• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

I looked for this around the time it should have come out and had no luck. Years later it was given to me as a gift.

Valiant promo comic...

nn_Cheesasaurus_Rex_535px.png

DG

Those other books are more rare, for sure. I think this was the first ever Valiant made book; other books to find that are quite rare are the variants of the Nintendo Hardcovers.

Also, the 4 TPB books are pretty tough to find, and good buys anywhere south of $20: "Mario Special Powers", "Koopa Kids", "Battle against Bowser" and "Tantaga Invades Earth".

If you can find them in high grade, jump on them, they basically don't exist!

I think I can safely say that Cheesasarus is NOT one of the first books. These would have been made towards the end of Shooter's reign if I'm not mistaken.

This 4 page (?) flyer is one of the first things they produced. It was sent out with Previews to the retailers... or so I'm told. Many were thrown away along with the other ads that get sent out.

nn_Nintendo_Comics_System_Sneak_Pre.png

This would have been their first comic...

001_Super_Mario_Bros_special_editio.png

The Nintendo Action Books are something I never owned. I've only seen one in person and the condition was pathetic. It had been owned by a small child evidently.

I do own the wrestling books in the same format. I had offered to scan comics for Joe Petrilak in the late 90's but I think I offended him by sending scans of the wrestling comics and Nintendo hardbacks first.

ISBN_0_0307_21841_4_WWF_Ultimate_Wa.png

ISBN_0_0307_21842_2_WWF_Lifestyle_o.png

ISBN_0_0307_21843_0_WWF_Out_of_the_.png

ISBN_0_0307_21844_9_WWF_Wait_til_I_.png

This promo rarity was also a gift...

nn_Kenny_Kid_and_Hop_Hop.png

This comic is quite common, but how many people have Bob Layton's first comic art for Valiant signed by him? Bob told me "he drew it in the lawyers office".

001signed_Captain_N.jpg

I have the Mallard Press Hardcovers which seem to be common.

HC_BOT_SMB_600px_zps61c01b0f.png

HC_BOTNCS_600px_zpsb71e2c3e.png

DG

I looked for this around the time it should have come out and had no luck. Years later it was given to me as a gift.

Valiant promo comic...

DG

Those other books are more rare, for sure. I think this was the first ever Valiant made book; other books to find that are quite rare are the variants of the Nintendo Hardcovers.

Also, the 4 TPB books are pretty tough to find, and good buys anywhere south of $20: "Mario Special Powers", "Koopa Kids", "Battle against Bowser" and "Tantaga Invades Earth".

I strongly disagree with the 4 books listed above being rare overall. There are tons and tons or warehouse overstock of the "Valiant Illustrated Action Books" out there. The 4 Nintendo ones are named above, there are also WWF ones. The have appeared by the palette-load at stores like "Odd Lot" and "Building 19" here in the northeast. They are on eBay all the time. I've found that one of the 4 appears less than the other three Nintendo ones.

Now, many do have price stickers and have been stored improperly, so finding 9.8s can be really tough despite them being plentiful. I agree on that point. I have yet to get 9.8s on most of them and have settled for 9.6s and 9.4s.

Also, we use VIAB instead of TPB to talk about these books. This allows us to distinguish them from the "real" Nintendo softcover TPBs by Valiant.

On the subject of those early promotional Valiant pamphlets, they can be hard to come by. Nearly all of the supply we have was limited to a single seller who had cleaned out the Valiant offices when they closed. The KFC one in both Spanish and English falls into this category as well.

Valiant promo comic...

DG

I strongly disagree with the 4 books listed above being rare overall. There are tons and tons or warehouse overstock of the "Valiant Illustrated Action Books" out there. The 4 Nintendo ones are named above, there are also WWF ones. The have appeared by the palette-load at stores like "Odd Lot" and "Building 19" here in the northeast. They are on eBay all the time. I've found that one of the 4 appears less than the other three Nintendo ones.

Now, many do have price stickers and have been stored improperly, so finding 9.8s can be really tough despite them being plentiful. I agree on that point. I have yet to get 9.8s on most of them and have settled for 9.6s and 9.4s.

Also, we use VIAB instead of TPB to talk about these books. This allows us to distinguish them from the "real" Nintendo softcover TPBs by Valiant.

On the subject of those early promotional Valiant pamphlets, they can be hard to come by. Nearly all of the supply we have was limited to a single seller who had cleaned out the Valiant offices when they closed. The KFC one in both Spanish and English falls into this category as well.

I'm inclined to agree emphatically that they are NOT rare by any means. Hard to find in many areas... YES. Obviously, if one person had pallets of them, that's a stockpile that isn't available in the market anywhere else. I was trying to complete my Nintendo collection when everyone else was driving up the prices of the superhero stuff in the 90's. Most of the $1.50 reprints just weren't available in my area locally. I eventually gave up. My hardcover Nintendo books came from a toy store. I believe it was KB Toys. They were already on clearance when I discovered they existed in 1992 or so. My WWF Action series books came from one comic shop that simply ordered everything.

