• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Modern Batman Thread

842 posts in this topic

So I cut all the Marvel (except Fantastic Four and X-Factor) from my pull file and have started reading Batman & Tec for the first time on a monthly basis. Why oh why did I wait so f'n long to do this? This story has been excellent so far and a Joker story for my first dip in the Batpool? That's sweetness.

One question though, main reason I cut most of the Marvel was the cross-over/event . I was sick of it. If I just read Batman & Tec and don't even glance at any of the crossover titles for DotF will I be okay or missing out on important story? The CDO (That's OCD in alphabetical order, as it should be!) I have at times with buying comics makes my hands twitch when I see a crossover title but I'm really trying hard to cut that habit. Every time I want to buy a crossover title I just have a smoke instead.

While sad that I seem to have misplaced (for now) an $8 comic I sold on ebay (it will turn up after I spend another 2 hours hunting for it), while looking for it I was psyched to see that I had apparently picked up Detective 880 (and 879) out of the overstock box at one of my shops and had the presence of mind to bag and board them right away whenever I did!

Jason Todd replaced Grayson as Robin, but he was killed by the Joker in Death In The Family. He returned a few years ago as Red Hood, apparently he was put into a Lazarus Pit but I'd need confirmation on that.

-----------

So wait a sec... what was the big deal about him getting knocked off then? He had only been around like 5 or 6 years in the DC Universe at that point.

Jason Todd replaced Grayson as Robin, but he was killed by the Joker in Death In The Family. He returned a few years ago as Red Hood, apparently he was put into a Lazarus Pit but I'd need confirmation on that.

-----------

So wait a sec... what was the big deal about him getting knocked off then? He had only been around like 5 or 6 years in the DC Universe at that point.

Readers didnt like him. Felt like a ripoff of Grayson at first. Then they changed his origin after Crisis. They had a phone a thon to decide to either keep or kill him. Due to a rigged system by one voter, he was voted to die by a slim margin (57 or so votes) and they wacked him.

The Death in the Family series has been amazing!

I think Ed Benes does the best job in drawing the Joker.

But since I haven't been keeping up, did they actually show Joker cut his face off in an issue?

DC new 52 Detective comics 1. Joker has someone do it for him.

Suicide Squad 6, 7 and 8 is where Harley Quinn finds out that the police have the face in the evidence room and she breaks in to get it back.

So I cut all the Marvel (except Fantastic Four and X-Factor) from my pull file and have started reading Batman & Tec for the first time on a monthly basis. Why oh why did I wait so f'n long to do this? This story has been excellent so far and a Joker story for my first dip in the Batpool? That's sweetness.

One question though, main reason I cut most of the Marvel was the cross-over/event . I was sick of it. If I just read Batman & Tec and don't even glance at any of the crossover titles for DotF will I be okay or missing out on important story? The CDO (That's OCD in alphabetical order, as it should be!) I have at times with buying comics makes my hands twitch when I see a crossover title but I'm really trying hard to cut that habit. Every time I want to buy a crossover title I just have a smoke instead.

I wish I could cut a few more Marvel books like you have, but it is soo tough! Thankfully Marvel Now is giving me a chance to second guess all new purchases.

Perhaps I should only buy the big crossovers?

As previously answered, you can read the Batman books as standalone stories (and very good they are too when read like that), but if you read Court of Owls I'd highly recommend reading Nightwing #1 - #9, it's easily the best tie-in I've read and it compliments the main story superbly.

As previously answered, you can read the Batman books as standalone stories (and very good they are too when read like that), but if you read Court of Owls I'd highly recommend reading Nightwing #1 - #9, it's easily the best tie-in I've read and it compliments the main story superbly.

+1 to that. Read 8-9 and I thought this series is actually decent. Currently hunting for the rest of Nightwing.

It does look like this is a tough book to find in high grade at the moment. I wonder how many will come rolling out of CGC over the next few months though as they work through the backlog.

This is a book I thought I was bloody lucky to get, given the time it came up for sale coinciding with the time I came back to the boards. I love David Finch's artwork and this is probably up there with Batman #686 as my favourite Modern cover. I know I'm not a massive SS fan, but I just had to have this one.

Batman700SS.jpg

man, i wish i hadn't had to sell off my batman run (though i did get great money for it). i just picked up #2, 9-12, and 14 the other day. all first prints. plus i have #13 2nd print and the annual. slowly working on completing the run again.

I'm in two minds whether to go completist and pick up all of the printings. I think I'm going to aim for all of the sketch variants too.

I only need #1 - #6 of 'Tec too to fill in the run now. I want to get those as soon as possible now as I really want to read them.