• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear Mr Gator,

Be new to the Golden Age of collecting ( or Pre Hulk time of comics) I have narrowed a focus that I would like to possible pursue and seek your wisdom in this. How hard are the Flash Comics issues to come by? My main focus will be Hawkman cover ( escpecially with Mr Moldoff or Mr Kubert's involvement) I just dont see too many GA hero issues come up often. Also Are the Flash Comic issues harder to come by than the All Star Comics run? Please any advice would be helpful.Respectfully , 3319comics.

Actually I was just looking at Ebay over the weekend,and was surprised at how the low the prices for GA Flash,as well as GA Green Lantern have dropped. Flash Comics that were going for $500 + going for half that and less. A great time to be a buyer of GA Flash.

This truly is the golden age of buying for certain golden age comic books.

:cloud9:

On raw or slabbed?

From reputable sellers or from sellers who say "Grading is subjective, so look at the picture closely?"

Key issues or regular issues?

Completed listings or what's for sale?

How does that information compare with what GPA says?

There are certain things you can ascertain from eBay sales, but I wouldn't paint it as a complete snapshot of the GA market...

Slabbed would probably better than than raw from the usual advantages given by buying a cgc slab, but would not be a deciding factor to my purchases. I would focus my purchases in those runs with Hawkmans by Kubert or Sheldon Moldoff. I also was looking around on Feebay and was surprised at some of the prices for GA books out there. My first choice as with 99% of my comicbook purchases is off the boards or from dealers at cons who are boardies....

Hi.

What would be a fair buying price for a Captain America Comics #1 CGC 6.0 MP ?

Thanks.

8-10 k is range depending on presentation,pq, etc

Thank you Gator

visual presentation and quality of restoration plays a big role, so sometimes tought to "estimate" without specifics... (thumbs u

for a 1.5, this has great presentation IMO. Colors are tough to get bright on a Cap 1, and this one has it. Not sure what the BC looks like but a nice 1.5 :applause:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=917322

no longer on comiclink, sold outside of comiclink? board transaction?

:wishluck: great seller

You're a great seller

I've been doing "it" best I can since dallas, but no one gets it but me lol

:applause: Keep trying, it is all in the delivery. You'll get there

Dear Mr Gator,

Be new to the Golden Age of collecting ( or Pre Hulk time of comics) I have narrowed a focus that I would like to possible pursue and seek your wisdom in this. How hard are the Flash Comics issues to come by? My main focus will be Hawkman cover ( escpecially with Mr Moldoff or Mr Kubert's involvement) I just dont see too many GA hero issues come up often. Also Are the Flash Comic issues harder to come by than the All Star Comics run? Please any advice would be helpful.Respectfully , 3319comics.

Actually I was just looking at Ebay over the weekend,and was surprised at how the low the prices for GA Flash,as well as GA Green Lantern have dropped. Flash Comics that were going for $500 + going for half that and less. A great time to be a buyer of GA Flash.

This truly is the golden age of buying for certain golden age comic books.

:cloud9:

On raw or slabbed?

From reputable sellers or from sellers who say "Grading is subjective, so look at the picture closely?"

Key issues or regular issues?

Completed listings or what's for sale?

How does that information compare with what GPA says?

There are certain things you can ascertain from eBay sales, but I wouldn't paint it as a complete snapshot of the GA market...

Slabbed would probably better than than raw from the usual advantages given by buying a cgc slab, but would not be a deciding factor to my purchases. I would focus my purchases in those runs with Hawkmans by Kubert or Sheldon Moldoff. I also was looking around on Feebay and was surprised at some of the prices for GA books out there. My first choice as with 99% of my comicbook purchases is off the boards or from dealers at cons who are boardies....

(thumbs u That's the way to go!

Hi.

What would be a fair buying price for a Captain America Comics #1 CGC 6.0 MP ?

Thanks.

