• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recently purchased a CGG graded comic....and guess what?

416 posts in this topic

My only point is why we all scream and moan when someone gets a raw book they are dissatisfied with, but most sellers tend to wash their hands when a buyer is not happy with a graded book?

It's not like CGC and CGG are mythical entities incapable of a mistake, and no product should have this sort of "sorry, it's not my problem sucker!" kind of automatic brush-off.

Very true, grading is subjective, especially if youre a seller, and tend to make more $$$ by overgrading a little.

That is why we spend all this extra cash to get them graded by a 3rd party. They are making money being impartial/honest.

So I really believe that this board members beef should be with CGG and not the seller.

Just my 1c thought.

Your statement "I just find it hard to believe that a comic could look like this and the seller didn't notice anything suspicious" is irrelevant. You didn't pay for the seller's grading. You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

I don't agree. A slab of plastic does not relieve a seller from his or her obligation to deliver an unrestored comic.

That is NOT what the seller's obligation was in this case. The seller's obligation was to deliver you a CGG 9.4 Amazing Spider-Man with a blue label, and that's exactly what the seller did. You took the risk by buying a CGG book.

So I really believe that this board members beef should be with CGG and not the seller.

Okay, so could you outline the method in which a buyer can get their refund from CGC or CGG in the event of a dispute?

You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

So you buy a Sony TV from a retail store, open the box and find that your 32" TV has been trimmed to 20", and it's a problem of Sony's?

I could imagine Donut heading back to the store, the guy refusing to give a replacement, offering a canned "you bought Sony's quality and name, not ours" and giving him a 1-800 number to resolve the dispute. 27_laughing.gif

I am consistently amazed at the number of sellers who will wash their hands when it comes to graded comic sales. If you refuse to stand behind what you sell, then put i tin HUGE BOLD LETTERS, so we can all see it.

I don't see anything of the sort in this auction listing.

That's what would happen, and I would take it up with Sony, because that's where my beef would be.

I stand behind everything I sell, but if you disagree with Steve Borock's grading, take it up with him, not with me. I am consistently amazed at the number of buyers who complain about third party grading, and then say "buy the book, not the label." I'm sorry, but that's just compostable_fertilizer. You are NOT buying the book, you are most definitely buying the label.

That's why we're all paying a premium - you're buying that label that guarantees grading accuracy and quality. In this case, the label, apparently, didn't guarantee that. The seller had NOTHING to do with it.

Read the back of the CGC label.....A good faith effort is made to detect restoration, but CGC does not warrant this process or the results. .......There is their out...

I recently received a CGC book and was a bit disappointed when it arrived. I thought the book was a touch overgraded. I bought the book from a rather small scan and relied on the third party grade. I left the seller a good feedback because he delivered what he promised. I was at fault for not asking for a larger scan. I've bought enough CGC graded books to understand how they grade and I have an overall respect for the grading. I find that I weigh some defects more than they do so I usually ask for a larger scan or a description of the defects before I bid.

In my auctions CGC graded books are not returnable and I note that in the auction.

I did accept a return on one book in which a piece was missing and it was not clear in the scan.

The sad thing there is none. They wash their hands from this whole thing, but I dont like the fact that the seller (assuming had no idea) should take the fall. I dont see anything he did that was dishonest.

I stand behind everything I sell, but if you disagree with Steve Borock's grading, take it up with him, not with me. I am consistently amazed at the number of buyers who complain about third party grading, and then say "buy the book, not the label." I'm sorry, but that's just compostable_fertilizer. You are NOT buying the book, you are most definitely buying the label.

I should note that this is your opinion, and may not reflect how all buyers and sellers feel about these transactions.

What about case damage, where the book CGC graded is obviously been damaged since the grade was assigned? How about books that were "cleaned and pressed", yet now have warped back to their original shape?

You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

So you buy a Sony TV from a retail store, open the box and find that your 32" TV has been trimmed to 20", and it's a problem of Sony's?

I could imagine Donut heading back to the store, the guy refusing to give a replacement, offering a canned "you bought Sony's quality and name, not ours" and giving him a 1-800 number to resolve the dispute. 27_laughing.gif

I am consistently amazed at the number of sellers who will wash their hands when it comes to graded comic sales. If you refuse to stand behind what you sell, then put i tin HUGE BOLD LETTERS, so we can all see it.

I don't see anything of the sort in this auction listing.

That's what would happen, and I would take it up with Sony, because that's where my beef would be.

That's why we're all paying a premium - you're buying that label that guarantees grading accuracy and quality. In this case, the label, apparently, didn't guarantee that. The seller had NOTHING to do with it.

EXACTLY!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

This whole thing stinks!

1) Even if the darn comic isn't trimmed it looks like a piece of [!@#%^&^] all out of joint. How that ever got higher than a 9.0 I'll never know. CGG bad. - Strike one

2) If the seller was just flipping a book he bought last week/month/year and doesn't have any idea if it's trimmed (he bought the slab) then maybe he is a victim too. It's CGG's fault. - Strike two

2a) However if you get proof it was trimmed, he should work some kind of return out with you if CGG doesn't make good.

3) If the seller CGGed the book trying to fool them, and he succeeded, then he's no better than Comic-Keys. Come on you guys... If Danny Boy got lucky and slipped one by CGC you might hoot at CGC for bit, but you would all point the finger at Comic-Keys as the main villain. If CGG was fooled it's their fault- Strike Three

I wonder how CGG will handle this if it turns out they missed trimming? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think this really comes down to buyer vs. seller.

Sellers love CGC books, since these allow a seamless method of transferring blame and culpability over to the grading company.

Buyers sometimes get screwed due to this, as the internal comic could be damaged from some knucklehead seller dropping it a show, leaving it out in the sun, or dropping it in the bathtub, but it's always:

"You got a beef with CGC, not my bathing habits". 893frustrated.gif

I am not a seller, but I agree with Flying Donut (who both buys and sells). Unless the seller sent in the book knowing that it was restored, I don't think it's fair to hold the seller responsible if an "expert" grading company says that the book is unrestored.

Your statement "I just find it hard to believe that a comic could look like this and the seller didn't notice anything suspicious" is irrelevant. You didn't pay for the seller's grading. You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

I don't agree. A slab of plastic does not relieve a seller from his or her obligation to deliver an unrestored comic.

wonder how CGG will handle this if it turns out they missed trimming?

They are not going to do a thing,...they don't promise that they will detect all restoration....

Oh god... My eyes...

Now I'll have to go stare at the babe thread for 5 mins or so to get my eyes back in focus!

insane.gif

I think this really comes down to buyer vs. seller.

Sellers love CGC books, since these allow a seamless method of transferring blame and culpability over to the grading company.

Buyers sometimes get screwed due to this, as the internal comic could be damaged from some knucklehead seller dropping it a show, leaving it out in the sun, or dropping it in the bathtub, but it's always:

"You got a beef with CGC, not my bathing habits". 893frustrated.gif

I hear you. It think it stinks for both buyer and seller. I dont think that CGG or CGC for that matter is the ALMIGHTY who have the final say on a book, but it seems to be the way according to todays grading standards. I personnally own High Grade CGC books, and honestly looking at them still cant figure out how they ever got this grade 893whatthe.gif

because that's where my beef would be.

Nah. Here's where the BEEF is...

3.jpg

893whatthe.gif

Which one is grading my comics? 893whatthe.gif

I think the guy on the right is checking for greggy nutsack creases. foreheadslap.gif