• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Modern Batman Thread

842 posts in this topic

Not too sure to be honest seeing as I've only just jumped back on board. Low print run maybe? Tough book in high grade? I'll have to have a further look into it as it would be good to know.

th_Batman4.jpg

Hey,

I was wondering why batman #4 is sought after?

The way that I understand it is that it was a bit of low print run (relative) and damaged shipments. I guess stores cut back their orders on many of the New 52 to what they felt were more realistic numbers. In doing so they misjudged the popularity of this book and Nightwing, and maybe a few others.

I know Nightwing #4 had some problems with many of them being damaged or not high grade as well.

If you mix those two factors you get a pretty desirable book. Just my two cents, but that is how I understand the popularity of this book and Nightwing #4

Just started some reading (got hold of the relevant Nightwing, Batgirl, Tec etc issues through Comixology) to catch up with Court of Owls. I'm impressed so far, Snyder's writing is superb and the story just flows naturally and the history involved is so rich it's like watching a movie. Capullo's artwork is quality as usual too, very easy on the eye and his cityscapes are absolutely lush. I'm glad I decided to start with this New 52.

The Nightwing story that runs alongside and interweaves is pretty decent too, not as good as Dixon's run on the title a nearly twenty years ago, but still good enough to keep me wanting more.

I think Snyder/Capullo could easily go down as one of my favourite Batman creative teams if they keep this standard up. Here's to hoping they stay on the title for a long while to come.

Just been doing some more catching up on The Court Of Owls and the one Bat title I thought I'd like the least (Red Hood and the Outlaws) actually looks quite decent. Love the art in it.

went and picked up the last 4 issues of batman, unfortunately batman #13 was the 2nd print (if i had known that, i wouldn't have bought it). hopefully detective comics #14 isn't sold out, as the shop i went to didn't have it, and the shop owner told it was coming out next week (but then i see it came out last week).

Is anybody reading Batman Inc? And if so is it as bad as Vol I was?

I'm still reading, I've stayed with Morrison's run since the start but this last chapter is a little inconsistent and repetitive. Burnham has been killing it on art though, which is probably the only reason I'm still going.

I am, and I think it's great. If you didn't like volume 1, you're not going to like this one though.

At some point in the next couple of issues they're hopping forward to take another look at the adult Damian that appears in Batman #666 and #700, which'll be cool.

I am, and I think it's great. If you didn't like volume 1, you're not going to like this one though.

At some point in the next couple of issues they're hopping forward to take another look at the adult Damian that appears in Batman #666 and #700, which'll be cool.

Yeah, I couldn't stand the first series. All I could think of was that it would be well suited to the Adam West TV series. I gave most of them away I thought it was that bad. It seemed a polar opposite of the other titles, and that octopus or whatever it was showing up inside a tower block was the tipping point. Horrible title.

I'm not overly mad on SS, but I do really like those two books. I'd see both of them as keepers for certain. And you're right about Capullo and Snyder, their work on Batman so far has been fantastic, long may it continue!

ok, i read #14 today.

i liked it, but wasnt "ohhhhhh ohhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" about it as so many others seem to be.

before Snyders Batman, i never read batman (other then Year One and DKR)

im guessing that's why although i like the book (Court of Owls was great) im not all gaga over the joker thing.

also, why the heck are there like three different Robins?

i was under the impression that one didnt need to know all about the history of Batman to read this book. did i hear wrong?

you don't need to know the history. There's three Robins. Four if you count Jason Todd (Red Hood). Nightwing is Grayson (first Robin) and he grew up. Red Robin is Tim Drake. Damien Wayne is the newest Robin. He's Bruce Wayne's son with Talia Al Ghul. For the quick and dirty on all of them follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_(comics)

Yeah, you don't really have to know the history of the Bat mythos to read on from the New 52, although I can see why the Robin situation can be a bit confusing.

As Nico said above:

Dick Grayson was the original Robin. He became Nightwing and joined the Teen Titans and is now solo. He also stood in as Batman after the RIP storyline until Bruce returned.

Jason Todd replaced Grayson as Robin, but he was killed by the Joker in Death In The Family. He returned a few years ago as Red Hood, apparently he was put into a Lazarus Pit but I'd need confirmation on that.

Tim Drake became the next Robin, he then moved on to be Red Robin after the arrival of Damian Wayne who decided he would be the next Robin as he was Bruce Wayne's son.

Unless you feel the need to read certain back stories to to get the minute details, you can pretty much read on knowing just that basic amount of information.