8-10 k is range depending on presentation,pq, etc

Thank you Gator

visual presentation and quality of restoration plays a big role, so sometimes tought to "estimate" without specifics... (thumbs u

for a 1.5, this has great presentation IMO. Colors are tough to get bright on a Cap 1, and this one has it. Not sure what the BC looks like but a nice 1.5 :applause:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=917322

no longer on comiclink, sold outside of comiclink? board transaction?

:wishluck: great seller

You're a great seller

I've been doing "it" best I can since dallas, but no one gets it but me lol

:applause: Keep trying, it is all in the delivery. You'll get there

Bill, you really shouldnt encourage him!

Dear Gator:

Do you have any cap guns?

If not, why not? Do you mean to denigrate their worth as collectibles?

???

I have a 1960 mattel tommy gun with a 1961 tracy sticker on it...pretty cool!

I think in 61 mattel repacked their tg with the dt sticker that kids applied to it...bought it for $25!

Dear Gator:

Do you deal in the car humour magazines such as Drag Cartoons, CARtoons, Hot Rod Cartoons, Cycletoons, etc. very often? I've found that most dealers do not and I've always wondered why the disinterest.

???

Dear Gator:

Do you deal in the car humour magazines such as Drag Cartoons, CARtoons, Hot Rod Cartoons, Cycletoons, etc. very often? I've found that most dealers do not and I've always wondered why the disinterest.

???

admittedly, I do not...my personal interest is the only reason why...now, maybe it is lack of exposure to the car humour mags that has precluded me dealing in them, but I just have not been drawn to them (shrug)

Oh wise Gator,

I've got a SA question for you, hopefully you'll indulge me! For investment purposes, would you rather have a mid-grade key (like AF 15) or a high grade semi-key (for example X-men 2). Assume market prices for the two books in question are equal today.

Oh and who's going to win on Monday?

Oh wise Gator,

I've got a SA question for you, hopefully you'll indulge me! For investment purposes, would you rather have a mid-grade key (like AF 15) or a high grade semi-key (for example X-men 2). Assume market prices for the two books in question are equal today.

AF 15 $ for $ 7 days a week and twice on Sunday lol

LSU by 10

Dear Gator:

I'm a big fan of both the Adventures of the Fly and the Adventures of the Jaguar. I've found very few to next to no individuals on this august board who share my enthusiasm. Could it possibly be the case that I'm the single most discerning individual on this board?

???

Oh wise Gator,

LSU by 10

Easiest answer in this whole thread

Oh wise Gator,

LSU by 10

Easiest answer in this whole thread

The one about comics or the one about football? lol

Dear Gator:

I'm a big fan of both the Adventures of the Fly and the Adventures of the Jaguar. I've found very few to next to no individuals on this august board who share my enthusiasm. Could it possibly be the case that I'm the single most discerning individual on this board?

???

The adventure books are fun but we generally seem to be in a super hero centric collecting community so many cool books go under appreciated or even unnoticed

Dear Gator:

???

The adventure books are fun but we generally seem to be in a super hero centric collecting community so many cool books go under appreciated or even unnoticed

:gossip: The Fly and Jaguar are superhero books.

Dear Gator:

???

In lieu of Gator's august response I've consulted my crystal ball, and the news is not good. Shared enthusiasm isn't directly proportional to what one wears or drives. (shrug)

Dear Gator:

???

Cat girl :cloud9:

catgirl.gif

Edited by alanna

Oh great golden age guru !

What were your hottest selling golden age comics for 2011 pre-Robin tecs or early Actions?

What was your surprise for 2011 good GA selling comic?

What was your surprise for 2011 slow GA selling comic?

and finally what does your crystal ball say about the Golden Age market for 2012?

crystal%20ball.jpg

I guess the crystal ball has been having technical difficulties .

:)

crystal_ball.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Dear Gator:

???

:gossip: The Fly and Jaguar are superhero books.

Cut him some slack, they aren't big dollar books so he doesn't know what they are