• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! michael scheer collection

105 posts in this topic

Eh, I can understand the occasional error / typo / etc. I spent three years as a high school English teacher and 5 years as a college English teacher (now full-time), so I guess a few mistakes here and there are less egregious to me than the numerous bastardizations I am inundated with in the papers I read on a daily basis. So, if it's pretty close to the mark, I tend not to stress on it. Shoot! I've made my fair share of typos now and then as well.

Total disregard for grammar though? Well...good luck being understood.

And I've always felt the 20% premium Heritage charges buyers HAS to weed out some potential bidders. On the other hand, there are many auction sites that charge a comparable fee OR have minimum bids to get participate in an auction (i.e. all bids start at $100 or more). Each auction house has its own rules so caveat emptor (or something like that :) )

I know this is off topic, but I am curious if you do see a lot more students who can't correctly formulate their thoughts on paper due to "slang" that has now become apart of their written language.

That's an interesting question... and I do believe that the general nature of our culture (sound byte, fast-food, instant gratification) certainly plays into the increasing number of students enrolling in developmental English courses. The ability to sustain one's attention for an extended period of time carries over into their ability to not only write extended arguments but read them as well. So, the first real issue is the lack of depth in students' writing--no doubt a result from the dislike for extended discussions, etc--something that texting completely bypasses in favor of speed. And no surprise spelling and formal sentence structure takes a beating as well.

Eh, I can understand the occasional error / typo / etc. I spent three years as a high school English teacher and 5 years as a college English teacher (now full-time), so I guess a few mistakes here and there are less egregious to me than the numerous bastardizations I am inundated with in the papers I read on a daily basis. So, if it's pretty close to the mark, I tend not to stress on it. Shoot! I've made my fair share of typos now and then as well.

Call me hard- but any paper delivered to me has to contains proper grammar, style and no typos and be understandable. It's part of the grading scale of any written assignment and I will deduct points for typos, repeated words and the inevitable: it's / its, there / they're / their, then / than, you're / your, ... errors. Fair's fair, they were warned. :sumo:

I am only their instructor so the penalty is not too harsh, they should be happy I am not their boss as I would still insist on it for non-draft deliverables.

N.B.: They can spit on my grave all they want once I'm gone.

lol Bear in mind, I'm talking about grammar on the message board. My students? Even the college students in my developmental English courses even get to "enjoy" a week-long unit on grammar and sentence structure. And while organization, development, and the thesis are weighted much more heavily, grammar most certainly counts. ;)

Is "My students?" a proper sentence?

Yes, it is. I believe it's called 'indirect self-reference' though I'm happy to concede to others who would know better. :)

And for what it's worth, I don't think anyone's knocking Steve's efforts at Heritage. I think the only point being brought up is the higher % of the take Heritage pulls in on both side of the comic.

Up until two years ago, I was responsible for recruitment into all areas of the company I worked for.

The standard of CV and covering letter was abysmal, both being littered with slang and text-speak.

Trust me, this sort of thing will be the death of civilisation.

i have highlighted in bold what i agree with entirely, however did you post the rest with a straight face or your tongue firmly planted in cheek?

i have read through some of your posts which would seem to contain the word a lot and numerous profanities.

This is not slang in your book, and therefore acceptable?

or is it a case of don't do as i do, do as i say?

Hey, Thomas! :hi:

Nice to see you back. (thumbs u

Maybe its just the mood I'm in, but the Grammar Police and the Search Function on this site - can go get a room together.

Those books are GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for posting that. Steve is doing a fantastic job at Heritage IMHO.

Steve B is THE man!!

heh was tellimg me bout a beautiful OO 9.0 FF 1 he inspected @ a collectgor's home

he said ot the owner, jsut get the thing cgc'd- then it;l be easily sellable if it comes to the time ur wife wants to sell the book ( i believe the owner was quite elderly)

Up until two years ago, I was responsible for recruitment into all areas of the company I worked for.

The standard of CV and covering letter was abysmal, both being littered with slang and text-speak.

i have highlighted in bold what i agree with entirely, however did you post the rest with a straight face or your tongue firmly planted in cheek?

i have read through some of your posts which would seem to contain the word a lot and numerous profanities.

Seriously. He didn't even try to hide his tendencies this time (shrug) . At least he didn't try to pass as a chick again

Call me hard- but any paper delivered to me has to contains proper grammar, style and no typos and be understandable. It's part of the grading scale of any written assignment and I will deduct points for typos, repeated words and the inevitable: it's / its, there / they're / their, then / than, you're / your, ... errors. Fair's fair, they were warned. :sumo:

I am only their instructor so the penalty is not too harsh, they should be happy I am not their boss as I would still insist on it for non-draft deliverables.

lol Bear in mind, I'm talking about grammar on the message board. My students? Even the college students in my developmental English courses even get to "enjoy" a week-long unit on grammar and sentence structure. And while organization, development, and the thesis are weighted much more heavily, grammar most certainly counts. ;)

Is "My students?" a proper sentence?

He's a perfesser with full poetic license. Don't try it at home. (tsk)

I think the only point being brought up is the higher % of the take Heritage pulls in on both side of the comic.

Buyer's premium and sales commission both represent a portion of the sale price that is retained by the Auction House thereby reducing the amount paid to the seller. It was introduced to give the appearance to the seller that the auctioneer's take is less than it actually is and to catch mathematically challenged buyers who don't account for it when placing bids.

Steve B is THE man!!

heh was tellimg me bout a beautiful OO 9.0 FF 1 he inspected @ a collectgor's home

he said ot the owner, jsut get the thing cgc'd- then it;l be easily sellable if it comes to the time ur wife wants to sell the book ( i believe the owner was quite elderly)

:o

Steve B is THE man!!

:o

I bleveie taht tehre was smothieng on the itnerent rceenlty taht satted the hmaun mnid can sitll porsecs mssilpeed wrdos as lnog as the frsit and lsat lttres are the smae.

Mbyae taht is waht drdonladbklae was gniog for?

:insane:

Yes, I am bored out of my mind. :P

Maybe its just the mood I'm in, but the Grammar Police and the Search Function on this site - can go get a room together.

Those books are GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for posting that. Steve is doing a fantastic job at Heritage IMHO.

Steve B is THE man!!

did the collectgor; heh' menshuned thet its teh betest wey to sell th comiggs he hus by gong ot huurritege and no jesty gat thuem c'gc'cd, osszefoga potrezebie fonebone?

Seriously. He didn't even try to hide his tendencies this time (shrug) . At least he didn't try to pass as a chick again

It's like he's not even trying anymore. :(

did the collectgor; heh' menshuned thet its teh betest wey to sell th comiggs he hus by gong ot huurritege and no jesty gat thuem c'gc'cd, osszefoga potrezebie fonebone?

Andy, have you been reading Chaucer again?

Good call. lol

I think even Geoff would go a little cross-eyed with this thread lol

I'm not an expert on grammar, but our local Newspaper in the Poconos PA always has grammar and spelling errors. When I read a print article and see errors it's like nails on a chalkboard.