• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I had a chance to buy that copy on ebay before it was slabbed, but passed because I pursued something else and my offer wasn't accepted. I believe the seller was Eides. Nice looking low grade copy IMHO. Should be interesting to see how much the book would sell for.
I passed as well but probably shouldn't have in hindsight

+1.. I believe he had it graded out as a 2.0/2.5 but thought it was around 1.5 which it is right now

I could see it going as a 1.8/2.0 raw...2.5 would be pushing it..
:gossip: it's a 1.5

Would it be possible to do some math on the divide´between cgc grade 1.5 and 2.5/3.0 (in terms of procentage of paper-loss allowed). Just a broad canvas stroke?

Or may such a question be considered just a result of my brain frolicking joyfully around in the thin air of naive abstraction? (Merrywether might chime in here :) to supplement my vocabulary :banana:)

Okay Gator, here's one for you that I thought would be fun for those of us on the bottom-end of the buying spectrum:

Let's say you're saving up for "big" GA book, and your budget is between $750 - $1500. What book would you aim for? You aren't specific on grade and your perfectly fine with even the *real* low grade copies--though it should generally be intact. No single pages or anything like that. Restoration is fine--slight or extensive, amateur or pro--and it can be either slabbed or raw.

What do you buy?

superman 14...easy choice for me (thumbs u

:cloud9:

Well played, sir, well played. My favorite war cover...

I had a chance to buy that copy on ebay before it was slabbed, but passed because I pursued something else and my offer wasn't accepted. I believe the seller was Eides. Nice looking low grade copy IMHO. Should be interesting to see how much the book would sell for.

+1.. I believe he had it graded out as a 2.0/2.5 but thought it was around 1.5 which it is right now

Would it be possible to do some math on the divide´between cgc grade 1.5 and 2.5/3.0 (in terms of procentage of paper-loss allowed). Just a broad canvas stroke?

Or may such a question be considered just a result of my brain frolicking joyfully around in the thin air of naive abstraction? (Merrywether might chime in here :) to supplement my vocabulary :banana:)

lol

Indubitably, my good fellow; I'll see that chime and raise it!

Recalculate using advanced math, or rather Matt (as in Restoman). Considering the wonders his apprentice accomplished with a low grade copy of Cap #1 that was rebuilt, shown around and sold at NYCC. It was the talk of the show!

Whatever percentage of paper is lost can probably be recouped by leaf casting and replication of the missing art for the long term preservation and enjoyment of the book.

Of course, all this depends on whether one's cerebellum is capable of frolicking around the possibilities of taking a beater copy of a key grail book and reconstituting it to an NG with an apparent high grade in lieu of being satisfied with a low grade blue label which has limited potential in it's current state. hm

Dear Mr Gator,

Be new to the Golden Age of collecting ( or Pre Hulk time of comics) I have narrowed a focus that I would like to possible pursue and seek your wisdom in this. How hard are the Flash Comics issues to come by? My main focus will be Hawkman cover ( escpecially with Mr Moldoff or Mr Kubert's involvement) I just dont see too many GA hero issues come up often. Also Are the Flash Comic issues harder to come by than the All Star Comics run? Please any advice would be helpful.

Respectfully , 3319comics.

lol

Indubitably, my good fellow; I'll see that chime and raise it!

Recalculate using advanced math, or rather Matt (as in Restoman). Considering the wonders his apprentice accomplished with a low grade copy of Cap #1 that was rebuilt, shown around and sold at NYCC. It was the talk of the show!

Whatever percentage of paper is lost can probably be recouped by leaf casting and replication of the missing art for the long term preservation and enjoyment of the book.

Of course, all this depends on whether one's cerebellum is capable of frolicking around the possibilities of taking a beater copy of a key grail book and reconstituting it to an NG with an apparent high grade in lieu of being satisfied with a low grade blue label which has limited potential in it's current state. hm

Oh - my cerebellum is indeed capable of frolicking around the POS (how limited however this window might be) of snagging a HG GA Grail. Its just me but I kind a fancy HG purple more than I do Universal beater :blush:

Thanks my dear Merryweather for attending my post in such a swift and clearhearted manner. :hi:

Dear Mr Gator,

Be new to the Golden Age of collecting ( or Pre Hulk time of comics) I have narrowed a focus that I would like to possible pursue and seek your wisdom in this. How hard are the Flash Comics issues to come by? My main focus will be Hawkman cover ( escpecially with Mr Moldoff or Mr Kubert's involvement) I just dont see too many GA hero issues come up often. Also Are the Flash Comic issues harder to come by than the All Star Comics run? Please any advice would be helpful.

Respectfully , 3319comics.

to answer that question, would need to know if you are grade conscious/specific or not and what your budget is?

on the second note, I have seen almost as many flash as AS over the years, but seems like AS are offered on line more frequently (it used to be "the" title that golden agers collected foremost), so I would say the edge on apparent availability lends creedance to your statement...

if you are not worried about grade, virtually all Hawkman "Flash" issues are available multiple times through the year, and a quick scan and I can find just about all of them on line right now or in the very recent past...

so, set your budget and go for them...they are cool covers and even some of the stories are good (thumbs u

Dear Mr Gator,

Be new to the Golden Age of collecting ( or Pre Hulk time of comics) I have narrowed a focus that I would like to possible pursue and seek your wisdom in this. How hard are the Flash Comics issues to come by? My main focus will be Hawkman cover ( escpecially with Mr Moldoff or Mr Kubert's involvement) I just dont see too many GA hero issues come up often. Also Are the Flash Comic issues harder to come by than the All Star Comics run? Please any advice would be helpful.Respectfully , 3319comics.