I've often wondered how rare the H.A.R.D. Corps promo posters are. I know I have both the blue and black border versions. I would assume blue is more rare.

DG

I know it's been mentioned before, but one day I would love to find a Hulk 377 3rd print in the wild. I've actually never seen one in person.

Done! Found one today in the wild... :whee:

Hulk377_3rd.jpg

I know it's been mentioned before, but one day I would love to find a Hulk 377 3rd print in the wild. I've actually never seen one in person.

Hulk377_3rd.jpg

WTF!!!! (worship) Looks to be in nice shape. Was that a $1 bin find?? Please say it wasn't or I might go crazy.

Hulk377_3rd.jpg

WTF!!!! (worship) Looks to be in nice shape. Was that a $1 bin find?? Please say it wasn't or I might go crazy.

You're safe... it was more than $1.

The front cover has an indention line on the far right... looks like when a tall stack of books sat on it with about 1/4 inch sticking out.

Some spine nicks, more back than front.

I'd say "as is" it's in the 9.0/9.2 range... would benefit from pressing before slabbing.

sigh...attitude....

heya Diggy!

Jimmers! :hi:

ah,finally some love!What's cooking?

Tacos!!! :whee:

Me also!

Carne or pollo?

Both. :)

Yummy.I likes t mix a bit of pork with the beef.

To get back on track...

I found a run of the Game boy comics today for six a piece,remembered you folks talking about Nintendo

comics this week.are these worthy at two bus under guide?

HAPPY FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!

MEGAMAN!

Hulk377_3rd.jpg

You're safe... it was more than $1.

The front cover has an indention line on the far right... looks like when a tall stack of books sat on it with about 1/4 inch sticking out.

Some spine nicks, more back than front.

I'd say "as is" it's in the 9.0/9.2 range... would benefit from pressing before slabbing.

Did any of us ever figure out what or how this book came out?

Some of the hardest to find early 90s books.....

21 different Spidermans. Im still searching the others that are missing and hope to complete this foreign and variant set by the years end. The most difficult and rare are the Turkish Editions. The numbered Turkish were free giveaways in the local Turkish newspaper printing and contained 8 pages each. Im still missing 9 other Spiderman versions and just snagged a Polish version but it will take a month or so with shipping.

I present you my 21 Spiderman #1s....

Top Row Left to Right

1 O Homem Arahnha 1 (Brazil)

2 Mega Marvel 3 (Sweden)

3 Hämähäkkimies 4 (Finland)

4 ASM 1 (Japan)

5 Spiderman 1 Mamouth (Greek)

6 Complete Spiderman 1 (UK)

7 Omnibus Spiderman 1 (Dutch)

Middle Row Left to Right

8 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #N(Turkey)

9 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #1(Turkey)

10 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #2(Turkey)

11 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #3(Turkey)

12 Star Magazine 8 (Italy)

13 Spiderman Semic 1 (France)

14 Spiderman 1 Forum R15 (Spain)

Bottom Row Left to Right

15 Spiderman 1 (US) Color Bagged

16 Spiderman 1 (US) Color Direct

17 Spiderman Torment (Italy)

18 Hombre Arana 500 (Mexico)

19 Spiderman 1 (US) Gold Direct

20 Spiderman 1 (US) Silver Bagged

21 Spiderman 1 (US) Silver Direct

C360_2013-05-05-16-54-38_org_zpsc08b107a.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-05_org_zps447d61e8.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-21_zps1824b83c.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-55_zps8648bbc1.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-56-08_org_zps67f2c5d6.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-56-23_org_zpse0cb27d9.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-59-42-11_zpsaf05d4a5.jpg

I applaud your obsession and I hope I never get one like that.

You think that is bad, you should see my Amazing Spiderman 129 obsession...

or my Batman 423 obsession...or my Superman 233 obsession...

+1

DG

I have set out to do what has never been done. Buying American books at any price is as easy as clicking the buy it now button

I am proud to say I have shown Neal Adams books to sign he drew that he has never seen.

+1

DG

I have set out to do what has never been done. Buying American books at any price is as easy as clicking the buy it now button

I am proud to say I have shown Neal Adams books to sign he drew that he has never seen.

Don't get me wrong. I've always liked foreign comics. It's McFarlane and that Spider-man #1 cover that I can't stand. Not wild about Punisher either.

DG

+1

DG

Don't get me wrong. I've always liked foreign comics. It's McFarlane and that Spider-man #1 cover that I can't stand. Not wild about Punisher either.

DG

I probably have foreign keys of the books you like. Haters will hate on McFarlane its all good.