• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship THIS week.

591 posts in this topic

>> How about FF 587?<<

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/fantastic-four-587-no-overprint-101203.html

Right now I'm going to order 3x regular FF number. That can change in the next few weeks, if customers start chirping. My customers are very jaded with superhero "death"

however. If its a media story, newbies are not as jaded. THAT is wildcard. Will mainstream media care?

many people will buy 2 because of the polybag.

Hype will sell some.

Mid january Marvel sets the print run for shops ( final order cutoff )

there is minimal buzz now, but That may change

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

http://larryscomics.net

http://facebook.com/larryscomics

http://twitter.com/larryscomics

why is that one going to be hot ?

larry linked the article from ain't it cool news w/ rumor that DKR will be based on the Prey mini-series.

did the last couple of batman movies have any impact on the year 1, 2, etc. stuff?

>>did the last couple of batman movies have any impact on the year 1, 2, etc. stuff?<<

The first Batman movie sparked "Jokermania" EVERY Joker bomic became a key.

Source material rumors usually create interest in often cheap back issues. If I recall a short lived hit from the last flic was:

300px-Batman_Gotham_Noir.jpg

rumored that the scared joker visuals came from This comic. it was in demand for a couple months, then petered.

I'll take my chances with a few key Hugo Strange comics on the cheap now.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

>>So...how's the speculating thing goin...?<<

Forgot about you Rock, Where you been?

In foreign lands.

You Sir are the 4th on my prestigious

block list.

Your ignore function seems to not be working.... hm

To answer one final question from you, it's going great. It's going to be a fun week. Wait n $ee.

By the way...you still owe me for those Invincible #1s that you shipped loose in a large box that got banged up...and also for the difference between the Priority rate I bought and paid for (and which was advertised) and the Media Mail rate at which the box was shipped (which, of course, is fraud and theft.). An apology for being beyond rude on the phone when I called about it would be nice, too.

(thumbs u

>>I've seen Larry say that he will be able to sell certain books at $4-$5 for a long time. It was asked what kind of prices Larry uses as his basis for speculation, and I just relayed that.<<

Ok,

let me be crystal clear. When I speculate on a comic, I want to hit the ball out of the park every time. I want to pocket as much coin as humanly possible. I am arrogant & believe that I'm going to win every time. I speculate on moderns weekly & have done so for decades.

Every comic being a Morning Glories NEVER happens. Big winners are few and far between alot of .

However in my case can mean sellable, if not great comics.

I own a comic shop. ( I rarely charge above cover for moderns)

I run a comic show.

I set up at comic shows.

I have a comic website.

I wholesale to comic shops.

I sell on E-bay. ( I sell at the highest price possible)

I own a CGC grading business.

If a comic I speculate on is not a Morning Glories level hit, chances are its not a Ratchet & Clank level dog. It's still sellable to me.

If you do not have the outlets to sell like I do. Don't buy what I do.

I'm interested in hearing what others consider a "good buy" to make myself a better speculator.

And, of course, here is the problem. This is, perhaps, the first time you've ever laid out such a "disclaimer" in all your "speculating" threads.

The vast majority of the people reading this do NOT have stores, or sell at shows, or wholesale, etc etc etc. So you're, right off the bat, encouraging people to do things (despite how many times you beg off that you're not; the simple fact that you continue to post about the topic says otherwise) that will ultimately result in hardship for them, and further erode the industry.

You should have such a disclaimer in EVERY post you post.

In fact, you simply should STOP posting posts that encourage people to speculate on items that haven't even come out yet.

You will, of course, see this as an attack on you, rather than an impassioned plea to stop enabling the destruction of such a wonderful artform. But there are ears...or eyes...that are not deaf/blind out there. They are whom I wish to reach.

By the way...you still owe me for those Invincible #1s that you shipped loose in a large box that got banged up...

Oh man, you too?

I bought a 10 pack of them from him on ebay long ago. They were probably 9.8s when they went out, but the crappy packaging turned them into 9.0-9.2s. I never complained though because it rarely does any good.

larry linked the article from ain't it cool news w/ rumor that DKR will be based on the Prey mini-series.

did the last couple of batman movies have any impact on the year 1, 2, etc. stuff?