Actually I was just looking at Ebay over the weekend,and was surprised at how the low the prices for GA Flash,as well as GA Green Lantern have dropped. Flash Comics that were going for $500 + going for half that and less. A great time to be a buyer of GA Flash.

This truly is the golden age of buying for certain golden age comic books.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Mr. Gator,

I understand that certain books from pedigrees can command a premium. Church books being the best example of this as most sell for even higher than multiples of guide.

I was considering purchasing a certain high grade Pennsylvania pedigree book.

1. Are Pennsylvania books as "fresh and breathtaking" in hand as Church books?

2. What multiple should I expect to pay for a non key Pennsylvania pedigree book? The book in question is tied with one other as highest cgc graded (if that matters).

Thanks for the thoughts and knowledge.

Kelly

Mr. Gator,

I understand that certain books from pedigrees can command a premium. Church books being the best example of this as most sell for even higher than multiples of guide.

2. What multiple should I expect to pay for a non key Pennsylvania pedigree book? The book in question is tied with one other as highest cgc graded (if that matters).

Kelly

having owned books from all the major predigress, I can tell you that Penns are not in the same league as MH, or Allentowns or SF/Reilly's... I equate Penns at only a slight premium to a non ped...they are fresh, but not "mile high" fresh

perfect example, a few years ago, I bought a hangman 3, Penn copy..it was only about 10% more than a comparable looking copy non pedigreed...so I wouldn't pay a huge premium (naturally, which book and title could change my mind, but generically speaking)

Mr. Gator,

Kelly

having owned books from all the major predigress, I can tell you that Penns are not in the same league as MH, or Allentowns or SF/Reilly's... I equate Penns at only a slight premium to a non ped...they are fresh, but not "mile high" fresh

perfect example, a few years ago, I bought a hangman 3, Penn copy..it was only about 10% more than a comparable looking copy non pedigreed...so I wouldn't pay a huge premium (naturally, which book and title could change my mind, but generically speaking)

With a few exceptions, most Allentowns are not nearly as white or fresh as the San Francisco's or Mile Highs copies are. Many are structurally near perfect, but still lack that extra pop in colors & whiteness.

I have only owned 2 allentowns, and both were the bomb diggity :headbang: but I would absolutely defer to West ...he knows pedigrees like Bo knows baseball hehe

Mr. Gator,

Kelly

While I certainly wouldnt argue against either GAtor or West I'd say it might depend also on which book it is. If there is a Mile high of the same book it is probably going to be more attractive than the same issue in any other ped. But some of the Mile High Fights and Planets lack deep colors so dont quite "pop" as one might expect. On the other hand, I do still have the Penn copy of rangers #14 and it really does "pop" - but then the cover design itself is very high contrast. Plus of course it is a scarcer issue in grade as well.

So I do think Fiction House can be a little more tricky - and it's more a case by case scenario.

But I do think GAtor is as usual spot on in his analysis of respective pedigree values. San Fran and Church well ahead, Penns lagging, but still above a non-ped in comparable grade in most cases.

..and if you decide agin it- please may I know where it is so I can snag it? lol

Dear Mr Gator,

Be new to the Golden Age of collecting ( or Pre Hulk time of comics) I have narrowed a focus that I would like to possible pursue and seek your wisdom in this. How hard are the Flash Comics issues to come by? My main focus will be Hawkman cover ( escpecially with Mr Moldoff or Mr Kubert's involvement) I just dont see too many GA hero issues come up often. Also Are the Flash Comic issues harder to come by than the All Star Comics run? Please any advice would be helpful.Respectfully , 3319comics.

Actually I was just looking at Ebay over the weekend,and was surprised at how the low the prices for GA Flash,as well as GA Green Lantern have dropped. Flash Comics that were going for $500 + going for half that and less. A great time to be a buyer of GA Flash.

This truly is the golden age of buying for certain golden age comic books.

On raw or slabbed?

From reputable sellers or from sellers who say "Grading is subjective, so look at the picture closely?"

Key issues or regular issues?

Completed listings or what's for sale?

How does that information compare with what GPA says?

There are certain things you can ascertain from eBay sales, but I wouldn't paint it as a complete snapshot of the GA market...

Hi.

What would be a fair buying price for a Captain America Comics #1 CGC 6.0 MP ?

Thanks.

8-10 k is range depending on presentation,pq, etc

Thank you Gator

visual presentation and quality of restoration plays a big role, so sometimes tought to "estimate" without specifics... (thumbs u

for a 1.5, this has great presentation IMO. Colors are tough to get bright on a Cap 1, and this one has it. Not sure what the BC looks like but a nice 1.5 :applause:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=917322

no longer on comiclink, sold outside of comiclink? board transaction?

Hi.

Thanks.

Thank you Gator

visual presentation and quality of restoration plays a big role, so sometimes tought to "estimate" without specifics... (thumbs u

for a 1.5, this has great presentation IMO. Colors are tough to get bright on a Cap 1, and this one has it. Not sure what the BC looks like but a nice 1.5 :applause:

:wishluck: great seller

Hi.

Thanks.

Thank you Gator

You're a great seller

Hi.

Thanks.

Thank you Gator

You're a great seller

I've been doing "it" best I can since dallas, but no one gets it but me lol