• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

New Force, Bob Storms, Al Stolz, JHV, All Select Comics. Thats my entire list. I buy most everything from the boards though, so I guess it doesnt count. And Flaming Telepath can be added since he now has a storefront.

And I didnt add proactive disclosure as part of my fac toring. Which would make my list 1.

Haven't read to the end of this thread, but if you added proactive disclosure, who would the 1 dealer be?

Without hesitation Richard Munchin of Tomorrows Treasures :whee:

Firstly, Richie doesn't disclose anything like the entirity of the 'work' undertaken on a book. Secondly, he forgets to disclose anything on certain books. Thirdly, for the uninitiated/ill-informed, his 'no restoration' statements are unethical and dishonest. Just because Richie likes to call tear seals 'conservation' doesn't mean that he can then say 'no restoration'...as the whole industry would disagree. doh!

While I've mostly only caught him in his "Happy Richie" moods, he is not a guy I would recomend dealing with if you are a newb. He can be a very nice guy, and is certainly extremely knowledgeable, but caveat emptor should definitely be in full effect when dealing with him.

You should have been at the NYCC 3 years ago when he told a guy to "get the F away from his table" it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

For what its worth, as I am still primarily a GA collector, I would unquestionably recommend the following people for if you were looking into buying GA.

Rick Whitlock (New Force Comics)

Richie Evans (Bedrock City Comics)

Mike Miles (All Select Comics)

and if Roy cuts his hair, he might make the list too one day. I'm thinking a Sinead O' Conner look would be in order.

New Force, Bob Storms, Al Stolz, JHV, All Select Comics. Thats my entire list. I buy most everything from the boards though, so I guess it doesnt count. And Flaming Telepath can be added since he now has a storefront.

And I didnt add proactive disclosure as part of my fac toring. Which would make my list 1.

Haven't read to the end of this thread, but if you added proactive disclosure, who would the 1 dealer be?

Without hesitation Richard Munchin of Tomorrows Treasures :whee:

Firstly, Richie doesn't disclose anything like the entirity of the 'work' undertaken on a book. Secondly, he forgets to disclose anything on certain books. Thirdly, for the uninitiated/ill-informed, his 'no restoration' statements are unethical and dishonest. Just because Richie likes to call tear seals 'conservation' doesn't mean that he can then say 'no restoration'...as the whole industry would disagree. doh!

While I've mostly only caught him in his "Happy Richie" moods, he is not a guy I would recomend dealing with if you are a newb. He can be a very nice guy, and is certainly extremely knowledgeable, but caveat emptor should definitely be in full effect when dealing with him.

The problem is, most people don't know that going in. It's not like he wears a sign....

Though that gives me an idea....

and if Roy cuts his hair, he might make the list too one day. I'm thinking a Sinead O' Conner look would be in order.

:eyeroll:

Roy, when's the last time you had your hair less than shoulder length? I think you would look pretty good with slicked back short hair....I mean that in a purely flaming hetero way. :shy:

:eyeroll:

Roy, when's the last time you had your hair less than shoulder length? I think you would look pretty good with slicked back short hair....I mean that in a purely flaming hetero way. :shy:

(tsk)

I heard that Jay Maybrook of Sparkle City Comics is honest and forthright

:flamed:

Wasn't Joe V. at one time a partner in Sparkle City? He was quote as such in this article.

Yep, it was Joe and Jay. Bought a Batman #3 from them a million years ago when the SD con was in the old convention center.

This is a great thread. I think having these discussions, as long as they remain civil and don't turn into mud slinging can be highly benificial and make us all more knowledgable collectors. Walking through life with a myopic view doesn't help anyone.

Brian, I have to wonder about your motivation for starting this thread. Not in terms of malevolence, but with your sales thread purging your collection, now your ingenuous on some dealers' practice. Is the writing on the wall ?.....Are you coming into the twilight of your (collecting) career ? Inquiring minds want to know :gossip:

There are quite a few dealers on here that I don't know at all, or know very little. I agree with some of the verdicts here, Bob Storms I would trust till Armagedon. Dale Roberts, Greg Reece and Doug Suplia I hear nothing but praise about....even though I have bought little or nothing at all.

I find Ted to be the most demonstrative of any dealer, but I have to agree with a couple of things pointed out. I would buy/sell to Ted anytime and he's helped me out on a few books that I would have never been able to secure...He'd take any book back with no hassle and I have 99% trust in him....But I know restro can be a possiblity. Whether he knows or not, it's possible.

I am interested in why people are omitting certian dealers. I noticed Jerry Weist, Mark Wilson, Four Color Comics and Motor City Comics and Mark Zaid are missing.

Vinnie (Metro) can't be singled out. He might be the poster child, his mug might be plastered on tv. (media hog), but he's mearly a part of the 800lb gorilla. It's not just one person, they are a company and thus included as such. I have no axe to grind nor do I buy/sell to Metro, I am mearly pointing it out.

Another thing that needs to be addressed is the bigger picture. While as a human being, we all like to think the best of people. We never like to question another's veracity, but the cold hard truth is, whenever there is money (and there can be ALOT of it ) changing hands for goods, there is always going to be dishonesty, lack of disclosure and at times, downright theft. I read a terrific book that was discussed in another thread called "The Card" about the Gretzky Honus Wagner T206. It was all about the dealings, lying, pressing, trimming, the deceit, greed and manipulation of facts/figures/history of the world's most famous baseball card. They talked about everything that can relate to comic collectors....in fact, all types of collectors.....Anything that has value is going to have it's holligans...for lack of better term.

I'm in agreement with a lot of the comments here. Although I haven't purchased much, even browsing at conventions can give you a sense of character. For example, I've never purchased from Harley, but he recognizes me, invites me behind his booth and is great to speak with. Although I can't get behind the Motor City booth, anything I want to see, gets pulled immediately and no selling pressure.

As for board members, I wish I could only buy from people here. (But, sometimes the auctions have what I just have to have.) Filter81 and I recently exchanged some emails about something I was interested in, he answered every question I had and politely congratulated me when I purchased something else instead (without throwing up a little bit in his mouth).

Wasn't Joe V. at one time a partner in Sparkle City? He was quote as such in this article.

Yes, he was a partner. Brought books from them back in 89, nothing since.

Yep, it was Joe and Jay. Bought a Batman #3 from them a million years ago when the SD con was in the old convention center.

Joe was a partner and a young Stephen Fishler was an apprentice before starting Metropolis.

Joe gets my vote as the kindest, most honest person in this entire hobby to deal with.