• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I was just going thru my Action 14 first page Sup looks great. I love the way Sup looks in Actions 16 and under.

I love the way Batman looks in Tecs 27 to 37 not saying the art is top but the look they have you know you have a great book?

Timely love to get a better copy of Marvel 1. C'Mon Man and MANNUP a copy for me you know who i am talking to?

Edited by woowoo

Also, in the 30's and 40's women's magazine illustration and advertising paid illustrators much more than pulp or comic art. Don't get me wrong I think Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Alex Raymond, Mac Rayboy, were amazing ... Its just most of the DC art that's most disappointing in my book.

Frankly, when you read the stories, I tend to think that DC's 40s Superman and Batman (Jerry Robinson, et al.) content has really stood the test of time better than many other superhero stories of the same time period. The art is well executed, very slick and professional, and serves the stories incredibly well. You mention Kirby, but I'm not as big a fan of his 40s work (including his large volume of DC work) as I am of the guys who drew Superman and Batman in the same time period. And DC also had some incredibly talented people working the backups: Jimmy Thompson on Robotman springs immediately to mind as does Dan Barry on Vigilante (and Meskin wasn't so bad either) and Fred Ray's Tomahawk.

great stuff indeed

in my opinion most DC art was stiff and visually dull... but I agree the characters and stories are iconic and will hold the test of time... for a long time to come...But I wonder what it would have looked like if an artist like Alex Raymond was brought in to draw Batman instead of Jerry Robinson...

It might have been stiffer and duller.... (If he drew it in the Flash Gordon style)

Beautiful line work and draftsmanship, but not much movement

If he drew it in the Tim Tyler style, he would have fit right in

If the kid really wanted action for his dime he'd buy Timely. :grin:

I second that....Timely's had some of the grit I wish a character like Batman had in the 40's.

Batman has so many levels..

In my opinion I'm saddened to say that no one ever got him right.. drawn or filmed...

I'm not a fan of Bob Kane's cardboard cut out, Robinson's too cute ..Adam's was stiff ( i think because he used too much photo reference) and Miller made him fat. Frazetta might have gotten him right with a Death Dealer look...but the edgier darker qualities have never been played out as of yet.

Edited by sartre

Also, in the 30's and 40's women's magazine illustration and advertising paid illustrators much more than pulp or comic art. Don't get me wrong I think Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Alex Raymond, Mac Rayboy, were amazing ... Its just most of the DC art that's most disappointing in my book.

Frankly, when you read the stories, I tend to think that DC's 40s Superman and Batman (Jerry Robinson, et al.) content has really stood the test of time better than many other superhero stories of the same time period. The art is well executed, very slick and professional, and serves the stories incredibly well. You mention Kirby, but I'm not as big a fan of his 40s work (including his large volume of DC work) as I am of the guys who drew Superman and Batman in the same time period. And DC also had some incredibly talented people working the backups: Jimmy Thompson on Robotman springs immediately to mind as does Dan Barry on Vigilante (and Meskin wasn't so bad either) and Fred Ray's Tomahawk.

great stuff indeed

in my opinion most DC art was stiff and visually dull... but I agree the characters and stories are iconic and will hold the test of time... for a long time to come...But I wonder what it would have looked like if an artist like Alex Raymond was brought in to draw Batman instead of Jerry Robinson...

It might have been stiffer and duller.... (If he drew it in the Flash Gordon style)

Beautiful line work and draftsmanship, but not much movement

If he drew it in the Tim Tyler style, he would have fit right in

If the kid really wanted action for his dime he'd buy Timely. :grin:

I second that....Timely's had some of the grit I wish a character like Batman had in the 40's.

Batman has so many levels..

In my opinion I'm saddened to say that no one ever got him right.. drawn or filmed...

I'm not a fan of Bob Kane's cardboard cut out, Robinson's too cute ..Adam's was stiff ( i think because he used too much photo reference) and Miller made him fat. Frazetta might have gotten him right with a Death Dealer look...but the edgier darker quality never got played out yet.

I disagree profoundly with you on your assessment,

But heck, you are an artist, go for it! I'd love to see your take on Batman. :wishluck:

I like comic books

I like chicken wings, dipped in spicy sauce

I don't like comic books ...dipped in spicy sauce! :sumo:

I like comic books

not as good as bubbles

:eek: ... :sick:

2f084636-819e-46d4-9fdc-57c44e48e0b5_zpsviga9n0y.jpg

fd15647f-6dd7-486c-b7bd-0ca5e21ef11f_zpslvcdlcb6.jpg

He should be reading a Church copy.

I like comic books

I like comic books

not as good as bubbles

and I'm pretty sure that tub is filled with Coke Zero... or soon will be! :insane:

I like comic books

I like comic books

not as good as bubbles

and I'm pretty sure that tub is filled with Coke Zero... or soon will be! :insane:

I think I threw up a little in my mouth.... :sick:

I like comic books

I like comic books

not as good as bubbles

not everyone can handle coke zero lol

I like comic books

I like comic books

not as good as bubbles

not everyone can handle coke zero lol

:o What are you wearing - apart from the bath? Shudder

I always wear a big smile into a coke zero bubble bath

if I had any photo editing ability, I would have a Jessica beil head pop up out of the water :blush: