• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

8-10k should still get a decent 2.0-2.5 copy. Go for it. The rise will stall a bit at somepoint

Before it takes two steps forward again

I'm sure you would have a lot of buyers for a nice 2.5 in that price range Gator

I had a nice 2.5 at 10995 in Chicago and no buyer (shrug)

...is yours a File Copy or is it one of the subscription copies....? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not a file copy (or, at least, not labeled as a file copy):

lf_zpsd893d5dc.jpeg

The other three b&w Harvey books sent to subscribers were Stuntman 3, Flash Gordon 5, and All New 15. The BE 2 seems to be by far the most common of the four.

...is yours a File Copy or is it one of the subscription copies....? GOD BLESS....

lf_zpsd893d5dc.jpeg

The other three b&w Harvey books sent to subscribers were Stuntman 3, Flash Gordon 5, and All New 15. The BE 2 seems to be by far the most common of the four.

TERRIFIC! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

mm

8-10k should still get a decent 2.0-2.5 copy. Go for it. The rise will stall a bit at somepoint

I'm sure you would have a lot of buyers for a nice 2.5 in that price range Gator

You do multi year time payments? hm:shy:

You do multi year time payments? hm:shy:
:idea:

that's not in the range you quoted :makepoint:

no one offered 10 and a 2.0 would easily fall in that range :makepoint:

You concrete head Floridian :frustrated:

You said "8-10k should still get a decent 2.0-2.5 copy" yet your 2.5 was $11K. So either it wasn't "decent" or your range is off.

You said "8-10k should still get a decent 2.0-2.5 copy" yet your 2.5 was $11K. So either it wasn't "decent" or your range is off.

you of all people know that I don't carry average copies , mine are always superior Eye appeal and therefore would command a 10% premium to a "decent" copy ;)

lf_zpsd893d5dc.jpeg

HELP! Has anyone ever seen a copy of Flash Gordon #5?

you of all people know that I don't carry average copies , mine are always superior Eye appeal and therefore would command a 10% premium to a "decent" copy ;)

Gator is one of the few of us that believe in this concept. The problem is that too much focus is put on GPA and the last sale or the average copy sale. It's a curse as a seller to know what many of the sales actually happen at, because they're dominantly far more than GPA, and one looks greedy by asking such a number.

When talking about mega keys, we'll often pay more than GPA too; that story doesn't seem to be told as often.

As opposed to Gators methodology, I will buy "less-than-average" copies from time to time, but I'll always disclose and price them as such. I think Gator will just pass on these everytime. Not saying one method is better or worse, but it does say that Gators price will less often look attractive relative to "market", particularly when looking just at partial data.

Joey

Do you still have it?

Do you still have it?

nope sold post show.

lf_zpsd893d5dc.jpeg

HELP! Has anyone ever seen a copy of Flash Gordon #5?

Overstreet says it was sent to subscribers, but I've never seen a copy or heard of anyone who has.

Gator is one of the few of us that believe in this concept. The problem is that too much focus is put on GPA and the last sale or the average copy sale. It's a curse as a seller to know what many of the sales actually happen at, because they're dominantly far more than GPA, and one looks greedy by asking such a number.

When talking about mega keys, we'll often pay more than GPA too; that story doesn't seem to be told as often.

As opposed to Gators methodology, I will buy "less-than-average" copies from time to time, but I'll always disclose and price them as such. I think Gator will just pass on these everytime. Not saying one method is better or worse, but it does say that Gators price will less often look attractive relative to "market", particularly when looking just at partial data.

Joey

At the right price I will consider copies outside my business model. But I will also sell outside my normal presentation (unless a consigned copy). At the end of the day we all do what we do for reasons only we need understand ;)

If you were starting from scratch today as not only a dealer but also as a collector which area(s) of the hobby would you turn your attention to first?

My personal interests would lead me to collect batman 1 up, assuming I was starting over and didn't have the knowledge I already have

From a dealer perspective I would continue to accumulate high demand books across all ages/genres that I felt I could resell (hopefully profitably )

Maybe you've been asked before but since it's a hot topic with collectors your thoughts on pressing on GA books (1940s,1950s). I've never had one done and only own one CGC book that I'm aware was pressed (it was a BA book and disclosed by the seller Greg Reece).

I've heard some horror stories of pressing going wrong on books and everything I've read so far says long term effects on the book are probably minor.

What's your opinion on it?

Thanks.

Maybe you've been asked before but since it's a hot topic with collectors your thoughts on pressing on GA books (1940s,1950s). I've never had one done and only own one CGC book that I'm aware was pressed (it was a BA book and disclosed by the seller Greg Reece).

I've heard some horror stories of pressing going wrong on books and everything I've read so far says long term effects on the book are probably minor.

What's your opinion on it?

Thanks.

there will always be a percentage of "bad" press jobs that damage a book...I've seen the waffling effect, I've seen books where exchange paper stuck to cover and ripped cover or pieces lost from cover....heard of books being pressed that split spine (book was obviously too fragile to press)...

that said, cellulose strands are bleached and pressed at time of production...so pressing them properly should have no long term effects, other than removing the flaw