold out to speculators waiting for it to be the next Bloodshot #1.

to clarify (after doing some research), i was talking about the philadelphia comicfest in november 1993, not the wizardworld in july 1993. i think wizard sponsored both. that is where I bought a stack of those valiants for 25 cents each from a bulk overstock dealer as well as a several x-men 300s and the like for 25 cents. at the end of the show, maybe they were more before.

dunno about pre-unity stuff as I wasn't looking. dealers were having a tought time moving the harbinger TPB for $20 as I recall.

Turok #1 DID "sell out" across the nation, after all....it just sold out to speculators waiting for it to be the next Bloodshot #1.

----

what do you mean by "sell out"? the distributor unloaded their copies?

there were certainly plenty stuck on comic shop racks forever.

----

what do you mean by "sell out"? the distributor unloaded their copies?

there were certainly plenty stuck on comic shop racks forever.

They were sold out at the distributor level. Hence the quotes.

ComicFest '93 occurred October 8-11.

Was that like the Woodstock of comics? you know like Woodstock was considered the end of the 1960`s by most, could ComicFest '93 be considered the end of the comicbook speculators 90`s bubble? if not that then what con was? When people realized the word had spread these Turok 1`s and Image books are worthless and nothing but dreck?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

ComicFest '93 occurred October 8-11.

Was that like the Woodstock of comics? you know like Woodstock was considered the end of the 1960`s by most, could ComicFest '93 be considered the end of the comicbook speculators 90`s bubble? if not that then what con was? When people realized the word had spread these Turok 1`s and Image books are worthless and nothing but dreck?

I think October 1993 is a very good estimate. Turok #1 was six months old.

Don't forget that Turok #1 was the 5th best selling book in its MONTH.

The first four were the "Return of the Supermen" die cut (not-the-real-Superman) books.

Those would have been six months old as well.

Six months after all that happened, it was pretty clear that those particular books were worthless as "collectibles".

The white-bagged Adventures of Superman #500 was EVERYWHERE and unsellable... seven months old.

Six months is still a very good test for the staying power of the latest "hot" comics.

Think about how many "can't miss" books we've seen in the last decade

that weren't even half their "peak value" when they hit the six month mark.

In my world, yeah--the weekend of ComicFest '93 was my awareness of the market crash--_at least_- with regard to Valiant.

The night before the convention, I paid $25 for an X-O Manowar # 3 that had finally come in at my LCS (Showcase, in Bryn Mawr). It had been on my want-list for months, and was the last issue I needed for that run. Only--at that point I didn't want to pay $25 for it, assuming I might be able to find one cheaper at ComicFest the next day. The store clerk (rightfully) guilted me into buying it.

Enter the weekend. Nearly _every_ dealer at the convention had pre-unity Valiants (except, as I recall, Harbinger 0) in depth. But Ultraverse books (esp. Prime # 2) were the new must-have books.

The same dealer from whom I bought those pre-unity Magnus books for $1 per also had a Rai 0 (glossy) for $22. I'd never seen the book before and couldn't tell the difference, so I passed. I'm still convinced that "variant" was made up by "the Edgeman" or whoever was advertising them in comics at that time.

But for me--in that one weekend I went from (begrudgingly) paying for a generic pre-unity at its peak value to seeing piles of Turok 1 and books like Rai 6-8 for $1 each.

And a week later, I was so convinced that Ultraverse was the next Valiant that I traded 5 NM later Byrne X-Men issues for my buddy's 45 book Ultraverse collection.

Oops.

Wonder Woman and the Star Riders is nearly impossible to find. There are at least three copies on eBay and all are going for more than $100 each. Mycomicshop.com has five copies with a VG going for $22. This book was listed in one of the later issues of Deathstroke on one of the DC Direct Currents news pages as a comic that no one would ever find, because they were never distributed. The cartoon was cancelled before it ever hit the air and the comic was never supposed to be distributed, either, but a few -- very few -- got out and inserted into Cinnaminibuns cereal. The other minicomics that were in this set aren't easy to find, either, but they're nowhere near as rare as the Wonder Woman issue.

Wonder Woman and the Star Riders is nearly impossible to find. There are at least three copies on eBay and all are going for more than $100 each. Mycomicshop.com has five copies with a VG going for $22.

You have found eight copies. I must need to bone up on what the word "impossible" means.

Wonder Woman and the Star Riders is nearly impossible to find. There are at least three copies on eBay and all are going for more than $100 each. Mycomicshop.com has five copies with a VG going for $22.

You have found eight copies. I must need to bone up on what the word "impossible" means.

You're not going to bone up here are you? :sick:

Sung to the tune of Candyman

Who can take a comment

Make it gross and weird

Use a double entendre on a comment that's quite clear

The Kandahar Man can, The Kandahar man can

In my world, yeah--the weekend of ComicFest '93 was my awareness of the market crash--_at least_- with regard to Valiant.

The night before the convention, I paid $25 for an X-O Manowar # 3 that had finally come in at my LCS (Showcase, in Bryn Mawr). It had been on my want-list for months, and was the last issue I needed for that run. Only--at that point I didn't want to pay $25 for it, assuming I might be able to find one cheaper at ComicFest the next day. The store clerk (rightfully) guilted me into buying it.

Enter the weekend. Nearly _every_ dealer at the convention had pre-unity Valiants (except, as I recall, Harbinger 0) in depth. But Ultraverse books (esp. Prime # 2) were the new must-have books.

The same dealer from whom I bought those pre-unity Magnus books for $1 per also had a Rai 0 (glossy) for $22. I'd never seen the book before and couldn't tell the difference, so I passed. I'm still convinced that "variant" was made up by "the Edgeman" or whoever was advertising them in comics at that time.

But for me--in that one weekend I went from (begrudgingly) paying for a generic pre-unity at its peak value to seeing piles of Turok 1 and books like Rai 6-8 for $1 each.

And a week later, I was so convinced that Ultraverse was the next Valiant that I traded 5 NM later Byrne X-Men issues for my buddy's 45 book Ultraverse collection.

Oops.

I had been a few months into getting back into collecting since I stopped in like 86 or so and was really excited to go to the show. Thankfully, I thought these back issue prices for new books were absolutely insane and had no interest in the new stuff (except at cheap "just to read" prices, which is why I was happy to get them for 25 cents a pop). I was at that show to buy vintage material, some expensive (by my then standards) and to see what kind of old stuff I could get out of dollar boxes (and I got a lot of it, even in nice shape).

Edited by the blob

Who can take a comment

Make it gross and weird

Learn how to syllableize, newb.

Who can take a comment

Make it gross and weird

Learn how to syllableize, newb.

Don't hate, celebrate.