• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Both Action 1 and Detective 27 are bad covers... the only reason they are liked are because they are Action 1 and Detective 27... Bob Kane couldn't draw for beans and Action 1 is a sad composition and poorly drawn as well... too bad the better illustrators of the day didn't draw for comics....

Some of us like them because of their crudeness and simplicity. This was a nascent art form and they were blazing a trail.

Rick, whats your opinion on the top 5 most expensive books in the hobby???

Are they all Tec 27/ A1s or does the cap 1 9.8 AA16 9.6 slip in there?

I feel the 5 more "valuable" known books in the hobby are

Mile High action 1 (raw)

Allentown tec 27 (raw)

9.2 w page tec 27 (cgc)

9.0 w page action 1 (cgc)

9.0 c/ow page action 1 (cgc)

the 9.8 cap 1 is pushing the top 5 for sure.... the 9.4 aa 16 wouldn't even make top 10...

Interesting, I figured as much. As for AA16, not even top10? It has scarcity on its side. I would assume its a million dollar book for sure.. Cap 1 has picked up major steam, so I was wondering if it would grab the 5 slot. I guess he has more work to do on the big screen.

Both Action 1 and Detective 27 are bad covers... the only reason they are liked are because they are Action 1 and Detective 27... Bob Kane couldn't draw for beans and Action 1 is a sad composition and poorly drawn as well... too bad the better illustrators of the day didn't draw for comics....

Yup.

I disagree, they are not bad covers, they are both very dynamic covers that perfectly introduce two huge characters in comics history, Superman showing his strength and Batman swinging from buildings. the art is not on the same level as say a Neal Adams, but for the time period they work well. and it could have been worse, like the cover art to Fantastic Comics #9 or so.

The 9.4 AA 16 has got to be there. I know Rick disagrees but I have yet to speak to anyone else who's opinion I value in the hobby that does not place it in the top 5 due to overall scarcity of the book (in conjunction with being a major DC key of a present named hero)

Some of us like them because of their crudeness and simplicity. This was a nascent art form and they were blazing a trail.

Most of the early SA Marvel superhero books aren't exactly fine art, either, but most fans love them because of that quaint and campy melodrama they capture.

The 9.4 AA 16 has got to be there. I know Rick disagrees but I have yet to speak to anyone else who's opinion I value in the hobby that does not place it in the top 5 due to overall scarcity of the book (in conjunction with being a major DC key of a present named hero)

Which book in my top 5 does it displace? I believe question was 5 most valuable/expensive comics today?

I guarantee you john would sell the book for 2 mil if anyone would offer that. Yet that would not place it in top 5, so not sure how anyone can think ow (shrug)

To expand my thoughts

The mile high supes 1 would sell for more (#6 on my list)

The 9.8 cap 1 would sell for more

The 9.8 marvel 1 might sell for more

The 8.5 action 1 would sell for more

Etc

That's why I'm not sure it scratches top 10

Which book in my top 5 does it displace? I believe question was 5 most valuable/expensive comics today?

I guarantee you john would sell the book for 2 mil if anyone would offer that. Yet that would not place it in top 5, so not sure how anyone can think ow (shrug)

To expand my thoughts

Etc

that's a very solid extended list. I sometimes forget about the MH Supes #1, it's an 8.0 correct?

To expand my thoughts

Etc

that's a very solid extended list. I sometimes forget about the MH Supes #1, it's an 8.0 correct?

yes, cgc 8.0...and last I spoke to Beschara, 2 mil wouldn't even sniff him selling it

I stand corrected. I think our one time discussion of where this book "ranks" in the GA hierarchy bleed into my conscience and I totally disregarded the original question.......however, I gotta think top 10

I stand corrected. I think our one time discussion of where this book "ranks" in the GA hierarchy bleed into my conscience and I totally disregarded the original question.......however, I gotta think top 10

it might hit #10 value wise...only 9 other books "came" to me readily quickly... (thumbs u

...and last I spoke to Beschara, 2 mil wouldn't even sniff him selling it

How much does it usually cost to sniff Beschara?

Rick, I have another question.

Hypothetically.... an AF15 9.8 hits the market tomorrow. What is the hammer price in an auction setting?

maybe 2.5 mil ... really uncharted territory so not sure anyone other than a potential bidder can say

...and last I spoke to Beschara, 2 mil wouldn't even sniff him selling it

How much does it usually cost to sniff Beschara?

3 Heinekens at most

Mile High action 1 (raw)

Allentown tec 27 (raw)

9.2 w page tec 27 (cgc)

To expand my thoughts

Etc

Good list. But, I think you are leaving out Dave Anderson's Superman 1, which he apparently picked over the MH Superman 1. There's also the MH D27 too consider. Finally, anyone know what the SF All American 16 looks like? It is supposedly high grade.

Most of the early SA Marvel superhero books aren't exactly fine art, either, but most fans love them because of that quaint and campy melodrama they capture.

My point is that comic book illustration unfortunately was believed to be a poor mans or should I say a poor boy's art form. Illustrators who went into the field were "often" not the more skilled artists of the day. We like those covers for their iconic and nostalgic appeal as I do.

Edited by sartre

Also, in the 30's and 40's women's magazine illustration and advertising paid illustrators much more than pulp or comic art. Don't get me wrong I think Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Alex Raymond, Mac Rayboy, were amazing ... Its just most of the DC art that's most disappointing in my book.

Mile High action 1 (raw)

Allentown tec 27 (raw)

9.2 w page tec 27 (cgc)

To expand my thoughts

Etc

Good list. But, I think you are leaving out Dave Anderson's Superman 1, which he apparently picked over the MH Superman 1. There's also the MH D27 too consider. Finally, anyone know what the SF All American 16 looks like? It is supposedly high grade.

The mile high Tec 27 was a second hand copy. I believe it to be in the 7.5 range but I've never seen it. Daves supes 1 is unknown as well, so difficult to include

Does the sf aa16 have a coupon clipped?