• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USA Comics, Which Cover Is Your Favorite?

96 posts in this topic

usa1_CGC_front.jpg

All USA covers are cool. If I had to pick one though, my personal favorite would be the first issue and it's worth a thread bump to discuss this book. The cover of USA #1 isn't especially action filled or even the best rendered Kirby work of the period. In fact, it's rather sketchy, like a piece he dashed off hurriedly to meet a deadline, even the hand drawn lettering looks rushed. But what kicks this cover into first gear are artistic flourishes such as the jagged garishness of the nazi-witch and her cat's arched back, and the stoic determination of The Defender that underscores the simple intensity of the scene. USA #1 stands out from busier, over-the-top action filled Timely covers; maybe that's part of it's appeal.

:cloud9:

usa1_CGC_front.jpg

All USA covers are cool. If I had to pick one though, my personal favorite would be the first issue and it's worth a thread bump to discuss this book. The cover of USA #1 isn't especially action filled or even the best rendered Kirby work of the period. In fact, it's rather sketchy, like a piece he dashed off hurriedly to meet a deadline, even the hand drawn lettering looks rushed. But what kicks this cover into first gear are artistic flourishes such as the jagged garishness of the nazi-witch and her cat's arched back, and the stoic determination of The Defender that underscores the simple intensity of the scene. USA #1 stands out from busier, over-the-top action filled Timely covers; maybe that's part of it's appeal.

I have a feeling the cover to USA #1 was a panel that was blown up to make a cover.

usa1_CGC_front.jpg

I have a feeling the cover to USA #1 was a panel that was blown up to make a cover.

Intriguing idea, but Jack Kirby didn't do The Defender interior art (except for an introductory splash page that has nothing in common with the cover). Also, I'd imagine that enlarging panel art photographically in 1941 would be more expensive than simply giving the artist an assignment to whip one out quickly.

I'm not sure what the explanation is for the apparent sketchiness, but it's a very powerful cover regardless. Does anyone know if Kirby was ever asked about the cover of USA #1 in an interview? hm

usa1_CGC_front.jpg

Intriguing idea, but Jack Kirby didn't do The Defender interior art (except for an introductory splash page that has nothing in common with the cover). Also, I'd imagine that enlarging panel art photographically in 1941 would be more expensive than simply giving the artist an assignment to whip one out quickly.

I'm not sure what the explanation is for the apparent sketchiness, but it's a very powerful cover regardless. Does anyone know if Kirby was ever asked about the cover of USA #1 in an interview? hm

Maybe this was the original splash page & they used it as the cover instead, I'm not sure, but I do know that this is not a typical Timely cover.

usa1_CGC_front.jpg

Maybe this was the original splash page & they used it as the cover instead, I'm not sure, but I do know that this is not a typical Timely cover.

Actually, it doesn't look like a splash at all. This is obviously a scene conceived from the middle of a story, and one which does not appear in the book.

Kirby's last couple of GA Captain America covers (esp. #10) have a sketchy quality as well, but that was around the time S&K parted company with Timely over editorial control of Cap, so other issues may have contributed to the rushed look of those books.

The USA cover is still a mystery. (shrug)

I like #7 by a landslide. Here's my copy...

Cover recreation by fellow funny book and art nerd Ryan Heshka.

wow! Looks better than the real comic with all due respect to schomburg...ryans work gets better and better! Congrats AGGIEZ :applause: