• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship THIS week.

591 posts in this topic

There must be some history here with a few boardies. Why else would they come in here and insult a guy who as far as I can see has done nothing other then to suggest some books that might become hot. I dont agree with a few of his choice and have discussed it, but havent felt the need to insult him.

Obviously you missed the original thread where Larry abused all & sundry for having any sort of opinion that differed from his.

His insults got a little (well put it this way, the mods deleted the entire thread after deleting Larrys posts)

I saw that thread it was a disaster from start to finish. Both sides were guilty there. I just dont feel the need to insult the guy regularly like some of you do. I mean really the guy posts something and a couple of you come in and insult him. Go back in thread and read them. I dont know the guy from Adam, but I have been reading this thread regularly so he suggestions dont work big deal it happens. Is there a need to insult the dude because of it? I dont mean to take his side, but come on some of you are ridiculous in the comments you make toward the guy.

Check this thread out, I left it alone completely until Larry started insulting posters with differing opinions than his.

1 poster who agreed with him but Larry couldn't work that out &

2 a new board member (way to go Larry) who (suprise, suprise) had a different opinion than him.

In the original thread, I went OTT as he pushed me beyond my limits, I apoligised and he went at me again.

Scum is a polite name for him

I agree. If there's any new Marvel character to come out of the past 5-10 years I would think that the Hood has probably the best chance of "making" it. What other ones can you think of that were supposed to be the next big thing? Amadeus Cho, The Sentry, Arana (Spider-Woman), Echo, Lady Bullseye. There's not a lot of new characters making it through. He'll either be around for a while after this "Infinity" story line.... or they'll kill him off. Either way, picking these up out the $1 bins seems like a safe investment to me.

What you think about sons/daughters of heros/villians (like Dakan, Skaar ect.) ?

Seems like only Bendis is pushing for the Hood, really with out him in the avengers books he'd be a unknown.

My advice is to dump as much Marvel modern as you can. They are getting ready to have a traumatic year.

>>There must be some history here with a few boardies<<

Not really, just a couple jealous guys. Never met them.

I never claimed to be writing about what you should buy. I am writing about what "I" buy and why. I would love to hear about what "you" buy and why as well. I won't nit pic, but take it with a grain of salt and try to learn from it.

I have made a speculation on modern comics each week for 22 years. Lost a few, won more than a few. Coming out on top regularly, & making money. I also love doing it. One correct spec can make your year. ( Morning Glories )

As whole in today's market speculating on modern comics is a minority nitche.

In my first thread (locked ) I wrote how much I like Daken. Great buy and spec.

I love Skarr as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skaar

How do you go wrong with World War hulk #5

it's currently $1-$4 great potential. Theese are the types of books I like to buy now. Minor characters wth potential.

I'm buying hood #1's btw $7 ea lmk

world-war-hulk-5.jpg

The ignore function is to die for, so far on my list : pirate, songsaboutclouds

this thread actually reads better this way.

I reccomend it to you all.

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

http://larryscomics.net

http://facebook.com/larryscomics

http://twitter.com/larryscomics

There must be some history here with a few boardies. Why else would they come in here and insult a guy who as far as I can see has done nothing other then to suggest some books that might become hot. I dont agree with a few of his choice and have discussed it, but havent felt the need to insult him.

Obviously you missed the original thread where Larry abused all & sundry for having any sort of opinion that differed from his.

His insults got a little (well put it this way, the mods deleted the entire thread after deleting Larrys posts)

I saw that thread it was a disaster from start to finish. Both sides were guilty there. I just dont feel the need to insult the guy regularly like some of you do. I mean really the guy posts something and a couple of you come in and insult him. Go back in thread and read them. I dont know the guy from Adam, but I have been reading this thread regularly so he suggestions dont work big deal it happens. Is there a need to insult the dude because of it? I dont mean to take his side, but come on some of you are ridiculous in the comments you make toward the guy.

+1

>>There must be some history here with a few boardies<<

Not really, just a couple jealous guys. Never met them.

I never claimed to be writing about what you should buy. I am writing about what "I" buy and why. I would love to hear about what "you" buy and why as well. I won't nit pic, but take it with a grain of salt and try to learn from it.

I have made a speculation on modern comics each week for 22 years. Lost a few, won more than a few. Coming out on top regularly, & making money. I also love doing it. One correct spec can make your year. ( Morning Glories )

As whole in today's market speculating on modern comics is a minority nitche.

In my first thread (locked ) I wrote how much I like Daken. Great buy and spec.

I love Skarr as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skaar

How do you go wrong with World War hulk #5

it's currently $1-$4 great potential. Theese are the types of books I like to buy now. Minor characters wth potential.

I'm buying hood #1's btw $7 ea lmk

world-war-hulk-5.jpg

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

no one is jealous of you, get over yourself

I agree. If there's any new Marvel character to come out of the past 5-10 years I would think that the Hood has probably the best chance of "making" it. What other ones can you think of that were supposed to be the next big thing? Amadeus Cho, The Sentry, Arana (Spider-Woman), Echo, Lady Bullseye. There's not a lot of new characters making it through. He'll either be around for a while after this "Infinity" story line.... or they'll kill him off. Either way, picking these up out the $1 bins seems like a safe investment to me.

What you think about sons/daughters of heros/villians (like Dakan, Skaar ect.) ?

Seems like only Bendis is pushing for the Hood, really with out him in the avengers books he'd be a unknown.

He has been pushing the Hood for what a couple of years now. It just hasnt stuck yet maybe it will I dont know. Daken is the one that has potential I think. His 1st appearance is pretty hard to find in 9.4 or higher grade due to the poor production on the book from an eye appeal perspective I dont know how CGC grades that part.

What do you mean?

He has been pushing the Hood for what a couple of years now. It just hasnt stuck yet maybe it will I dont know. Daken is the one that has potential I think. His 1st appearance is pretty hard to find in 9.4 or higher grade due to the poor production on the book from an eye appeal perspective I dont know how CGC grades that part.

What do you mean?

Maybe you can help me here Mike you have more experience in slabbing then I do. This book suffers in my opinion from poor production. The ink smears, and just other debris in production made this book look like in my opinion especially about an inch from both staples on the front cover. I have yet to find what I would call a nice cover to this book. . Not saying there arent because I know someone will come here and say I have one np. Just saying in all the copies I have seen I just dont every see a very nice copy and very rarely see a NM+ or better. Its just not a pretty white cover is what I am trying to say.

My advice is to dump as much Marvel modern as you can. They are getting ready to have a traumatic year.

I'm curious what you mean by traumatic year.

>>

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

How do you know the thread reads better this way? (recommend)

What do you mean?

Maybe you can help me here Mike you have more experience in slabbing then I do. This book suffers in my opinion from poor production. The ink smears, and just other debris in production made this book look like in my opinion especially about an inch from both staples on the front cover. I have yet to find what I would call a nice cover to this book. . Not saying there arent because I know someone will come here and say I have one np. Just saying in all the copies I have seen I just dont every see a very nice copy and very rarely see a NM+ or better. Its just not a pretty white cover is what I am trying to say.

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about - this book usually has a slightly dirty/grungy appearance down by the bottom staple (around the barcode & quesada signature), and also seem to suffer from more than its fair share of ink smearing on the spine. CGC is relatively lenient on stuff like that on an all-white cover, though - it might knock a borderline 9.8 down to a 9.6, but in 9.6 and below it doesn't really affect the grade ...

+20

Every week for 22 years, I buy extra modern comics for speculation purposes. I buy them to make extra money. It’s an area of the hobby that excites me. Modern comics affect the ebbs and flows of the entire hobby. No area of the hobby is more frowned upon. I love it.

My comic shop focuses on serving readers. This is my personal hobby.

I buy for myself. I have one of the larger volume new comics single storefront locations in New England. I run comic shows. I host signings. I set up at most large shows on the East coast. I have a CGC grading business. I have a website & sell online. I wholesale to dealers. EVERY venue to sell a comic is available to me. Read “MY” pick and take account of your own situation. Where do YOU sell? Are you a show dealer, E-bay, ect? I NEVER get the crazy prices books go for on Ebay in any other venue, so I assume that’s most folks outlet. For short term gain you simply can't beat E-bay.

I think it’s fun to see what others plan to speculate on and why. Every week (Thursday) I will post the actual final Diamond ship list as a service to the board. Post your picks. I won’t taunt YOU. I’ll post what I’m buying & why by Tuesday.

Every year a dozen or so modern comics take off and sell for crazy money mostly on the short term. Warning: Most do not.

If I make 52 weekly picks in a year. Best case 12 will sell above cover price. In a good year.

No brainer of the week: Skull Kickers #3 is already out of print & at least a short term monster. Prices of #1 bottomed out but are on the rise again. The book has been slowly building an audience. It’s a different crowd. Younger kids think it’s hilarious.

I personally bought 1,000 Vampirella #1

There have been so many versions of this book, I do not think it’s a great investment. I got offered an exclusive version of one of my favorite cover artists for my shop, I could not resist. The company produces so many covers it’s confusing & they tend to overprint. Can’t think of a Dynamite Entertainment book that was a savvy investment lately. That said I adore my shops variant & pre-sales are off the charts. J Scott Campbell is the man!

vamparella1.jpg

The Batman family of comics are smoking hot in my comic shop. Last week Batman the return was the #1 seller by far. DC kicked Marvel’s . Rare in my shop. Comic fans really dig the new status quo. I think that the rise in popularity of the new Batman group of characters is a trend.

