• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hey G.A.tor,

Since the prices for Tec 38 have been all over the map this past year, what do you think is the going rate for a coverless copy?

My guess is it would command 3-5k on the low side

Hey G.A.tor,

Since the prices for Tec 38 have been all over the map this past year, what do you think is the going rate for a coverless copy?

Yes, seems this book was on the uptick for awhile there. From your point of view, is it still trending that way or is it on a slight down tick now from its recent euphoria?

What is your guess at the price per point for this book (up to 6.0 that is)? hm

Hey G.A.tor,

Yes, seems this book was on the uptick for awhile there. From your point of view, is it still trending that way or is it on a slight down tick now from its recent euphoria?

About 7k a point

Hey G.A.tor,

Thanks Rick (thumbs u

Hey G.A.tor,

About 7k a point

Thanks Gator (thumbs u

Must still be on a slight uptick then since I thought it was on a $5K to $6K price per point range near the end of last year.

Hey G.A.tor,

About 7k a point

Thanks Gator (thumbs u

Must still be on a slight uptick then since I thought it was on a $5K to $6K price per point range near the end of last year.

high demand still

1. What's the story on that Superman 1 on your facebook page?

Seems too good to not have been slabbed, but nice to see one out in the open. If this is discussed elsewhere on the board, let me know.

2. Are there any circumstances where you would re-slab a book? Does the new case design provide any incentive? I have a cracked one now, but don't really want to mess with it.

3. Hoarding GA keys in a bank vault seems greedy - is there any "public use" they can be put to, where they are (excessively) insured and safe? I asked the Smithsonian about this years ago, and they had some initial interest, but then dropped it. There's a traveling exhibit, but that seems more risky than the Smithsonian.

4. If you owned the restored 4.5 tec27 sold by Heritage this year (note: not me!): (http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-dc-1939-cbcs-restored-vg-45-extensive-amateur-off-white-pages/a/7124-91043.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515), would you:

a. professionally restore it even more (and if so, how high could it grade), or

b. try to remove the existing restoration (not sure if it's even possible); and

c. under either (a) or (b), would there be any value bump over $165K to justify either?

1. What's the story on that Superman 1 on your facebook page?

Seems too good to not have been slabbed, but nice to see one out in the open. If this is discussed elsewhere on the board, let me know.

2. Are there any circumstances where you would re-slab a book? Does the new case design provide any incentive? I have a cracked one now, but don't really want to mess with it.

3. Hoarding GA keys in a bank vault seems greedy - is there any "public use" they can be put to, where they are (excessively) insured and safe? I asked the Smithsonian about this years ago, and they had some initial interest, but then dropped it. There's a traveling exhibit, but that seems more risky than the Smithsonian.

4. If you owned the restored 4.5 tec27 sold by Heritage this year (note: not me!): (http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-dc-1939-cbcs-restored-vg-45-extensive-amateur-off-white-pages/a/7124-91043.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515), would you:

a. professionally restore it even more (and if so, how high could it grade), or

b. try to remove the existing restoration (not sure if it's even possible); and

c. under either (a) or (b), would there be any value bump over $165K to justify either?

1-was owned by a friend that recently passed

2-would reslabbing intending to sell

3-plenty of folks will insure I use collectinsure.com

4-I would remove the bad resto and re-restore professionally , however don't believe it was worth the 165 paid. But obviously worth it to the new owner

There's a small list of comics that most collectors give up trying to obtain due to their high price.

1. If you agree with this, can you describe what happens to prices and availability right before and right after a book "crosses the line"?

2. What books are on this list?

3. What are the most recent books?

4. Which books are getting close?

5. What's the price that stops most buyers? How has this # changed in the last 10+ years?

My guesses:

1. Not sure on this one, maybe a book might spike and seem to enter unobtainable, but then more copies show up and availability causes book price to lower.

Action 1, 7,10,13

Detective 27-38 batman covers

Marvel 1, 9

Cap 1

Allstar 8

More fun 73

Batman 1

Superman 1

3. More fun 73?

4.amazing Fantasy 15?

5. 6k for a presentable copy in any condition?

Thanks

There's a small list of comics that most collectors give up trying to obtain due to their high price.

1. If you agree with this, can you describe what happens to prices and availability right before and right after a book "crosses the line"?

5. What's the price that stops most buyers? How has this # changed in the last 10+ years?

My guesses:

1. Not sure on this one, maybe a book might spike and seem to enter unobtainable, but then more copies show up and availability causes book price to lower.

Action 1, 7,10,13

Marvel 1, 9

Cap 1

Allstar 8

More fun 73

Batman 1

Superman 1

3. More fun 73?

4.amazing Fantasy 15?

Thanks

AF 15 3.0 just sold for $11.5k on clink. Wow. I sold my 3.0 on the boards in 2009 for around $3k with the idea that with the market crash prices would go down and I could afford a higher grades copy. That did not work out well.

The More Fun 73 has skyrocketed to such a point that I've lost all interest in the book.

It's a better book than a relic like Adventure 48, but both are ridiculously overpriced IMHO.

Mf73 has fallen about 50% from highs. And each subsequent copy is selling a little less

Still well over 2 year ago pricing but a little more realistic.

My guesses:

Action 1, 7,10,13

Marvel 1, 9

Cap 1

Allstar 8

More fun 73

Batman 1

Superman 1

3. More fun 73?

4.amazing Fantasy 15?

Thanks

AF 15 3.0 just sold for $11.5k on clink. Wow. I sold my 3.0 on the boards in 2009 for around $3k with the idea that with the market crash prices would go down and I could afford a higher grades copy. That did not work out well.

Lower grade Af15 are avg 4K a point. This one slighty underperformed due to piece out front cover

How much does pieces missing from a low grade key affect the price? E.g. 1.0 AF15 with a corner clean chunk missing, some text and foot missing. You mentioned AF15 4K a point. Does pieces greatly affect this or is a book like this impervious to manmade defects?

How much does pieces missing from a low grade key affect the price? E.g. 1.0 AF15 with a corner clean chunk missing, some text and foot missing. You mentioned AF15 4K a point. Does pieces greatly affect this or is a book like this impervious to manmade defects?

Fc vs bc pieces out do affect price. At entry level it's less noticeable

At 3.0 is has pricing impact for sure

Thanks! Hypothetically speaking how much are we speculating that it affects prices on lower grade keys. $100? $500?

Thanks! Hypothetically speaking how much are we speculating that it affects prices on lower grade keys. $100? $500?

In this case $500

Hi Gator, quick question. How much would you estimate a Sensation Comics #1 front cover only would be worth (assuming it presents well)? Thanks!
an as8 fc just sold for 4500, so probably 2-3K these days, to someone that needs a fc