• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hi Gator,

Thinking about taking my 8 year-old nephew to a relatively big con on the east coast. For him, I want a it to be child friendly. For me, I'd like to see some see some nice GA comics and talk with GA aficionados. Will any con do, or do you have suggestions?

Thanks!!

How significant is Tec26 iyo being the first ever mention of the "Bat-Man" (text only) ?

The market has ready spoken that it is not too significant

Hi Gator,

Thinking about taking my 8 year-old nephew to a relatively big con on the east coast. For him, I want a it to be child friendly. For me, I'd like to see some see some nice GA comics and talk with GA aficionados. Will any con do, or do you have suggestions?

Thanks!!

Baltimore in sept might be best Choice. NYcc is biggest but a madhouse and expensive to attend

If you are more south then Heroes in June would be a good choice

Atlanta in may/June is first time I'm setting up so can't comment

Hi gator, question re two books, action 23 and more fun 55, how do you see these books doing over the next few years? Same, less or more and by a little or a lot? Tia.

More fun 55 has always been a cool book. Dr fate's first cover (56) is a better book to me, but with his fa in 55, if he were to somehow become a featured dc character, both those books have potential

I used to stock action 23 deeply (3-5 copies at all times). It went into a period of flatness last few years but always has demand. Again, nothing really to ignite it at this point, just a cool early action ...I mean lex Luther has been done to death in movies , etc.

:hi: GAtor...keeping in line with this question how do you think the Action #23 holds up against the classic More Fun #54? as you have stated many times we seem to be in a more or less somewhat cover driven market...I personally love both covers but the #54 has been deemed classic and only boasts the 3rd appearance of the Spectre...both seem somewhat comparible as far as price with the Action picking up some steam in the last year or so...will the #54 hold it's value d/t cover alone and do you see many of these books or ever hoard them in the past like the AC23? :grin:

There is plenty of supply of mf54 relative to demand. It has managed to hold value in higher grades but has slipped in lower grades as most all mf comics have (73 an exception at the moment)

I used to try to keep 1-2 copies but as demand has dwindled, I have not sought to have any longer

Action 23 is supes/lex. It will hold up better than mf54

How does the supply/demand equation look for Marvel Comics #1 ?

Marvel 1 is very cyclical. Periods where supply appears ample and periods (like now) where supply seems limited.

It is the first marvel but the book has taken a back seat to action, detective, superman, batman and even captain America among its own ranks.

There is plenty of supply of mf54 relative to demand. It has managed to hold value in higher grades but has slipped in lower grades as most all mf comics have (73 an exception at the moment)

I used to try to keep 1-2 copies but as demand has dwindled, I have not sought to have any longer

Action 23 is supes/lex. It will hold up better than mf54

thanks Rick as always man (thumbs u "slipped in lower grades" is perfect for me!!! if you see any 1.5s or so of either book please let me know my friend I will pay you handsomely for them :wishluck: take it easy buddy

Marvel 1 is very cyclical. Periods where supply appears ample and periods (like now) where supply seems limited.

It is the first marvel but the book has taken a back seat to action, detective, superman, batman and even captain America among its own ranks.

Whats the rough guesstimate on the C-cnect sligth (P) copy?

Unfortunately book I have interest in I don't tip my hat ;)

Hi Gator,

Thanks!!

Baltimore in sept might be best Choice. NYcc is biggest but a madhouse and expensive to attend

Thanks GAtor! I live in Virginia, so Baltimore is a great suggestion - only about 3 hours away. My nephew and I drove down to Richmond VA for a very small comic con in VA this weekend. On the drive - with his encouragement - I drilled him on the relevance of key Amazing Spiderman issues. What's the first appearance of Doc Oc? , etc.

Eventually, I'll scaffold him up on the GA side of things. He is a quick learner. Need to pull in the youger generation, especially for GA!

Edited by Vision75

Hi Gator,

Thanks!!

You're not setting-up at Comicpalooza? Think of what you'll be missing, not to mention all the gator stories if you're not around! :baiting:

Unfortunately book I have interest in I don't tip my hat ;)

tip your hand is what you were looking for. a man with his own dear abby thread needs to have a good working knowledge of idiom.