• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I'd probably agree with the list.

No way 27 ever overtakes 1.

May I ask how old you are??

I'm not that old...I hope.

27 has been biting 1's heels for years. And isn't Batman more widely considered the most popular character in the hobby today?

Also, in the 90's, how many years did OSPG rank 27 as the #1 most valuable book?

OS also had marvel 1 #1 for a while, but that is highly unlikely to happen again...

the diff between action 1 and tec 27 is really not so much the popularity of the character (batman has been ahead of superman for 20+ years in popularity), but the importance action 1 is to our hobby...it has been awarded "king" status over and over and over again, that while I prefer tec 27, I don't see grade for grade it selling for more than a comparable action 1...not to say it cant, but what has to happen for it to...

I'd probably agree with the list.

No way 27 ever overtakes 1.

May I ask how old you are??

I'm not that old...I hope.

27 has been biting 1's heels for years. And isn't Batman more widely considered the most popular character in the hobby today?

Also, in the 90's, how many years did OSPG rank 27 as the #1 most valuable book?

I think both book was tied in terms of OSPG starting in 1990 and TEC 27 has been ahead most of the 1990's. I understand Babe Ruth is the more popular player in term of Baseball than Honus Wagner, but the Honus Wagner T-206 is the holy grail in the Baseball card world.

I see Rick's point. Since A1 is an earlier book...which book exists in less quantity Rick?
no way to know for sure...I would say very comperable

I see Rick's point. Since A1 is an earlier book...which book exists in less quantity Rick?
no way to know for sure...I would say very comperable

For some reason, there has been a lot more coverless TEC27 in the marketplace than coverless Action 1.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

the diff between action 1 and tec 27 is really not so much the popularity of the character (batman has been ahead of superman for 20+ years in popularity), but the importance action 1 is to our hobby...it has been awarded "king" status over and over and over again, that while I prefer tec 27, I don't see grade for grade it selling for more than a comparable action 1...not to say it cant, but what has to happen for it to...

I think the relative popularity between Batman and Superman, in popular culture, is a lot closer than comic fans tend to think. Consider this:

Until Gotham debuted this year, the only Batman related prime time live action tv show was the campy three season show that lasted from 1966 to 1968. In contrast, Superman has been a relative fixture of prime time live action tv with six season in the 1950s (1952-1958), four seasons of Superboy in the late 80s (1988-1992), four seasons of Lois and Clark in the 90s (1993-1997) and 10 seasons of Smallville (arguably the most popular live action superhero product of all time) in the 2000s (2001-2011). For those keeping count, that's 3 live action tv seasons of Batman (plus one of Gotham) to 24 live action tv seasons of Superman.

To restate the obvious: From the late 1988 to 2011, there were only three years when Superman was not on live action tv, including an amazing 10 year run for Smallville. That's incredible. And it shows the popularity of the character.

Superman also got the jump on Batman in theatre animation (Fleischer cartoons) and blew Batman away in the age of Radio, with 2046 episodes running from 1942-1952, to Batman's zero episodes. Superman was a constant weekly media (tv/radio) fixture in the 40s and 50s.

Superman and Batman had roughly equal exposure in tv animation (Supes had the early edge), serials (equal), and feature films (Batman has recent edge).

Long winded way of saying: Don't sell Superman short. People like the character, enjoy the non-comics media, and recognize his historic importance.

I think the relative popularity between Batman and Superman, in popular culture, is a lot closer than comic fans tend to think. Consider this:

Until Gotham debuted this year, the only Batman related prime time live action tv show was the campy three season show that lasted from 1966 to 1968. In contrast, Superman has been a relative fixture of prime time live action tv with six season in the 1950s (1952-1958), four seasons of Superboy in the late 80s (1988-1992), four seasons of Lois and Clark in the 90s (1993-1997) and 10 seasons of Smallville (arguably the most popular live action superhero product of all time) in the 2000s (2001-2011). For those keeping count, that's 3 live action tv seasons of Batman (plus one of Gotham) to 24 live action tv seasons of Superman.

To restate the obvious: From the late 1988 to 2011, there were only three years when Superman was not on live action tv, including an amazing 10 year run for Smallville. That's incredible. And it shows the popularity of the character.

Superman also got the jump on Batman in theatre animation (Fleischer cartoons) and blew Batman away in the age of Radio, with 2046 episodes running from 1942-1952, to Batman's zero episodes. Superman was a constant weekly media (tv/radio) fixture in the 40s and 50s.

Superman and Batman had roughly equal exposure in tv animation (Supes had the early edge), serials (equal), and feature films (Batman has recent edge).

Long winded way of saying: Don't sell Superman short. People like the character, enjoy the non-comics media, and recognize his historic importance.

Interesting discussion. In fact, maybe even more lopsided in Supes favor with respect to TV given that the 1960s Batman show really only lasted two and half years, beginning as a mid-season replacement.

Still, I think the enormous popularity of the Nolan Batman film trilogy probably trumps what was happening on TV. And now, of course, there's the Gotham show.

But I think your point may be right that as cultural icons, the two are pretty close.

probably neck and neck...I know from marketing stand point, I saw where batman memorabilia was outselling all other dc trademarks and was second only to spiderman (this was a few years ago)...

specifically I was referring to the comics, where batman has a sizeable edge...overall, they could very well be very close, but not sure another movie or tv show changes someone's mind about which book to drop 300K or 3mil on ...

I like Gotham and think it helps the Batman brand, even though Bruce Wayne is not the main focus.

But, in November 2016 we'll see the debut of the Supergirl tv series. Ending a five year gap with no Superman related tv shows.

Moreover, the Nolan Batman trilogy is now a thing of the past and that bump is over. Since that triology ended, the Man of Steel film made a good profit on $600M+ in gate (twice Batman Begins, less than the @$1B of Darkknight). And going forward, Batman's movie popularity is tied to Superman with the Batman v. Superman feature film and subsequent JLA movies.

Successful TV Shows often are based on a character that people want to hang out with on a daily basis. That fits Superman more than Batman (who's a little too intense) and may go to explain part of the appeal of the character that became the star of multiple TV series. Also, Superman's "S" logo is a good one that is simple, well-designed, easily identifiable and widely used.

I generally like Batman stories and movies more, but I think there's a great deal of staying power in the Superman character and image. It seems that he is still the "Ur" superhero.

I give Action 1 an additional bump as well because it contains the origin story. Batman is the only major GA first appearance that I can think of that doesn't contain the origin (despite what CBCS puts on its labels)

I think in 5 years, Tec 27 overtakes Action 1. Fairly obvious reasons
curious what these new fairly obvious reasons are, that haven't applied the last 20 years are?

don't get me wrong, I would probably pay more for same grade tec 27 vs action 1 if I could only get one,, but the market has spoken and spoken fairly loudly for some time now, so not sure what will change that (shrug)

curious what these new fairly obvious reasons are, that haven't applied the last 20 years are?

don't get me wrong, I would probably pay more for same grade tec 27 vs action 1 if I could only get one,, but the market has spoken and spoken fairly loudly for some time now, so not sure what will change that (shrug)

2263909-death_skull_bones_image_31001.jpg

2263909-death_skull_bones_image_31001.jpg

(shrug)

I think the 9.2 Tec 27 would break the Action 1 (9.0) record right now..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think with no problem!