• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I have no rooting interest in any particular college team, I just like to see as many good matchups as possible. My hope is that going forward, the committee makes it clear that they will hold cupcake games against teams. How could Alabama be seriously considered for the national championship when they scheduled both Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic last year?

I guess you could argue that Western Carolina is on the ragged edge of respectability, but really if you schedule two games like that you should be out of consideration for the national championship. :sumo:

SEC dominance is a relatively new thing.

Tell that to Alabama, who has more National Championships in the last 80 years than any school in the country. lol

Tell that to Alabama, who has more National Championships in the last 80 years than any school in the country. lol

lol. One school does not a conference make (though the SEC certainly loves to ride Bama's coattails).

Guess we all bow down to the Ivy League and Yale's 17 NCs (and 39 total for the Yale-Harvard-Princeton Triumvirate).

PS - Alabama also schedules road games against OOC foes.

What's Florida's excuse?

lol. One school does not a conference make (though the SEC certainly loves to ride Bama's coattails).

Guess we all bow down to the Ivy League and Yale's 17 NCs (and 39 total for the Yale-Harvard-Princeton Triumvirate).

PS - Alabama also schedules road games against OOC foes.

What's Florida's excuse?

FSU has played the Citadel as many times as Fl has in the past decade lol

it's all about the $...

FSU has played the Citadel as many times as Fl has in the past decade lol

it's all about the $...

While also scheduling home and homes with Oklahoma, BYU, Notre Dame, Colorado, and Syracuse (plus single games vs. Oklahoma State, and Alabama, while also keeping Miami on the schedule).

We'll just go back to 65+ years since since the Gators have won an OOC game outside the state.

Miami and FSU are always up to the challenge of playing tough OOC opponents.

doh!

In the last 35 years, the only teams FSU played in the regular season that went on to win the National Championship are Florida and Miami (8 games total). Miami has played 4 such teams during that time (6 games total), while Florida has played 6 such teams (12 games total).

It's pure chance when schedules are made 4-6-8+ years in advance to have VT for example, say thank goodness we scheduled OSU in 2014, they'll win the National Championship that year.

The point is to schedule quality opponents (at the time of scheduling) and whatever happens in that year happens. You know like when FSU said sure they would go to Michigan in 1991 years ahead of time, not knowing that both would be top 3 teams at the time. Or when OSU and Texas played home and homes a few years ago, or LSU and Oregon recently.

It's hard to schedule a NC the year they win the championship, it's not hard to schedule a quality opponent consistently.

The Gators have a 70 year history of dodging such games, while your SEC flag-bearer, Alabama, embraces them (as does LSU and Tennessee).

And we won't mention your flawed logic that because the Gators lose they are helping teams go on to win the NC, while Miami and FSU might be playing teams and winning to stop them from being champions (say a 1980 Pitt team that was probably the best team in the country, or the 1986 Oklahoma team)

The Gators have a 70 year history of dodging such games, while your SEC flag-bearer, Alabama, embraces them (as does LSU and Tennessee).

By scheduling Western Carolina AND Florida Atlantic last year?!

By scheduling Western Carolina AND Florida Atlantic last year?!

Every year can't be a winner, but it looks like they will give FSU a go in 2017 (and played them in 2007), they played a top 10 VT team in 2009, Penn State in 2010 and 11, Michigan in 2012, etc.

To put them in the same dodgy class as the Gators would be wrong.

Rick, whats your opinion on the top 5 most expensive books in the hobby???

Are they all Tec 27/ A1s or does the cap 1 9.8 AA16 9.6 slip in there?

I feel the 5 more "valuable" known books in the hobby are

Mile High action 1 (raw)

Allentown tec 27 (raw)

9.2 w page tec 27 (cgc)

9.0 w page action 1 (cgc)

9.0 c/ow page action 1 (cgc)

the 9.8 cap 1 is pushing the top 5 for sure.... the 9.4 aa 16 wouldn't even make top 10...

Mile High action 1 (raw)

Allentown tec 27 (raw)

9.2 w page tec 27 (cgc)

the 9.8 cap 1 is pushing the top 5 for sure.... the 9.4 aa 16 wouldn't even make top 10...

Good to know. Have you seen it ?

Mile High action 1 (raw)

Allentown tec 27 (raw)

9.2 w page tec 27 (cgc)

hm

Mile High action 1 (raw)

Allentown tec 27 (raw)

9.2 w page tec 27 (cgc)

not yet, but hopefully soon :wishluck:

I'd probably agree with the list.

No way 27 ever overtakes 1.

May I ask how old you are??

I'm not that old...I hope.

27 has been biting 1's heels for years. And isn't Batman more widely considered the most popular character in the hobby today?

Also, in the 90's, how many years did OSPG rank 27 as the #1 most valuable book?