Here is my pick of the week

Batwoman #0

Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III & W. HADEN BLACKMAN

Art by J.H. WILLIAMS III and AMY REEDER with RICHARD FRIEND

Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III

1:10 Variant cover by AMY REEDER

"I suspect that Batwoman is socialite Kate Kane. I intend to prove it beyond a shadow. I need to know if she can be trusted, what her motivations are. I'm going undercover." – Batman: Mission Log Entry 2756

Featuring a unique story composition that combines the art of Eisner Award-winner J.H. Williams III (DETECTIVE COMICS, PROMETHEA) and Amy Reeder (MADAME XANADU), this special #0 issue acts as a new introduction into the life of Batwoman! Things pick up roughly where the BATWOMAN: ELEGY HC left off, and this issue acts as a primer for the upcoming new series featuring multiple award-winning creators!

Batman

32pg.

Color

$3.99 US

16000_400x600.jpg

#1 Landmark / Key issue? (Is there something important happening?) I think that a Gay DC character getting her own ongoing title is pretty key. It‘s also the type of thin mainstream media could latch onto. ( point)

#2 Regional interest (Are there ANY factors that could cause an up tick in local sales?) Yes, my shop has is hosting a social art club Drink & Draw featuring the character on the day of release. An event focusing on a release always increases sales. ( point)

http://www.twitvid.com/MBOET

#3 Writer/writing: (Is the writing a cause to purchase, is there an existing fan base, or could one be developed?) http://www.hadenblackman.com/ (point)

#4 Press(Has there been press or "buzz", have customers been asking?) Yes ( point)

#5 Artist / Art:(Is the artwork a cause to purchase, is there an existing fanbase, or could one be developed?) Very hot! http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Art-of-Batwoman-JH-Williams-III-Brilliant-Batwoman

( point )

#6 Availibility / Exposure: (Is the publisher mainstream or indy?, any promotional efforts? Is it in stock at Diamond? Is it currently available for shops to re-order?) There is Buzz, DC has been overprinting most of the new Batbooks , in this case I thik availability exposes more to the character( point)

b]#7 Is there any ordering incentive/variant(s)? [/b] Yes, it is listed under Diamond's ‘Sneak Peeks’ and ‘Hottest Items’ sections while also garnering ‘Gem of the Month’ status WITH A buy 10 get one free incentive, ( point )

#8 Dual Collectible?(Is there an existing fan base outside of traditional comic collectors?) Yeah, OK, I‘ll point it out. The character is GAY. I have had a ton of people in the shop interested BECAUSE she is gay. There is definitely a group[/b]

( point )

[/b]

#9 Competitor Interest? Nope.

(No point )

#10 Projected Print Run? DC appears to be backing up the Batbooks with overprints. I speculate huge, 70-90,000+ http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010/2010-08.html ( No point)

#11 Is it a Number one? I think that a number Zero leading into an ongoing series is quite special. Better than a number one in this case. It will always be first in the back issue bins and sought after ( point )

Did MY shop order plenty? Yes, I know from experience how hot the Detective run was.

Is 7 of 11 criteria enough for me to part with my beloved coin by ordering more than I need for my shelf in a 90 day period? You bet. I personally love the character.

When to Sell: This one might have legs. It's an ongoing. I'm going to hold on to mine until #3 hits and see the lay of the land.

Possible Back issue gems created due to this release. OK not possible. They are all going up as $5 wall books this week.

Batwoman: 52 #11 first FULL appearance

52-WK-11-Batwoman.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwoman

Damien: 1st appearance as new Robin : Batman 655

b655ca8.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Wayne

Red Robin: Robin #177 1st DCU proper appearance

508648-robin177_super.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_versions_of_Robin

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

Reno,

DC ain't letting him do it all, they have assigned a fairly accomplished co-writer with his own fan base.

HADEN BLACKMAN has an army of Star Wars geeks that adore him.

DC ain't letting him do it all, they have assigned a fairly accomplished artist as well. The styles mesh perfectly and should allow him to keep a normal scedule.

I read the first 2 issues. really good

Larry

Detective #471

The first modern appearance of Hugo Strange

$10-60

Yes please!

300px-Detective_Comics_471.jpg

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11/22/speculator-corner-legends-of-the-dark-knight-11-15/

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

Amazing649.jpg

Phil Urich is the NEW Hobgoblin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Urich

Web #125 is a great buy right now

WebSpider-Man125.jpg

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

Amazing649.jpg

Phil Urich is the NEW Hobgoblin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Urich

Web #125 is a great buy right now

WebSpider-Man125.jpg

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

Wow - holograms!!! 1990's flashbacks!

I grabbed that 52 quite a while ago cgced :) Hopefully she becomes superhot & I can sell the things for millions latter on in life :D Most likely it will just fall into my FA collection :D Ineed to get that batman 655 on my list though :) Which red robin is that in the book ?.. Is it tim ?... Cause the only reason anyone gives a damn about the current red robin is cause its tim wayne