Batman: The Man Who Laughs was a $50 book after Dark Knight came out. :gossip:

By the way...you still owe me for those Invincible #1s that you shipped loose in a large box that got banged up...

Oh man, you too?

I bought a 10 pack of them from him on ebay long ago. They were probably 9.8s when they went out, but the crappy packaging turned them into 9.0-9.2s. I never complained though because it rarely does any good.

This just isn't good... :( It's such a basic premise of comic selling to protect and package them properly.

>>did the last couple of batman movies have any impact on the year 1, 2, etc. stuff?<<

The first Batman movie sparked "Jokermania" EVERY Joker bomic became a key.

Source material rumors usually create interest in often cheap back issues. If I recall a short lived hit from the last flic was:

300px-Batman_Gotham_Noir.jpg

rumored that the scared joker visuals came from This comic. it was in demand for a couple months, then petered.

I'll take my chances with a few key Hugo Strange comics on the cheap now.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

Sure, the last 2 Bats movies sparked interest in vintage-ish stuff from 30-40 years ago (1st r'as, those great joker covers/books yeah, all suddenly becoming "keys", etc.), but I'm talking about high print-run/already speculated on stuff of a more recent vintage.

See what happens when I do not click the links ? I just looked at the pretty picture :whistle:(shrug)

>>I've seen Larry say that he will be able to sell certain books at $4-$5 for a long time. It was asked what kind of prices Larry uses as his basis for speculation, and I just relayed that.<<

Ok,

let me be crystal clear. When I speculate on a comic, I want to hit the ball out of the park every time. I want to pocket as much coin as humanly possible. I am arrogant & believe that I'm going to win every time. I speculate on moderns weekly & have done so for decades.

Every comic being a Morning Glories NEVER happens. Big winners are few and far between alot of .

I run a comic show.

I set up at comic shows.

I have a comic website.

If a comic I speculate on is not a Morning Glories level hit, chances are its not a Ratchet & Clank level dog. It's still sellable to me.

I'm interested in hearing what others consider a "good buy" to make myself a better speculator.

And, of course, here is the problem. This is, perhaps, the first time you've ever laid out such a "disclaimer" in all your "speculating" threads.

The vast majority of the people reading this do NOT have stores, or sell at shows, or wholesale, etc etc etc. So you're, right off the bat, encouraging people to do things (despite how many times you beg off that you're not; the simple fact that you continue to post about the topic says otherwise) that will ultimately result in hardship for them, and further erode the industry.

In fact, you simply should STOP posting posts that encourage people to speculate on items that haven't even come out yet.

You will, of course, see this as an attack on you, rather than an impassioned plea to stop enabling the destruction of such a wonderful artform. But there are ears...or eyes...that are not deaf/blind out there. They are whom I wish to reach.

RMA, I hardly think someone buying a couple of issues they might not have otherwise is going to cause much hardship. we're mostly all grown up children here and we don't need to raid the grocery money for our comics. If people are going on this thread to buy 100 copies of everything Larry says they're going to find out quickly this isn't so bright and anyway, they're getting what they deserve. personally, i don't mind the analysis and the thread has gotten me to look at some things I might have otherwise ignored. i really don't think whatever trivial levels of speculation are going on nowadays for new books are going to kill the hobby, if anything they may make it a little interesting if a few books now and then go up as 99.9% of what comes out will go down rather quickly.

damn it larry you are single-handedly destroying the comic industry cut it out!! (tsk)

:roflmao:really people who can't afford to loose a few bucks shouldn't be buying comics to start with! shouldn't be paying for the internet to come onto the cgc forms to read larrys evil thread & most certainly should not be paying for the electricity it costs to use the pc to start with!

Really, people who can't spell as simple a word as "lose", or follow even basic rules of grammar, syntax, and punctuation shouldn't be communicating in a written format.

;)

I'm guessing synch wasn't around the industry in the mid-90's.

(thumbs u

Ok,

I run a comic show.

