• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brock and Board, Where are we now? An Update........

491 posts in this topic

Looking at GPA, the seller bought the book for the highest price anyone has paid since March of 2007. He paid roughly 75% of what a 9.8 is currently going for.

Obviously, he doesn't pay any attention to the market and found himself eating roughly $60 on the book. I think given the current environment, he should have been happy to even get a buyer (no offense nochips, I've got a much better undercopy if you'd really like one).

About the only plausible side of the story he could post would be, "I was disappointed by Ebay and let greed & stupidity get the better of me." Followed up with sending Nochips the book for free, along with a very public apology.

To me that would redeem him....

Here's an ethics question:

I just made a purchase on the boards last night, and after reading this thread I raced back to the sale post to see if this was the same seller. Fortunately, it wasn't.

So, here's the question: if it had been the same seller, would it have been bad form for me to have canceled my purchase in protest of his behaviour, even though it had nothing to do with me? It was a PP transaction but I was prepared to take the necessary steps if so.

I would say canceling a deal like that would be appropriate. You have legitimate concerns about the ethics of the dealer and either 1) don't want to get ripped off also or 2) support a crook. Sleazeballduggery voids any previous sales.

I'd agree.

You have legitimate concerns regarding your purchase and it also sends an appropriate message that this sort of conduct will not be tolerated.

This actually happened to me a number of months ago when Taz returned to the boards under a new ID and I :takeit: on several books. Got some PMs from boardies warning me about this. Then I had a brief discussion with several long term members on what the best option would be. The consensus was that I should withdraw from the purchase. I sent Taz a PM explaining such and that until the situation was resolved I just was not comfortable buying any books. He was actually quite agreeable and apologetic. Unfortunately, the situation was never solved and I think the shill account wound up banned. Anyway, the gist was that withdrawing was not only acceptable, but by and large the community would understand and support that action. Hope that helps.

What's amazing is BD hasn't responded on the issue at all.

Really stupid stuff

I think he just stepped in it so deep, he's still fighting to reach the surface and breathe.... The best thing he can do is send the book to nochips gratis, write it off as a learning experience, and apologize to the boards.

Not sure what's greater, the deceit or the stupidity...time to start instituting IQ tests around here... :sumo:

I agree Tom, this doesnt seem too bright on his part that's for sure. In all fairness though, lets give him the chance to explain it before we set the phasers to kill. From what's been said so far though, it sure does'nt look to good.

DR.X

this sort of behaviour just makes ebay the lottery/minefield it is today.

the opposite of buyer's remorse it appears to be.

the lame 'little boy cracking out the book' excuse is so transparent.

poor form.

Well, look on the positive side: he didn't shill bid....

True, very true. No need to shill if you have no plans to sell the book anyhow? If it sells for a good price ship it out, if not break out the "my dog ate it" story.

Yep, but how many times could you use that? Seems like he panicked/threw a tantrum, without bothering to think it through. At this point, he threw away his name for 40 dollars..... somehow I'm betting he would pay even more than that now to clear this up and make this problem go away.

If he were to send the book to you now, gratis, or even for the original 20.50, would that fix it for you? Or for the others here - would you trust this guy now?

NO! Ethics means doing the right thing even when no one is watching. It does not make it okay to "correct" the situation simply because you got caught.

Before making judgment I will wait to see if there is any plausible explanation but at this point I am pretty sure I would never buy from this seller.

Not sure what's greater, the deceit or the stupidity...time to start instituting IQ tests around here... :sumo:

The truth hurts.

Really bad move on the seller's part.

This is a small community and everybody knows everything. There's only one way to go from here for him.

At the risk of getting pelted with rocks, I think this is being made out to be bigger than it is.

BD seems like a good guy. He sold a book for less than he wanted, so he decided not to sell. That sucks for the buyer, as we all love to get nice books under guide (I know the excitement I get from it).

It's great that there is some unity on this board, but it's not like the guy sold a fake, or sold something restored without mentioning it, or sold something claiming its a 8.0 when its really a 4.0, or lied in the description about damage then refused a return. Or shipped something carelessly and got destroyed in transit. He backed out of a deal- that doesn't show the most integrity, but it's not worth death or anything. No money was lost and no product was lost. You're back at square 1. I'm glad a thread was made on this, as it's good to know.

As someone mentioned- its a common non key bronze book that looks a bit off and doesn't have the best PQ. We're not talking about a Batman 1 or Marvel Comics 1, or an AF 15. I doubt this book means much overall.

I'm sure most here love comics and OA with a passion, but if you've been around you've probably been burned 10x worse easily. I know I have seen some real shady stuff. This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

***and no I never have done anything shady in dealings, so I'm not saying this because I feel guilty or anything.

The seller lied about the book being ruined to get out of the deal.

Maybe not a big deal to you, but that's enough for me to never buy anything from them. (shrug)

At the risk of getting pelted with rocks, I think this is being made out to be bigger than it is.

BD seems like a good guy. He sold a book for less than he wanted, so he decided not to sell. That sucks for the buyer, as we all love to get nice books under guide (I know the excitement I get from it).

It's great that there is some unity on this board, but it's not like the guy sold a fake, or sold something restored without mentioning it, or sold something claiming its a 8.0 when its really a 4.0, or lied in the description about damage then refused a return. Or shipped something carelessly and got destroyed in transit. He backed out of a deal- that doesn't show the most integrity, but it's not worth death or anything. No money was lost and no product was lost. You're back at square 1. I'm glad a thread was made on this, as it's good to know.

As someone mentioned- its a common non key bronze book that looks a bit off and doesn't have the best PQ. We're not talking about a Batman 1 or Marvel Comics 1, or an AF 15. I doubt this book means much overall.

I'm sure most here love comics and OA with a passion, but if you've been around you've probably been burned 10x worse easily. I know I have seen some real shady stuff. This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

***and no I never have done anything shady in dealings, so I'm not saying this because I feel guilty or anything.

It's unethical, end of. Basically you're saying it's OK to cancel winning bids because it didn't reach a price that suits you?

It's unethical, end of. Basically you're saying it's OK to cancel winning bids because it didn't reach a price that suits you?

Didn't we have a post-auction regret post recently over a Silver Age Spidey?

I hope this isn't becoming the trend.

If your ethics are shady, you would probably also be inclined to sell undisclosed restored books, books with hidden damage, etc., etc. If the seller did this one time and realizes he made a mistake, he should have chimed in by now.

It comes down to this: What is the cash value of your reputation? Without respect to ethics or what is right, you still have to know it's a very small cyber community, and nobody gets away with something this blatant and obvious. :popcorn:

Maybe you should think about it this way.

If the seller is willing to lie and cheat over $25-30, what would he do in a deal for that Batman 1 or AF 15 you mention.

If his threshold for honesty is exceeded by the temptation to make another $25, how exactly can you trust him with anything larger.

Integrity is not shown through grand gestures or how you act when everyone is watching. It's in the small things, the everyday things, when you think you'll never get caught if you just cut a corner.