I set up at comic shows.

I have a comic website.

RMA, I hardly think someone buying a couple of issues they might not have otherwise is going to cause much hardship. we're mostly all grown up children here and we don't need to raid the grocery money for our comics. If people are going on this thread to buy 100 copies of everything Larry says they're going to find out quickly this isn't so bright and anyway, they're getting what they deserve. personally, i don't mind the analysis and the thread has gotten me to look at some things I might have otherwise ignored. i really don't think whatever trivial levels of speculation are going on nowadays for new books are going to kill the hobby, if anything they may make it a little interesting if a few books now and then go up as 99.9% of what comes out will go down rather quickly.

Yes, that's what thousands and thousands and thousands of speculators, and the crack-pushing dealers who sold to them, said in the early 90's.

And look how well that turned out......

meh

Quote:RMA:"Yes, that's what thousands and thousands and thousands of speculators, and the crack-pushing dealers who sold to them, said in the early 90's.

And look how well that turned out......"

Exactly. And that was at a time when individual issues of comics sold in the hundreds of thousands. Think of how many people were turned off by the business of comics and never came back.

At a time when individual issues of comics are now selling in the TENS of thousands, this industry can hardly afford to have another mass exodus of consumers. It would kill this art form.

It may not seem like a big deal, but ultimately the guy who bought a SkullKickers #1 for $20, is going to feel like a chump when it ends up as a quarter book.

He's either going to find a new hobby (which doesn't help) or he's going to turn into the kind of guy who wants to make a few bucks off a 15 minute hot book every Wednesday (which doesn't help).

Bottom line is everything made becomes disposable and worthless, less people READ, less real talent even want to create comics... It's an ugly. It's bad. I'm sure no one here cares.

Ok,

I run a comic show.

I set up at comic shows.

I have a comic website.

Yes, that's what thousands and thousands and thousands of speculators, and the crack-pushing dealers who sold to them, said in the early 90's.

And look how well that turned out......

meh

yet circulation seems to be going down a little every month, so it doesn't seem to be driving purchasing patterns. the difference is nowadays (as opposed to 1992) if you buy 20 books in a given month there is a 95% chance that all of them will sell at less than cover price or your purchase price as back issues a month or three later, and that includes the hottest/most popular titles that actually have some back issue interest for some portion of their run (WD, etc.). in 1992 you could be deluded into thinking this was a great way to make money because spawn 1 was a $10-$15 book and 2 - 9 were selling for over cover, etc., nowadays you have to be incredibly lucky to make any money trying to speculate. it gets people out of the speculating game pretty quick!

It may not seem like a big deal, but ultimately the guy who bought a SkullKickers #1 for $20, is going to feel like a chump when it ends up as a quarter book.

He's either going to find a new hobby (which doesn't help) or he's going to turn into the kind of guy who wants to make a few bucks off a 15 minute hot book every Wednesday (which doesn't help).

Bottom line is everything made becomes disposable and worthless, less people READ, less real talent even want to create comics... It's an ugly. It's bad. I'm sure no one here cares.

-----------------

if the skullkickers folks actually create a good series (rather than just neat covers), like the WD and Chew folks have done, there's no reason it can't continue to be a $20 book though. maybe more. like chew, WD, etc. there are not many of them out there, unlike your "hot" books of 1992 or 1993.

heck, i later felt like a chump paying $5 for a G/VG copy of x-men 122 when i was 10 years old and that was the only copy of any of the then incredibly hot Byrne x-men that shop had left (and he clearly picked a number out of thin air for a sucker kid), but here i am nearly 30 years later!

but i agree, i hate how everything is over and done in this hobby in a blink of the eye. it used to take a year or two for stuff to fizzle (or even, let's say, 6 months for valiant in 1993/1994 and back then that felt like "overnight"), now it can be a week due to ebay/the internet. it's not so much speculators, it's just that everyone can be one due to the internet. you don't need a few dealers who overordered and speculated on some book by 10,000 copies each anymore to kill it as a back issue, you just need 500 people who want to sell their copy at once on ebay.